Exercising but not losing

Options
I exercise for over an hour a day and I'm not going over my calories, yet I haven't noticed a loss in my weight. I know muscle weighs more than fat, so how long until I notice that I'm actually losing?

Replies

• Nektariosmom
    Nektariosmom Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Make sure you do your body measurements. This is where I am seeing a change first. I feel more comfortable in my clothes now.
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    how many calories a day are u eating?
    what is your sodium like?
    are u drinking water?
  • MelissaRaeTerry
    MelissaRaeTerry Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    make sure you take your measuremts as well, sometime when the scale doesn't move you are still losing inches! And don't forget to add strength training into the mix!
    and for your cardio instead of doing like a steady pace run do hill sprints and other sprint/jog intervals! Be patient as well, your hard work will pay off!
  • btretiak
    btretiak Posts: 23
    Options
    Honestly, it's going to take some time. I have the same frustration. Experiment with daily calorie levels and try mixing in some cardio 2 or 3 times a week. It takes a WHILE to drop weight without shredding your muscle tissue too...but you'll be leaner and healthier in the long run. I'd expect to see results in 6 to 8 weeks.

Also, make sure to give yourself adequate time to rest! Your body needs to recover. Feed it well and keep exercising...you'll get there.
  • crawr0620
    Options
    I drink about 3 bottles of water a day and my daily calories are 1200. Where can I get one of the measuring tapes? And I'm not exactly sure about my sodium. I rarely ever use salt in my cooking either. I prefer to use seasonings. As far as the exercising goes, I walk on my treadmill and it has the incline option on it. I also use the weights that go on my ankles and my wrists.
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I drink about 3 bottles of water a day and my daily calories are 1200. Where can I get one of the measuring tapes? And I'm not exactly sure about my sodium. I rarely ever use salt in my cooking either. I prefer to use seasonings. As far as the exercising goes, I walk on my treadmill and it has the incline option on it. I also use the weights that go on my ankles and my wrists.

Look in a fabric store or they are often in the craft section of stores like Walmart. They cost $1-$2.
  • janeseal
    janeseal Posts: 7
    Options
    You should be able to pick up a tape measure at the supermarket. Look for the cottons and sewing bits.
  • MuffRuff
    MuffRuff Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Just keep at it. Losing weight can take a while. With me I realized that I may not have been eating a lot, but the stuff that I was eating had loads of calories, sodium, and sugar. Look at what you are eating and what is in your food. Also, I would rely more on how many inches I lose rather than weight. If you are losing inches that is great. What I did was buy a pair of pants that I could barely fit, and I used these pair of pants among other things to track whether or not I was losing inches. Before I could not fit into them, now I can, which tells me that I have lost some inches. You should also measure yourself. Also, muscle does not weigh more than fat. Five pounds of fat is the same as five pounds of muscle just like five pounds of feathers is the same as five pounds of water. Muscle just takes up less room than fat. Good luck on your journey :)!
  • Pickles11
    Pickles11 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different, and 1200 calories works for lots of people, but when I started last year, I started on 1200 calories a day and went months with no loss. It wasn't until I set my goal to 1 lb a week loss instead of two, and started eating more like 1400-1500 (and eating back exercise calories) that I started losing weight and have now reached goal.

Also, I got a heart rate monitor to tell me more accurately how many calories I burn in a workout so I don't eat too much or too little of my exercise calories.

Otherwise, stick with it. Good luck!