Tips needed for exercising over the age of 50 Years

Options
Getting slim and fit after the age of 50 has its own challenges. One slows down, and hormone levels have changed. Would love some over 50 friends for motivation and support, and to exchange ideas for exercises for the not so young.

Replies

• LemonSnap
    LemonSnap Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I work in a home office and am on the computer all day too.

I've recently been taking a break every hour or hour and half to do a five minute desk-side walk.

Adding five or six of these a day to my normal routine does seem to have boosted my weight loss a a bit. However, the major benefit is the reduced stiffness and lethargy you get from working at the computer. And, today I was out playing golf and feel that I have far more stamina now.

Take a look at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bot9ma_sIh0

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=PnsfbneFQ_8

You seem to be doing well so far. All the best with it.

Del
  • rkennedy54
    Options
    Hello,
    Saw your post and I am in that age category over 50 so thought I would contact you.
    I have been doing fitness pal since February this year and though I am not that large, the kgs were starting to hang about and not shift. I find tracking what I eat and exercise hugely motivating to stay within the recommended calories. I do have a weakness for sweet things, especially chocolate so find if I don't start, the craving for more soen't eventuate. I still succumb sometimes though and then feel really guilty and I don't like that.
    Anyway, would love to hear from you sometime. :)
  • sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Just do it - find something that you love and then do it to the best of your ability and capacity. The more you do, the more you will be able to do. Just don't let age be your excuse for not doing any exercise.

I am not quite 50 but have really ramped up my exercise in the last 12 months and don't plan on slowing down at all when the big 5-0 arrives. In fact, I will be celebrating with a huge rock and roll dance with scores of family and friends and I will be first on and last off the dance floor.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Not quite 50, and I am not a professional, but you have to consider two things;
    If you ahve never exercised before then your knees are good and that helps. If that's the case, then take up jogging for at least 2 miles a day 4 or 5 days a week.
    If your knees aren't good then join a gym and use elliptical machines and whatever weight machines you like.

You have to exercise hard enough that you sweat. If you aren't sweating than you can work harder.

Good Luck
  • Queen_Christine
    Queen_Christine Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I'm 53. I started with walking outdoors or on treadmill, slowly at first. (2.5 mph) As I stared to loose weight I was able to increase speed and incline on treadmill. When the warmer weather came I added bike riding. Then I found the elliptical was not as hard as I remembered and I was able to do that for an hour! (which really surprised me!). Last but not least, I now go rollerskating! And I was surprised to find a 75 year old man who roller-skates on a regular basis at the roller rink!

Unless you have a medical condition, don't let your pre-determined notions about your age limit your ability to push beyond your expectations! You're as young as you feel, and as you lose weight you will feel younger.

I had gained and lost weight many times and then, I finally gave up completely - swearing off ever trying to lose weight again, because I knew I couldn't keep it off. Then in the Fall of 2010 my husband began exercising and dieting again and urging me to do the same. I didn't want to - I had no faith. But on January 1, 2011, I broke my annual New Years Resolution (which is to never make New Year's Resolutions because they never work), and I reluctantly began dieting and exercising again. I still had no faith and my heart wasn't in it. But in late February 2011 my hubby found MFP and we started using it. And here I am now, 58 pounds down and rollerskating! My husband has lost 103 pounds and has come off all of his medications! (Blood pressure meds and cholesterol meds). And he is no longer a candidate for diabetes (He was diagnosed as pre-diabetic in 2010).

There are lots of ways to lose weight, but MFP is the best tool I've ever found for losing and keeping it off! Good luck! You can add me as a friend if you like, and I will help you as much as I can, but I don't have a lot of time for daily thread commenting.
  • daves160
    daves160 Posts: 600
    Options
    Cycling is great exercise that is easy on the joints. and very fun. Try some sort of martial arts. It has really helped me get fit and much more flexible. I have tried to get back in to running, but it is painful due to injuries to my leg and foot, but I still try to keep it in my regimen.
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I'm a little under 50 (49 this July), and I just want to echo what others have said. Don't get preconceived notions in your head and let them affect your exercise regimen. That said, don't try to overdo it, either. I don't know your experience, but just start slow...if it's too easy, you can increase! Stretch, stretch, stretch. You can do it. I've lost over 20 lbs. since last September, and I'm in the best shape of my life, EVER! Good luck!:smile:
  • jo_roop
    jo_roop Posts: 3
    Options
    I have arthritis in my knees and hips..so excersize can be tough. I recently bought a Gazelle Edge..not too expensive.....$99.00 at WalMart, (ordered online).....It is nice because you go at your own pace, It is so easy on your joints because you glide, I can watch t.v. because there is really no noise or I listen to my MP3 player. It has a calorie, time and pace counter, so you can keep track of everything you need. I also do reverse ab crunches to tone my stomach...lie on your back and bring your legs up. These seem much easier than regular crunches and I get to lay down rather than standing to do other excersizes.
  • RitaNMI
    RitaNMI Posts: 1
    Options
    I am in the same category! Keep posting motivational tips for me, too.

My formula (that got me here): I get bored too easily with "routine." Add to that, I work in a busy office, at a computer. Add to that, I am not very self-motivated. All this equals = pounds that just don't fall off like they did when I less than 50.

Any tips that come to this forum will be greatly appreciated!
  • mystikfairy61
    mystikfairy61 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I am 51 and just joined in August. I started out at 225 with severe osteoarthritis in my left knee and right hip. I started out just putting on some music I love and dancing around to it. Since then I have progressed to doing Zumba on DVD at home. At first I could only do 10 mins but now I do 65 mins at least 3-4 days a week. My hip still hurts, and needs to be replaced, but I have found that even with the pain afterward that I am more flexible than I was before I started exercising. I don't do all the really high impact moves but adjust them so I am still moving, but I still get in the time. A hot shower afterward and I am good to go.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure age has anything to do with it.

I think that you should just start moving and find a few different things that you enjoy. Things that are hard and strenuous and make you sweat and hurt. Then, slowly increase duration and intensity and just keep going.
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,867 Member
    Options
    I am 61 and was beginning to feel my age. My knees were hurting and all my body ached until I got going in the mornings. Getting out of a chair was difficult. I decided I didn't want to be old and then I found mfp. I started to loose weight and started exercising. I did squats along with aerobic exercises and this seemed to help my knees. Along with loosing 30lbs I am now hiking up the biggest hills we have around here which are around 500 ft above sea water. I can leave my friends standing when it comes to fitness. All this has taken me 5 months.

I started slow, listened to my body and when it wanted to do more I gave it more. If I could lift I would but I have old shoulder injuries so I have to rely on cardio. It has certainly improved my fitness. I can now run upstairs (I used to go up on all fours). I did 30DS last month and just refuse to give up. Whilst I can do it I will.

Come on 50+. You are far from old yet. Don't let age take over. Keep it in check. You can all do it.