I need to start toning soon- Advice?

Options
Hey!

first of all, sorry if you think I post a lot! I just try to get the advice i need to get me where I want to be as it is how I am at my current progress now :)

This is my current shape, and once I lose a few more pounds I must start toning.

frontview-04.jpg?w=560&h=292
backview-04.jpg?w=560&h=292
sideview-04.jpg?w=560&h=424

Does anyone have any suggestions on cheaper, but convenient ways of doing this? Ill have a lot of free time in 3 weeks (as i finish education and have time spare until August!) but the gym is out of the question!

Thanks so much for the help so far and the help to come :D

Replies

• yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    I actually would start adding in strength training ASAP. No need to wait until you've lost a few more pounds. You will be astounded at the difference it makes to your body composition, your posture and your overall feeling of fitness. I started out with just some Jillian Michaels DVDs in addition to my regular cardio, then progressed to body weight high intensity interval training routines I found on the web and now I visit the gym to lift heavy weights three or so times a week. Even though I haven't lost a ton of pounds, the difference in how I look is remarkable!
  • amymarie8709
    amymarie8709 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting/training. Start with body weight. Jillian Michaels has amazing stuff. Also, try youtube to look up exercises. and bodyrock.tv. Those are all great for ideas and routines to start you out.
  • bluemorpho1247
    bluemorpho1247 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    :) thanks!! I have 2 of the Julian DVD's, did them for a shot while but I lose willpower as i cant do repetative stuff. may start the youtube vids again for a while! Still want to wait 3 weeks as uni is first, but as soon as that is over... GET ON IT!
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    You should start strength training now. Lift heavy weights. Jillian Michaels dvds are not heavy lifting.

Lifting programs: New Rules of Lifting for Women, StrongLifts 5x5, Starting Strength.
  • bluemorpho1247
    Options
    Oki doki! Does this help with body parts like tummy and legs too?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Can you define what toning means in this context?
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options

Yes. Although you can't spot reduce, you will likely see a difference in these areas. Also take measurements and don't rely on the scale as much, because it will lie to you. :flowerforyou:
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options

A puppy dies every time someone uses the word "tone."
  • bluemorpho1247
    Options
    Yup :) I want to improve strength and condition of the muscles so my body appears more lean and 'in place' and my body fat is reduced :) Firm up a little
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    you build muscle by lifting heavy weights, eating an appropriate number of calories, and being very diligent--muscle growth takes time.
  • amymarie8709
    Options

Yes. Although you can't spot reduce, you will likely see a difference in these areas. Also take measurements and don't rely on the scale as much, because it will lie to you. :flowerforyou:
    so true!! I still weigh myself, but I only pay close attention to my body fat%.
  • amymarie8709
    Options

LOL. Poor puppies!!!
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    you need to add weight training...as someone else said, you can't spot reduce so you will probably see "toning" or "muscle" in other areas way before the core. just the way the body is. do exercices that work the core while you work other areas.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options

LOL. Poor puppies!!!

lol
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Yup :) I want to improve strength and condition of the muscles so my body appears more lean and 'in place' and my body fat is reduced :) Firm up a little

Gotcha. Agree with the strength training advice. Start lifting heavy. Start last Thursday if possible. Continue eating at a deficit. Profit! :)

Also, see Staci for inspiration.

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • amymarie8709
    Options

Gotcha. Agree with the strength training advice. Start lifting heavy. Start last Thursday if possible. Continue eating at a deficit. Profit! :)

Also, see Staci for inspiration.

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Awesome article!!! Thanks for sharing!!!
  • bluemorpho1247
    Options
    Just wanna say a HUGE Thanks to those who encouraged me to start ASAP rather than wait. Its taking just 20 mins a day and i feel great now I have powered through my first routine!! Feel amazing!! Using my own body weight to begin with then I will progress :D Thanks guys!!
  • Zombierawr
    Zombierawr Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Can I throw in some advice too? I bought exercise bands on amazon for like $20 with shipping. And there are 6 week challenges online— 100 pushups in 6 weeks, 200 sit ups, 200 squats etc. If you are looking for cheap alternatives. :)