Looking for SIMPLE healthy dinner recipes

Options
I hate to cook. I really, honestly despise it. Just to tell you my loathing for food preparation, I'd rather eat a plain sandwich with only deli meat and mayo than be bothered to cut up a tomato or some cheese to go on it. But I have to make dinner for my family, or else my husband will keep tempting me with takeout, LOL.

I am looking for SIMPLE but healthy and tasty dinner recipes:

* The fewer ingredients the better
* I prefer foods that cook in the oven, so I don't have to stand in the kitchen. (I'd rather cook something in the oven for two hours than in a skillet for 15 minutes)
* I'm not looking for necessarily low fat, or low carb, really just "real" foods -- IOW, not frozen pizza

Some things I typically make for dinner (though I don't have any idea how healthy they are):

* Spaghetti with meat sauce (spaghetti + sauce from a jar + ground beef)
* Tacos (ground beef + Taco Bell seasoning + taco shells + refried beans + shredded cheese)
* Shepherd's Pie (ground beef + powdered gravy + frozen peas & carrots + mashed potatoes)
* Lentils and Sausage (lentils + sausage + salt + pepper)
* Chicken and Macaroni & Cheese (chicken thighs + salt + pepper + boxed mac & cheese)

Links to recipes with photos would be awesome, if you have any. :)

Replies

• steadk
    steadk Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    crockpot recipes will be your new favorite thing!! There are some awesome ones that are really easy.
    Here are two i found online right quick
    http://busycooks.about.com/od/beefsteakrecipes/r/cpswsteakbeans.htm
    http://busycooks.about.com/od/porkentreerecipes/r/crockshould.htm

I made some pork chops the other day that were awesomely simple and good.
    1 pound center cut pork chops-i used thin cut ones
    1 cup salsa
    1 can green chilies
    Cumin
    cheddar cheese

Sear pork chops in skillet with olive oil for about 2 min per side. While cooking, mix salsa, chilies, and cumin. Once flipped, add salsa mix and cover for about 5 min. Add cheese and cover again until melted.
  • MrsWilsoncroft
    MrsWilsoncroft Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I have a gorgeous recipe from my weight watchers recipe book.

A piece of chicken breast
    2 low fat sausages
    some chopped veg such as carrots and onion
    some gravy

put it all in the pot and leave to cook for around 1 hour.
    Its beautiful x
  • MrsWilsoncroft
    MrsWilsoncroft Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Also if you are a member of www.minimins.com I have posted loads of recipes and photos of the meals on there.
    Here is my profile if you want to check it out...

http://www.minimins.com/slimming-world-recipes/205214-pizza-topped-chicken.html
  • llunchyka
    llunchyka Posts: 12
    Options
    I love to eat a hot soup in the evening. It is light, healthy and it fills me for 2 or 3 hours before I go to bed. I usually make it out of all sorts of veggies, my favorite is made of half of a zucchini and a big carrot which I chop in small pieces and then cook for 5 or so minutes. At the end I add a little bit of skimmed milk or a teaspoon of sour cream.
    Another that tastes great is made out of a small potato and broccoli. I mix it before serving.
  • michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Thanks, those all sound good!
  • bjfrezell
    bjfrezell Posts: 241
    Options
    I don't like cooking during the week because we are always rushed.

I do breakfast burritos (but I only do them at night):
    Eggbeaters or scrambled eggs in a skillet with 1 tablespoon of salsa - maybe 2 minutes to cook. You can also cook it in the microwave in a mug for about 1 minute 30 seconds.
    Take 1 laughing cow light chipotle wedge, smear it on a low fat tortilla, pile on the eggs. Wrap up and eat.
    It's yummy and has plenty of protein.

We also sometimes just cut up some veggies (green pepper, onions, mushrooms, and tomatoes) and sliced ham, throw it in a skilled with eggbeaters or eggs, and and sprinkle low fat cheese on it to make omelets. Fast and nutritious.
  • Salvi30
    Salvi30 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Baked chicken or salmon. Mixed vegetables, maybe a sweet potato... That should be enough. It's simple and good.
  • mashley486
    Options
    I also hate to cook and quite often don't have much time to cook after work before having to run my son to some sporting event. We were looking for healty, quick recipes so my husband bought the book "Eating for Life" - it just arrived in the mail. I scanned throught it for the first time today - it has pictures of all the meals and pictures of all the ingredients. It says some of the meals can be completed in as little as 15 minutes. I actually can't wait to cook something!
  • ixiHemlock
    ixiHemlock Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Um, salad? How easy/lazy and healthy could you get?

-handfuls of spinach/lettuce
    -fat-free dressing
    -bell pepper (optional)
    -feta (optional)
    -tomato (optional)
    - chopped, cooked chicken breast (optional)
    - tomatoes (optional)

the list goes on... :) just put it all in a tubblewear with a lid and shake it. Then put it in the serving bowl.
  • andream1976
    andream1976 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I love www.tasteofhome.com. They have tons of recipes, listed by just about any category you could think of. There are pictures for most of the recipes and on the "healthy" ones nutrition information is listed. They also have several cookbooks and magazines, but I would imagine they have most of their recipes all online, too.

Personally, I love crock pot meals. So simple yet when the food comes out it seems like YOU spent all day cooking when in reality all you did was throw some food into the crock and turn it on! LOL I like "Fix it & Forget it-5 Ingredients Favorites" by Phyllis Pellman Good. There are no pics, but it's very easy to follow and there are a ton of recipes, all for the crock pot. I use it often.

If you like cooking with ground beef, consider adding or subbing beef with ground turkey. I promise you, your family won't notice the difference. There's nothing wrong with ground beef, especially if you cook with the lean kind, but turkey is so good for you and has a very mild flavor so can be used in a lot of dishes. I made a great taco soup using ground turkey and even the kids liked it. And if you like using the boxed versions of things like Hamburger Helper and Mac & Cheese, try simply using elbow mac or egg noodles with chicken broth, a little seasoning, & a little butter...much healthier and tastier, I think. :) Same goes for pizza. We love pizza, but the freezer section's selections are awful, terribly bad for you! Even just buying the Pillsbury thin crust pizza dough (refrigerated kind) is way better, or a Boboli pizza crust. Add tomato sauce, turkey pepperoni, shredded cheese, etc and you have yummy homemade pizza. We also like to make a chicken ranch pizza and a chicken pesto pizza where pesto replace the traditoinal tomato based sauce. It's delish.

Don't be afraid....I used to hate cooking, too, then I learned a few new recipes and found it doesn't have to be fancy...just good on the tastebuds and the waist line. :)