P90x whats it really like?

Options
Hi

I am looking at starting p90x and just wanted some advice/reviews on the programme. Whats it like? Is it very time consuming and what sort of results can you achieve?

Any help/info would be great

Thanks

Replies

• Zombierawr
    Zombierawr Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I love it! I am about to restart it actually — I got sick and had to take weeks off. I cannot wait to jump back in.

It's definitely intense— I recommend watching some of the videos and trying them before doing the program. I waited about 3 weeks after I got the program to actually begin in order to feel like the videos weren't so terrifying. It is definitely extreme though.

If you do classic or lean, you are looking at. 60-90 minutes a day. I personally don't think that's too much time. You lose inches like CRAZY.
  • smpreston
    smpreston Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    P90X is a great program. In the past year, I've lost almost 50 lbs with it, P90X2 and even some help from TurboFire. It is a tough program is you are out of shape. But it is easily modified for different fitness levels. It is three days of resistance training (75 minutes) two days of cardio (60 minutes) and one day of yoga (90 minutes). I prefer dumbbells, but you can get away with resistance bands. You'll also need a pull up bar or pull up station or a hook up high for your bands.

If you have any other questions, just shoot me a message and I'll do my best to answer from experience.
  • hongruss
    hongruss Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    P90X is a full body system, the discs are seperated so you concetrate on certain body parts per day. It is a six days/60mins(+) program & if you eat right you will see massive changes. You will need a chin up bar(preferably) or bands, the bands work well, they just need a little more personal adjustment. Also you can use weights or bands, I would recommend weights, as it is a lot easier to track week on week.

Other than that you will just need to fuel your body correctly & get enough sleep. These w/outs are tough BUT so modifiable that nearly anyone can do them! Tony shows you how to mdify & constantly encourages you to do ONLY what you can.

In short I am a massive P90X fan & each time you do it you will learn more about yourself & your body :)

Russ
  • libby328
    libby328 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I love p90x! It's actually really great! Hard, yes it is, but you know you are getting a decent workout in everyday! If you dedicate yourself to it for say 3 weeks I don't know if you will want to stop. On rest days you feel lazy lol! I am sold for life :)
  • earlyxer
    earlyxer Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Hi

I am looking at starting p90x and just wanted some advice/reviews on the programme. Whats it like? Is it very time consuming and what sort of results can you achieve?

Any help/info would be great

Thanks

P90X is a program that works. It's also one that won't bore you - I've been doing it for over 4 years, interspersed with P90X2, Insanity, and some other programs. But it's the one to which I keep returning though. It is not easy, but unless you are practically an invalid, you will be able to complete it. It is also good in that the investment in equipment is not high (at first, lol). If you're going with bands, I recommend purchasing Beachbody's. They are a little pricey, but worth it. I once had a cheap Gold's Gym band snap on me and it left a welt on my forearm that stayed for weeks, so don't skimp. Of course, dumbbells are better but at $1 a pound, as you progress things can get expensive. Not too bad if you're using 20's or 30's, but if you are strong, a back exercise can warrant using 60's or 70's - do the math.

I have to say that I used only a few recipes of the nutrition plan. They are fine recipes, but just don't suit the way I live. Too many ingredients without secondary uses. I stick to the basics - lean proteins and fibrous vegetables. Chicken and turkey breast, eggs-eggs-eggs!, lean red meat, white fish, broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, whole grains.....

Keep pushing play is the motto.....
  • shimmer_glo
    shimmer_glo Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Tony Horton is really enthusiastic, and sometimes I found his antics a little obnoxious, but overall, I liked P90X. One should probably be used to at least 30 minutes of daily regular exercise, including weight training, before starting this program, though. It's a little harder than just basic beginning, get in shape exercise.

One really nice thing about the DVD's is that each section of exercise includes a countdown clock so you can see how much time is left. That helped me not check out when I got tired, since I could see that if I pushed for a few more minutes or seconds, I'd be done. I didn't ever complete the entire program because devoting that much time each day, especially trying to plan the use of the TV around other family members, didn't work well for me at the time. I've considered going through the series and writing down each move so I can do a scaled down version without the TV, but haven't had time to do that yet!

There were also some workouts I liked better than others. I would definitely recommend P90X, because the workouts really torch calories and build strength. Even if you don't do the entire program, you have a whole bunch of workout DVD's to choose if you want to change up your current program or focus on one problem area. The abs DVD is a killer -- I couldn't get through the first 5 minutes.
  • rgoodearl
    rgoodearl Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    P90X works!

Tony is a fantastic trainer!

Time commitment = about 1 hour a day (you can modify most of the exercises)

Jan2010May2011.jpg
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    I did P90X last year and lost a lot of inches very quickly. I liked the program. I really liked Tony Horton. The thing I didn't like is the constant touting of Shakeology. You don't NEED it to survive. Are the ingredients amazing? Yes. Will you see results if you don't use shakeology? yes. I had already lost a lot of weight when I started the program, so I didn't follow their meal plans. All you need to do is eat enough within your calorie range and make sure you meet your macro requirements.

I should say, I hated yoga. I would procrastinate so much on yoga days. People kept telling me I'd love it eventually. Never happened. The rest of the DVDs were good fun, but I still shudder when I think of Yoga X. Also, I didn't have a pull-up bar when I did it. I just did rows during the workouts and then would run to the park later and do pull-ups on the monkey bars.
  • BigRich822
    BigRich822 Posts: 681
    Options
    Its not super time consuming. I liked it but, I stopped it and started doing insanity. I like that so much more. It is very easy on my shins. I get shin splints real bad so Its hard for me to run. I love it on my cardio days.
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I just started yesterday, and I love it :) I am following the Phase 1 fatshredder meal plan also. Not to a T, but for the most part. Eating clean and sticking with portions and amounts of veggies, proteins etc allowed in the day. I just bought protein powder and skim milk at the grocery store for my protein shakes. I don't think you need shakeology or any of that. I bought P90X off craigslist to make it cheaper. And I only have up to 40lb dumbbells, which is all I need for now. I will get more later if I need. I will say you do need a pull up bar, or resistance band that goes in the door, or you will miss out on quite a few exercises.
    I did chest and back yesterday with ab ripper, and every muscle in my body is kind of sore today ... Which I like, makes me feel like its working. lol I'm out of shape, so I couldn't keep up with every single thing they were doing, but I tried and did the best I could. The longer I do it, the better I'll get. The work outs are long. You have to commit to about an hour a day 6 days a week. And you can split some things up... yesterday I did chest and back in the morning, and at noon I did ab ripper. Whatever works for you. Good luck!