Is 60+ mins of exercise too much?

Options
2»

Replies

• sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Oh, I hope not. I'd have to succumb to only finishing 37 half marathons instead of the 50 I have planned.

We're either going to have to convince Congress to let 13 states secede from the Union, or I'm going to have to exercise more than 60 minutes at a time to prepare. I don't hold my breath for Congress to do anything.

I'm going to continue on with 60+ of training runs and half marathons.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I don't believe more is better. I'd rather have more bang for my buck when working out. Also if your body decide that 2 hours a day is the new normal then you stop, you will gain weight. I have seen it happen.
    I do 45 minutes a day 5 days a week and it work for my life
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I think after 45 minutes to an hour (of cardio- I assume we're talking cardio here since # of minutes isn't really a measure of strength training) you get diminishing returns on your exercise investment. As in, you get tired, get lazy with form, and come bumping up against your lactate wall for less and less extra benefit.

That being said, I don't feel like I've had a good conditioning workout without 60 mins of hard cardio- with warm ups and cool downs making it roughly 80 mins.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    60+ minutes of anything intense would be too much for me. I'd never be able to eat that many calories back. :tongue:

I like working out and generally work out for an hour to an hour and a half 7 days a week. The hardest thing for me is, the better shape I am in, the less calories I burn. Stinks because I have absolutely no problem eating my calories back. Matter of fact, that's half the reason I work out!
  • cld630
    cld630 Posts: 7
    Options
    depends on if your body can handle it. I spend 25-30 doing yoga then another 30-35 doing (Running in Place, Jumping Jacks,Push Up, Crunches) works for me. I guess what I'm trying to say is every one is different
  • stargazer008
    Options
    Focus on quality over quantity. Twenty minutes of High Intensity Interval training is better than an hour of running at let's say 6mph.

If you are exercising for 60 minutes at low intensity then it is fine though if you are exercising at a really high speed then 60 minutes is too much.
  • Ianultrarunner
    Ianultrarunner Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I would have to say there are too many variables and the 60 minute statement is just a generalization.
    There is no "one size fits all".
    If you eat enough, well balanced foods. Give yourself a break if you feel sore or your very tired and don't work the same areas of the body intensely every single day of the week, more power to you :wink:
  • FlyeredUp
    FlyeredUp Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I limit my workouts to 50-70 minutes per day. I do however workout 7 days per week.
  • chasingbabes
    Options
    Exercise has no bearing on fat loss.

All that matters is (1) slash carbohydrate intake and (2) daily calorie deficit.

Adding exercise does not change your calorie defecit. Adding exercise simply means, YOU CAN EAT MORE, IF YOU WANT TO. THat is the one and only benefit of exercise, for fat loss.

If your aim is literally to LOSE FAT, then, just EAT LESS and forget about exercise.

Say you need 2000 calories a day (just for example). If you do 400 calories of exercise, you will need 2400 calories a day.

In the first case: if you eat 1700 calories, you will have a 300 calorie deficit. Makes sense?

In the SECOND case, if you eat 2100 calories .. you will have the identical 300 calorie deficit. There's no difference.

Exercise just makes you want to eat more.

if you happen to want to exercise, that's fine. But THE ONE AND ONLY THING THAT MATTERS is the calorie deficit.

Why do I have a feeling I need an umbrella for the *kitten* storm that's about to blow through here?

^^This^^. Got my full poncho and boots on!!
  • almostatgoalweight
    almostatgoalweight Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    The thing about exercise is that if you want to do a lot of it, sometimes easier exercise is a better idea than harder. By that I mean that if I went for a 4 1/2 hour walk, that's roughly the equivalent of 1 1/2 hours of running. I could manage the walking, but I couldn't manage the running.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Focus on quality over quantity. Twenty minutes of High Intensity Interval training is better than an hour of running at let's say 6mph.

If you are exercising for 60 minutes at low intensity then it is fine though if you are exercising at a really high speed then 60 minutes is too much.

How so? They both have benefits. I would hardly consider the 10k run i am about to do a lower quality workout.

Goals have a lot to do with it as well, like others have pointed out.
  • love2cycle
    love2cycle Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I don't see how a statement like that can be made! I almost always exercise for more than 60 minutes. For some people, it might be too much, but it probably depends on the person.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options

All that matters is (1) slash carbohydrate intake and (2) daily calorie deficit.

Adding exercise does not change your calorie defecit. Adding exercise simply means, YOU CAN EAT MORE, IF YOU WANT TO. THat is the one and only benefit of exercise, for fat loss.

If your aim is literally to LOSE FAT, then, just EAT LESS and forget about exercise.

Say you need 2000 calories a day (just for example). If you do 400 calories of exercise, you will need 2400 calories a day.

In the first case: if you eat 1700 calories, you will have a 300 calorie deficit. Makes sense?

In the SECOND case, if you eat 2100 calories .. you will have the identical 300 calorie deficit. There's no difference.

if you happen to want to exercise, that's fine. But THE ONE AND ONLY THING THAT MATTERS is the calorie deficit.

^^^ I've lost 17% body fat since adding exercise to my calorie deficit. I didn't change my carb intake at all, and I don't eat anymore or less than I did b4 I started working out... ^^^

*** Umbrella up***
  • leverman76
    leverman76 Posts: 2 Member
    Options

So let me understand this: Less/no carbs, no exercise, don't try to improve your conditioning or strength...oh I get it!! You want to end up a skinny ***** that can just barely function!! Wow dieting is easy :-/

Keep exercising people!! The better your conditioning the better your body processes what it eats and the better you'll feel overall! But I'm guessing most of us know this.

As for exercising for more than an hour, just listen to your body. If your goal is to lose weight AND improve your health then any amount that gets your heart rate in your optimal target zone is good. If you can do more and want build your endurance then great :)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    they probably mean for people who arent in the proper condition and immediately jump into 2-3 hours of exercise a day. not only is there a risk of injury but they probably wont stick with it that long before they get burned out