Frozen Spinach...help!?

Options
Island_Style20
Island_Style20 Posts: 98 Member
I bought a box of Green Giant frozen spinach the other day, and have absolutely NO CLUE what to do with it. I've searched endlessly through websites, but still no luck. Also, it says to boil the entire package in water? Do I have to use the ENTIRE package? Or can I use some and freeze the rest for another meal? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Replies

• carolabradac
    Options
    use how ever much you want in very little water. Spinach has alot of water on its own. It cooks down ver much so cook more than you think you will eat. I like to mix spinach with hard boiled eggs and have it for a meal...yum
  • 75Juniper
    75Juniper Posts: 376
    Options
    I cook it in the microwave, drain the water, and add it to spaghetti sauce. You can add it to any pasta dish, really. Or, I love this recipe. It calls for baby spinach but I usually just use frozen. I defrost it first, though.

Spinach-Pesto Meatball Soup
    Start to Finish: 20 mins

Serving size: 1 1/2 cups
    1 16 ounce package frozen cooked Italian-style meatballs
    2 14 1/2 ounces cans diced tomatoes with Italian herbs
    1 15 ounce can cannellini beans
    1/2 cup water
    1/4 cup reduced-fat basil pesto
    2 cups baby spinach
    1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
    Directions
    1. Combine one-half of a 16-ounce package frozen cooked Italian-style meatballs, two 14-1/2-ounce cans diced tomatoes with Italian herbs, one 15-ounce can cannelloni beans, 1/2 cup water and 1/4 cup reduced-fat basil pesto.

2. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer 10 minutes.

3. Stir in 2 cups baby spinach and 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese. Makes 4 servings.
  • Island_Style20
    Options
    Thank you for your help, everyone!
  • bostonmom23
    bostonmom23 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    A great easy side dish low carb

1 package of frozen spinach
    2 cups of cottage cheese
    2 eggs
    parm cheese

I will usually add some garlic and onion as well.

mix and bake for 45 minutes at 350 in 9 inch pie plate
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Those boxes are tiny--cook the entire thing and have the rest the next day--no point in trying to freeze it
  • emmalou2206
    emmalou2206 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me as a friend and I can send you a recipe for a Chicken, Spinach and Tomato curry which is yummy (assuming you are not vegetarian). The recipe is from Slimming World so is healthy
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Nuke it as directed and drain excess water. Add some reduced fat cream cheese or Laughing Cow wedges for creamy yumminess
  • joankpoirier
    joankpoirier Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    if you defrost and drain water out you can use in Omelets!
  • audreygonzy
    audreygonzy Posts: 169
    Options
    other than in salads I don't really enjoy spinach so whenever I have a whole bunch I make a smoothie and put tons of spinach in it. It changes the color but doesn't affect taste at all. Just an idea! If you google it you'll find tons of great recipes!
  • solskinnzombie
    solskinnzombie Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    add it to a soup! i love spinach in my soups!
  • Island_Style20
    Options
    other than in salads I don't really enjoy spinach so whenever I have a whole bunch I make a smoothie and put tons of spinach in it. It changes the color but doesn't affect taste at all. Just an idea! If you google it you'll find tons of great recipes!

Love this idea!
  • Shandril
    Shandril Posts: 36
    Options
    I bought a box of Green Giant frozen spinach the other day, and have absolutely NO CLUE what to do with it. I've searched endlessly through websites, but still no luck. Also, it says to boil the entire package in water? Do I have to use the ENTIRE package? Or can I use some and freeze the rest for another meal? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

I fry the whole bag in a non-stick pan with Safflower Oil, Garlic, Pepper ...
    when cooked through I add a splash of 1 or 2% milk to balance out the flavor. Simmer some more & taste! I use leftovers in my eggs in the morning on on my lunch salad the next day.