Finally taking charge of my life

Options
From childhood all the way to 18-19 I was in good shape. I worked out daily, I played sports, and I danced. Along with that I also ate pretty healthy for a kid.
Then I broke my ankle for the 5th time and the damage was so bad I had to have it operated on. This meant no more sports, limited activity, etc. I became angry and bored so I started eating everything. At 5'4 I averaged around 120lbs and was so comfortable with myself(more comfortable than most teenage girls) within a few short months I got up to 145lbs which is still within range for my height but I was far less toned and not remotely happy. Since that time I gained even more weight. At my heaviest I got up to 185lbs. I yo-yo dieted for a year or two but never stuck with it and always made excuses.
Not long after becoming engaged I had a moment where I was walking up a set of stairs and just couldn't catch my breath. I sat down and had a moment of self pity. After that I realized I've been so ridiculous these last few years. I may not be able to do the same activities that I use to but I have two working legs and a functioning brain so there is nothing keeping me from really making a change in my life.
I'm 23 and my life is just starting. I'm in my prime. Happily engaged to an incredibly supportive man. I have an education and a job. Wonderful friends, family, and a plethora of resources at my hands. It's time to stop making excuses. It's time to stop hating myself. It's time to take responsibility for my health, happy, and well being.

Anyway I joined a year ago but was never active.
I'm excited to be here though. I've heard lots of positive things and it's always wonderful to have support and feedback. I look forward to getting to know you guys better and utilizing MFP as much as I can.

7110410.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• laceylou0702
    laceylou0702 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Welcome back & good luck, you can do it!
  • kmyates
    kmyates Posts: 7
    Options
    Thanks I appreciate! I know I can do it I just have to keep myself motivated.

I'm always looking for motivation, encouragement, and a good kick in the butt for being a baby about it at times.
  • NoSharpei
    NoSharpei Posts: 73
    Options
    Way to go kmyates! You will get back more than you give. MFP is a great resource.. And the people here are wonderful - all very supportive and friendly. Take it one step, one meal and one glass of water at a time.. You will reach your goal!
  • kmyates
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement. That's exactly what I'm trying to do. Just take it one day at a time. The weight loss is great but I really just want to be healthy. I want to walk up a flight of steps and not feel worn from it. I want to jog with my active dog and for once outpace him. I want to wake up knowing I'm my best. So yeah, while I'd love to have the body I had at 16 what I really want is the energy, confidence, and attitude.
  • sheschemes
    Options
    You can do this! Are you trying to get back in to any of your old sports? Rec teams and pick up games can be a lot of fun.
  • kmyates
    Options
    Well dance is pretty much out of the question for me now. My ankles aren't strong enough and there really isn't any type of strength training or physical therapy that I can do that will get it back to the point it was. I have a new found love for Zumba though which is active enough and quite fun.
    I do some occasional slow pitch softball but not the competitive fast pitch I use to. I'd love to get back in to it but there really aren't any adult fast pitch leagues around here.
    I am looking for other recreational activities to get into though. Be active is so much easier when you're having fun.
  • paulaann67
    paulaann67 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear you're back this is the most practical way to,do it! Feel free to add me I'm on every day! :smile:
  • CDCO
    CDCO Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I just joined a few days ago and will introduce myself in a later post. I just wanted to say good luck! Congrats on your engagement and feel free to add me. I like you am tired of feeling sorry for myself and complaining, but not doing anything about my body. You are so young! I hope you reach your goal for your wedding and get your life back!

I love Zumba! It's a great workout!
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Welcome back and good luck.

Have you thought about swimming as that will keep all the weight of your ankle?
  • sheschemes
    Options
    Well dance is pretty much out of the question for me now. My ankles aren't strong enough and there really isn't any type of strength training or physical therapy that I can do that will get it back to the point it was. I have a new found love for Zumba though which is active enough and quite fun.
    I do some occasional slow pitch softball but not the competitive fast pitch I use to. I'd love to get back in to it but there really aren't any adult fast pitch leagues around here.
    I am looking for other recreational activities to get into though. Be active is so much easier when you're having fun.

I had a very similar end to my dancing career and I missed it so badly. These days I help with a weekly community dance class and try to go salsa dancing with my guy. We may take a tango class this summer if everything goes well. It 's definitely possible to dance again, even if it's not the same way you used to (I'm assuming ballet since it's an ankle thing).