finally timed a treadmill 5k!

Options
I signed up for LA fitness today and finished a 5k! I timed it and I was able to finish it in 49 minutes... is this a good time for a beginner???

Replies

• jroja021
    jroja021 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    =[ no one responds!

EDIT: strike that! some one did, plus I realized why its slow.. it's friday!!
  • pgp90xer
    pgp90xer Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I am no expert but I would say say it is good. My first 5k was 37 minutes and my wife was around 45-50 minutes. We have since ran a few more races and improved each time. I think thats the best thing you can do is just keep trying to do your best each time.

Good Luck!
  • jroja021
    Options
    thank you! I was worried that I took too much, since i jogged/walked...
  • Nastasha915
    Nastasha915 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Just be proud of yourself for doing it. I've been thinking about doing it, but have been too afraid of the results. Good for you!!!
  • creature275
    creature275 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    5k is 3.1 miles so a "good" time from an athletes point of view is easily under 20 minutes. but thats not important whats important is your own goals and to continuously try to beat yourself
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Times in running are somewhat subjective, as you'll find out.

For me, a "good" time for a 5K is around 30-32mins. My best time (many, many moons ago, and not recently) was 28:32. But that's for me. For a runner who is a lot faster, like a more elite athlete a "good" time can be 20 mins or less. For me, that would be a crazy time, not just a good one, haha.

Just finishing strong is a good time, no matter what the official time is. Good for you for doing it!
  • jroja021
    Options
    Thanks all for the replies! I guess I was just wondering what everyones time was for their first 5k on their journey.
  • lizbasick
    lizbasick Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am very new to running and I just did just a treadmill 5k a week ago for the first time EVER! I ran it in 45 mins. A few days ago I did it again and I took 3 mins off my time! Good job completing a 5k!
  • jroja021
    Options
    Awesome and thanks!
  • Pizzagirl50
    Pizzagirl50 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    That's a great time! I've been running for a year and it still takes me 40-42 min for a 5k. It's all about YOUR pace. If you're running comfortable and don't feel like you're dying then that's a good pace. Speed will come as you get more conditioned for running.