stay-at-home careers?

Options
i've been in the food and beverage business for over 10 years now...looking for a change.

i'm interested in becoming a medical transcriptionist and just wondering if anyone has any experience in the area. i've looked into the program on careerstep.com...has anyone used this?

my goal eventually would to be able to work from home (as i'm sure many would). with my current jobs, its difficult to find time to get away and still make sure the bills are paid. its becoming extremely depressing that i have to rely on "the kindness of others" to make ends meet (and although there are many generous people, there are also many more that don't realize i run around like crazy just to make sure they have a good meal). i'm also getting pretty tired of being treated like a servent as opposed to an actual human being...anyone in this line of work can relate i'm sure.

i enjoy solitude, and work best alone. i am very detail oriented and love researching anything i come accross. i have always been a listener...not much of a talker. i pay attention to everything that goes on around me.

just wondering what others have found as far as working from home goes.

thanks everyone in advance!

Replies

• shinybonnie
    Options
    For my job, I work mostly at home, but also have to leave occassionally. (I am a lawyer, and I only have to leave my home office for court hearings.) I have been doing this for 3 years and it works out really well for my family. It is hard for me to get motivated though, on things that don't have a deadline. Because most of my day is spent taking care of the kids - making breakfast and lunch, taking them out, etc. I could go to my office and do work when they take a nap, but I never seem to want to. I tell myself 3 times a day, "I'll get that motion taken care of when they are in bed," but by the time they are in bed, I want to play video games with my husband, or channel surf, or go to bed myself!

Bottom line: I think you need to be pretty self-disciplined to make it work. I can get away with being less disciplined in my line of work because the important stuff happens at court.
  • lyla29
    lyla29 Posts: 3,549 Member
    Options
    I have been looking into working at home and have found a lot of scams out there. I was also interested in the medical transcription, but I don't have the resources to do the online classes right now. :ohwell: I am hoping that by next year I will be able to do the classes and get a job (I know there are a lot of medical transcription jobs out there, but I need the training/certification)
    Good luck.:smile:
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,740 Member
    Options
    just wondering what others have found as far as working from home goes.

thanks everyone in advance!

I have a couple of jobs (besides wife and mother, LOL) that I do from home. I do copy editing, proofreading and graphic design (which is what I did in a corporate setting till I started my own business 15 years ago) and also coaching for Beachbody (which I started doing last year).

Jill
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    You might want to check with some people or are already doing medical transcription. My sister does medical coding and that one of the big misconception is that you can work from home. She said it was one of the things they were selling everyone on when she went to class. She's in the office everyday. She doesn't know any coders who do work from home. Maybe transcription would be different, but I would research carefully to make sure that you'll be able to find a stay at home job once you've finished school.
  • Kristi82
    Kristi82 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have worked part time, from home doing medical transcription. All I took for training was a course in medical terminology. The rest is being a really fast typer. A friend of mine took the same course. She started working for another woman at home, then bought the business from her. Now my friend has the whole thing running out of her house. For me, its all through email with her. She sends me a dictation over email, I type it, email it back. She does all the communication with the doctors and the billing. She has a pretty good thing going as you can pretty much do as much work at you want. Just add more doctors if you want more work. Seems like a great position for someone who works well alone.
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    I have found alot of doctors (in Michigan) sending billing and transcription work overseas. If you know that you are in an area where people value keeping Americans working, I say go for it!!
    I did Avon for several years but it didn't work for me. Seems like there is an Avon rep on every corner...litterally!:noway: I'm trying to work from home now, selling Avon showed me that I love skincare and makeup! So I went to school and became a licensed Esthetician, now I am trying to set up an area in my basement so I can work from home.

Good luck to you!
    Holly
  • shinybonnie
    Options
    Lilla, since you have been in the food and beverage business, maybe you could incorporate that experience into a home business - catering, perhaps? Or party planning?
  • lilla19
    Options
    thanks so much everyone for your input!

my father has a friend in the MT business, but he (dad) can be quite difficult to get ahold of. (my dad has a small cafe he owns in guam, and he is the type of person who doesn't ever stop working! unless someone is throwing a fiesta...haha

i managed the cafe for about 1 1/2 years, and realized that i no longer want to work in the F&B business. (although before that i had looking into catering.)

i appreciate everyone's comments...i've been stressing my brain out trying to think what i can do and what other's think of the MT field.

thanks again MFP crew!