Thoughts on maintaining?

Options
I've hit a weight where I feel comfortable enough with myself that I can go out more often and do things (this is a huge accomplishment for me, I was missing important things like school before I lost some weight). I'm in at the low end of my "ideal weight range" for my height and body frame.

However, on days I go above 1200, but under my maintenance level, I feel so guilty. I feel like I should be allowing myself a day or two a week to just maintain, since I've come pretty far, but my mind is still stuck in the mode that if I'm not losing weight every day that I'm a failure.

Anybody else have issues with this?

Replies

• roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    bump :(
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Well the reason I clicked on this is because I'm at maintenance, and thought it might apply to me. But then it turned out to be completely different, so... maybe that's why you're not getting replies. Or because it's only been 6 minutes.
  • roachhaley
    Options
    Well the reason I clicked on this is because I'm at maintenance, and thought it might apply to me. But then it turned out to be completely different, so... maybe that's why you're not getting replies. Or because it's only been 6 minutes.

Uh, I thought "General Diet and Weight Loss Help" would cover me. if it didn't apply to you, why did you reply?
  • ichangedmyname3
    ichangedmyname3 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm finding this so hard as well! I'm also at the low end of optimal and while I actually want to lose more, my boyfriend is forcing me into eating my 'maintenance' calories instead of losing... but I feel so scared, like I will gain all the weight back. I would love more people to comment on this post.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    It takes some getting used to. I maintained for 12 years, and under most people's definition am still maintaining.
    I give myself nights out, but am generally careful. I eat healthy the test of the time. But I hear you. it it's a weird feeling.
  • Aerohead21
    Aerohead21 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I've seen people suggest gradually increasing calories to your maintenance level instead of just jumping up to maintenance level. I'd like to hink this would work because it allows you time to adjust to all the changes including emotional changes. I think the fear is valid and shouldn't be ignored. I think if you feel comfortable where you are at you should try to maintain and if you feel like maybe you aren't done you can come back to it :) just like losing weight took time and transition so will maintaining.

Also, I want to apologize that someone would actually criticize you because this situation didn't apply to them and therefore you weren't getting replies. In addition, one minute is enough for a thread to get buried so I think it's ok you bumped at six. By the way, this doesn't apply to me either so I hope you don't mind my sharing my suggestion and personal opinion. I have been researching and reading up on dieting, exercising, plateaus, maintaining, and nutrition. Since I am so far from maintaining I haven't done much research on it yet.
  • roachhaley
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I knew I couldn't be the only one out there dealing with this.

Some days are good and I eat 1300-1400 calories. Some days are bad and I eat 900. I still want to lose a few pounds but I'm okay with doing it slowly. It's just so hard to ever think of the scale going up again.

I'd love more posts on this thread! I know this must be a subject a lot of people have at least thought about. All throughout my weight loss I was just thinking about losing weight, but now as I'm closing in on my goal I'm completely lost as to what to think.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I've been maintaining for the most part of 7 years now. Its a tricky thing to find your maintenance calories, and mine have changed because of my workouts. I used to be really skinny after I lost all my baby weight 7 1/2 years ago - I did a low calorie diet w/ exercise and got down to 105 pounds in 4 months. I stayed liked that for a couple of years and ate approx 1200 calories per day (give or take a little, and I had one cheat day/refeed a week). Even at that approx calorie range I would lose, there was a point I was down to 102 pounds. Then I started lifting weights and decided I wanted to get rid of the cellulite, so once I started educating myself I realized I needed to eat more and gain a little weight to get to my goal.

I have found my maintenance is now 1900 (approx). I usually eat 1800 a day, plus a little more to accomodate my lifting on those days. You will need to play around with the numbers to figure out where you are. It will take a few months...and you might gain a couple pounds during that time, but you'll have to play around with the numbers until you figure out what's right for you. Good luck!
  • groomchick
    groomchick Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Try adding cals to your diet slowly over a number of weeks. Some days will be harder than others to get it in.... but you'll get there and find a level of comfort.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I've seen people suggest gradually increasing calories to your maintenance level instead of just jumping up to maintenance level. I'd like to hink this would work because it allows you time to adjust to all the changes including emotional changes. I think the fear is valid and shouldn't be ignored. I think if you feel comfortable where you are at you should try to maintain and if you feel like maybe you aren't done you can come back to it :) just like losing weight took time and transition so will maintaining.

