Substitute for Shakeology?

Options
Is there anything similar to it that is less expensive? I would like ppl that are not coaches to answer as we all know what you all will say, not trying to sound mean to any of the coaches :)

I do not have $4 a day to spend on it, which in reality it costs way more than that if you include all the items you add to it to make it taste the way you would like.

I don't do starbucks or eat out often, get hair done, or anything like that. I know a lot of ppl r like me and just don't have the money to pull from somewhere.

I will be starting insanity in about 10-12 days.

Replies

• Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Is there anything similar to it that is less expensive? I would like ppl that are not coaches to answer as we all know what you all will say, not trying to sound mean to any of the coaches :)

I do not have $4 a day to spend on it, which in reality it costs way more than that if you include all the items you add to it to make it taste the way you would like.

I don't do starbucks or eat out often, get hair done, or anything like that. I know a lot of ppl r like me and just don't have the money to pull from somewhere.

I will be starting insanity in about 10-12 days.

don't waste ur money.. I ordered Sensa looking for assistance and I still have a 6 month supply. If you want to suppress your appetite do so by filling up on fiber at every meal. Balance ur meals with lean proteins and complex carbs lots of fiber... add fat as needed ( olive oils, almonds, avacado). Take a multi-vitamin. Drink lots of water... when I say lots I mean like a gallon a day..

Do your insanity workouts and log all ur food. Ur gonna do great- but you don't need shakeology or substitutes to do it.
  • Mommy_Time
    Mommy_Time Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    ty. I wasn't wanting it to help feel me up rather i read ppl say they get lots of energy and so forth on it. I am thinking about juicing as i also heard fresh juice gives you more energy.
  • lilladie1213
    Options
    I was wondering what u were talking about lol.. I dont get into all the diet things. I think they are all a gimmick anyway and like you i dont have money like that to do all that. I just started eating good and walking ALOT! I also started Jullian's dvd for beginners and loved it but of course got bored fast. Im looking to find new dvd's to workout 2 if anyone has any suggestions :)
  • lilladie1213
    Options
    Try Naked Juice. You can get it at Walmart. Low in calories and deliscious :) Has tons of vitamins and they seem to have given me energy.. Good luck!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    A good substitute for Shakeology? This will be a novel suggestion I'm sure, but try FOOD.
  • KelliW_runner
    KelliW_runner Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    You can purchase whey protein powder at many grocery or pharmacy store relatively inexpensively. This is a good boost if you have trouble getting enough protein. Example - I mixed a scoop of vanilla whey protein in with my steel cut oats for breakfast. Can also mix into a smoothie or supplement baked goods.
  • flyegrl12
    Options
    I googled this a while back and someone suggested GNC Lean 25 with an Alive Multivitamin. You get the protein & fiber benefits of shakeology and the Alive Multivitamin has 23 fruits and Veggies. GNC Lean 25 is about $42 for 60 servings and Alive vitamins range from about $14.00-$29.99 (x-large bottle). I started doing that and its been working well.
  • lcn1220
    lcn1220 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    You can purchase whey protein powder at many grocery or pharmacy store relatively inexpensively. This is a good boost if you have trouble getting enough protein. Example - I mixed a scoop of vanilla whey protein in with my steel cut oats for breakfast. Can also mix into a smoothie or supplement baked goods.

OP: Did this as well for Insanity and focused on eating whole foods. Took a multivitamin, fish oil and vit C just to round things out. Shakeology is unnecessary and laughable really. Fuel your body properly and you'll get through the Insanity program just fine.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Eat whole nutritious foods, stay hydrated and get fit. The shakes have no magic ingredients that give you energy (even though they try to tell you they do). It's mostly in people thinking that they feel better because they spent all that money and were told that it was going to do something special for them. Who wants to spend $80 and say they feel just the same as they did before!
  • alienelyssa21
    Options
    Lean shake protien powder or premixed, it is a meal replacement and is pretty good. Contains about 18mg of protein.
  • alienelyssa21
    Options
    You can either get it at gnc, or order it from amazon
  • Akarenlincoln
    Options
    Naked Juice has tons of sugar.
  • sunrunnergal
    Options
    Wow...I'm surprised at the rude and sarcastic responses to the OP here. (Not all of the responses are rude and sarcastic, but the ones that were, took me aback!)

I am wrapping up month 2 of Insanity and have been following Elite Nutrition and a general 40/30/30 diet. Recently upped it to 40/40/20 (Carbs, protein, fats.) I, too, am now looking for some "easy" meal replacement shakes of some sort. I need two meals a day to be a bit less cumbersome to prepare, expecially since I'm eating every two hours or so. Gets a bit rough while working to step away and make a meal.

That being said, I googled it, was directed here...and groaned at some of the "here's a novel idea...eat right, maybe?" responses. Glad I read on, though...the other poster who offered up the GNC idea...thank you for a valid response. :-)

And, OP? Keep pushing play - it's totally worth it!
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    scoop of protein
    Ice
    Some type of milk
    cinnamon

mix it up, works for me in the morning when I gotta run and fills you up for a while.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    scoop of protein
    Ice
    Some type of milk
    cinnamon

mix it up, works for me in the morning when I gotta run and fills you up for a while.

I did something similar while doing Insanity, only I also added Greek yogurt to it. Sometimes frozen fruit, sometimes PB2. I only used cinnamon when I made apple pie protein shakes, though. :smile:

ETA: I drank one every day in the afternoon when the attack of fatigue and munchies would knock me off my *kitten*.
  • brioneya
    brioneya Posts: 3
    Options
    If you're looking for more energy during your workouts try something like muscleworks define8, Jack3d or N.O Xplode. Then afterwards have a protein shake. B.S.C HydroxyCut Burn Pro is a good before and after workout supplement too. I think they're pretty similar to the 'Results and Recovery Formula' they advertise.
  • persistantone
    persistantone Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Naked Juice has tons of sugar.

My thoughts exactly. Instead of drinking naked juice, just eat some fruits and veggies or make a green smoothie.

Eat well for sustained energy. Eat lots of different colored veggies. Get in your protein, use whey or hemp protein in your green smoothies, if you like.

But "shakeology", pure marketing. There are MANY healthy people who don't drink it. As the saying goes, don't believe the hype.
  • Toddahlie
    Toddahlie Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I do insanity too, but i don't drink that product, only water in the work out.
  • dupaboo
    dupaboo Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I really like Shakeology, but the price just got to me. A coworker was using Body Fortress whey protein. You can get it at walmart for around $15. I don't use it as meal replacements, just for a snack or post workout drink. They have a few flavors. I mix the chocolate with 2 Tbsp of PB and water - pretty good. I just got the vanilla to try out and I added Coconut milk and strawberries. It's not my favorite, but a nice break from the chocolate.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

OP: Did this as well for Insanity and focused on eating whole foods. Took a multivitamin, fish oil and vit C just to round things out. Shakeology is unnecessary and laughable really. Fuel your body properly and you'll get through the Insanity program just fine.
    ^This. And make sure you're eating enough to fuel your workouts. If you're feeling overly tired, perhaps you haven't been eating enough?