Purchased A tredmill but afraid to use it

Options
I'm nervous about stepping on the treadmill. Why? well becuase I don't want to make my leg muscles to become any bigger than what they already are. I want to slim my legs down. I've been doing nothing but pilates lately to slim my body down but I know I have to start doing some cardio. Help please.

Replies

• stella_julia
    Options
    I am no expert but I walk a lot! Last Saturday I walked 19.9 km. I walk anywhere from 5-20 km a day, both indoors and outside. I started this in April and I have lost 2 cm off of each thigh and a little over half a cm on each calf. I think you should give it a try.
  • makeitbetter
    Options
    Your leg muscles wont get bigger from running/walking on the treadmill. You would have to lift weights for that. At most, you may get better defined (not bigger) calf muscles.
  • SmallBodyBigHeart
    Options
    Are you sure because it seems like I built muscle in my legs very fast.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I'll say it again: your legs won't get bigger from walking on a treadmill.

How many big legged runners have you seen?
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    As a person with big legs, I understand your fear, but sabine makes a great point!
    Enjoy your treadmill!
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    seems like a huge waste of money if you are afraid to use it!

I am a runner-my legs are long and lean. Your legs won't get "big" from running or walking.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    Your legs will not get big from using a treadmill. They may look big because you have lots of fat stored in and on the muscles there, but putting muscle on from walking and running simply won't happen.
  • 9jenn9
    9jenn9 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Ditto to the above posters. The only runners that have big thighs are sprinters. That's because they lift too. Distance runners and walkers have long, lean muscles. Running and yoga promote long lean muscles.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Ditto to the above posters. The only runners that have big thighs are sprinters. That's because they lift too. Distance runners and walkers have long, lean muscles. Running and yoga promote long lean muscles.
    Right. I actually consider sprinters weight lifters, rather than runners. They need explosive muscles like shot putters.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I agree with what everyone else has said. I have large legs (calves in particular!) and I run and take spin classes. My legs are not getting bigger. In fact, I had a coworker tell me how thin and lean my legs are looking just last week! Get on that treadmill - otherwise you just wasted a lot of money!!!
  • clover5
    clover5 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Cardio doesn't build muscle - weight lifting does. Get on that tread mill! You'll be glad you did.
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I wish it worked like that. My legs are getting all stringy and hard from running, not bigger. But I can wear skinny jeans now..
    So get the dirty clothes off the treadmill, and get busy!
  • bjfrezell
    bjfrezell Posts: 241
    Options
    I can tell you that I have never gained muscular legs using a treadmill - I've had mine for eight years. It's more like cardio, not strength training. I love doing intervals on mine (it's a preset program) but it's also good just for walking.
  • coolteenager101
    coolteenager101 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Sprinting=Big leg muscle
    Running at long distance= Skinny Leg
    How many big leg distance runners have you seen?
  • SmallBodyBigHeart
    Options
    Thank you all for your imput
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    so how is walking on a treadmill going to make your muscles bigger anymore than walking without a treadmill?

in any case walking or running will not make your muscles big. that's just not how human anatomy works. it takes male bodybuilders about 2 years of heavy repetitive lifting, focused diet of eating over their maintenance and supplements to gain 6 pounds of muscle. you're not going to gain muscle walking in a treadmill.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Pilates and a treadmill are not going to make you bulky.. as another poster pointed out, you need to eat at a surplus do heavy lifting in order for that to happen.

Just use the treadmill, do some heavy lifting and enjoy the results!