Also, I want to apologize that someone would actually criticize you because this situation didn't apply to them and therefore you weren't getting replies. In addition, one minute is enough for a thread to get buried so I think it's ok you bumped at six. By the way, this doesn't apply to me either so I hope you don't mind my sharing my suggestion and personal opinion. I have been researching and reading up on dieting, exercising, plateaus, maintaining, and nutrition. Since I am so far from maintaining I haven't done much research on it yet.

I agree with all of this.

Gradually increase your calories. Get to where you are comfortable at 1300-1400, then increase again. You shouldn't have problems adjusting to maintenance if you do it slowly. Also, if you haven't already, start strength training. That will help you gain strength and muscle, which will help you burn some more fat while still eating a higher amount of calories.

And I am also sorry that someone would be rude when you asked a perfectly valid question.
  • sewedo1
    sewedo1 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    The closer I got to my goal weight, the lower I set my goal for "pounds per week" on MFP. I was set at .5 pounds for a couple of months before reaching my goal. I also ate at maintenance for a few weeks and then backed up to the .5 loss. I now maintain within a 4 pound range. Psychologically, it did take some adjustment to eating more calories at the maintenance level.
  • russellma
    russellma Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Are you satisfied with the thought of having to eat 1200 calories for the rest of your life in order to maintain your weight?

Losing weight is supposed to give you freedom, not become a cage. It's possible to live without obsessing over everything.

Your body is designed to adapt. Right now, it's adapted to function on a fraction of the calories that it's capable of handling and still maintain a healthy weight. My guess is that your BMR (the number of calories you burn doing nothing) is higher than what you're eating.

Like someone else suggested, I would gradually increase your calories to allow your mind and body to adapt to a new "normal". Pick a number you won't feel guilty about... maybe add 25-50 extra calories to your daily goal each week until you're where you can maintain comfortably?

You're more likely to maintain your success if you can climb out of your cage and enjoy your new lifestyle! Good luck! :)
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Are you satisfied with the thought of having to eat 1200 calories for the rest of your life in order to maintain your weight?

Losing weight is supposed to give you freedom, not become a cage. It's possible to live without obsessing over everything.

Your body is designed to adapt. Right now, it's adapted to function on a fraction of the calories that it's capable of handling and still maintain a healthy weight. My guess is that your BMR (the number of calories you burn doing nothing) is higher than what you're eating.

Like someone else suggested, I would gradually increase your calories to allow your mind and body to adapt to a new "normal". Pick a number you won't feel guilty about... maybe add 25-50 extra calories to your daily goal each week until you're where you can maintain comfortably?

You're more likely to maintain your success if you can climb out of your cage and enjoy your new lifestyle! Good luck! :)
    ^^^This! I think what may have been confusing is that OP was talking about maintaining, and then said she eats 1200 a day. That's not even close to maintenance for most people. If she is netting 1200 a day, then at least she'd be used to eating 1400-1600. That is unfortunate, and one reason why I'm in the "eat more, weigh less" camp.

The advice given above makes sense and I suggest a gradual increase. Good luck!:smile:
  • roachhaley
    Options

^^^This! I think what may have been confusing is that OP was talking about maintaining, and then said she eats 1200 a day. That's not even close to maintenance for most people. If she is netting 1200 a day, then at least she'd be used to eating 1400-1600. That is unfortunate, and one reason why I'm in the "eat more, weigh less" camp.

The advice given above makes sense and I suggest a gradual increase. Good luck!:smile:

Yeah, I understand why what I said could have sounded odd, but I'm dealing with an eating disorder so 1200 is really a LOT of calories for me! One step at a time.

Thanks for all of the advice guys. I really enjoy the support.