Need to GAIN WEIGHT! HELP

Options
i have been eating very high calorie snacks such as Lara bars, Luna bars, and lots of pb!!! What else?!!?! Tell me exactly what to eat

I am 5'6 and 98 pounds!! I want to be 105 pounds
I am a dancer and dance around an hour a day

Replies

• maggie16sweetxoxo
    maggie16sweetxoxo Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Ummm do you like want to gain fat or just weight, lots of protein will help :) good luck
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    avocados, nuts, nut butter, healthy oils
  • londongirl2012
    londongirl2012 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    i had a quick look through your diary and noticed you go for sugar free and skinny options, when trying to gain weight you want to eat as many calls as possible on the food

so if choosing hot choc for example make sure you get the regular/luxury kind and use full fat milk/some cream in it,

try and avoid diet drinks and too many filling low cal foods if you can, add carbs and protein and cook with some oil/fat if you can and slowly you will increase calls and gain weight hopefully,

btw have you seen a dr/dietician/nutritionist? they may be able to help, and you wanna check your hormones/thyroid etc in case theres a medical reason for being so slim.

good luck xx
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Like you are too skinny and need to put on fat? Or you are too weak and want to put on muscle?

If you want to get fat, high sugar foods and sodas are guaranteed to make you fat. :P

However, it's healthier to put on muscle rather than fat, so I'm pretty sure that's what you're talking about. To gain muscle you need to eat high protein foods like meat, eggs, nuts, milk, cottage cheese, protein drinks and protein bars, and to start doing some heavy lifting. High weights, low reps. Rest at least 24 hours between working the same muscle group. For your age and size... maybe 1400 - 1600 calories a day? ish? I dunno I don't have a degree in this stuff, I'm just going by what I've been experiencing. *shrug*

Good luck! <3 - Mary
  • Angelabec
    Angelabec Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Full fat milk is good, plenty of calories, but still good for you and not overly filling if you are struggling to eat.
  • kungfuflyer
    kungfuflyer Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Yeah add more healthy fats to your diet. Fats are very calorie dense and will help add those calories on.
  • nick1109
    nick1109 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Eat in calorie surplus of 500kcals above maintenance. calories should come from Nuts,vegetables, fish, meat, oils, peanut butter, oats, wholemeal bread and fruit. Lift some weights and watch the scales. If the number is going up 1lbs a week then bingo. If not add another 200kcals and repeat. Monitor and adjust as you go
  • kazhowe
    kazhowe Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have had a look through your diary and have noticed that you are not eating the full amount of your day's calorie allowance. The other thing I noticed is that you tend to eat oatmeal twice a day for breakfast and for lunch. I think it would be a good idea if you ate lots more protein and vegetables, and as someone else said - don't choose low calorie options when you buy drinks and food etc. try eating the yolks of your eggs as well as the whites - lots of valuable nutrients in those. Try some cheese with your food too. Your health is as important as gaining weight and it is wise to gain the weight in as healthy a way as you can. My daughter is on MFP because she too needs to gain weight and I know from her experience how difficult it can be but it will be worth it especially if you do it the right way. Wishing you the best of luck ;p)
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    my hubs is trying to bulk, he is eating abpout 5k cals a day.

hubs has gained 8 lbs in about a month...and his BF% is still 10%...thats a reallllly good sign.

he drinks two of these a day..and obviously you dont need quite so much but you can take ideas from it.

modify whatever, but this is what is REALLY working for him. before i mega cal'ed his shakes ,he kept loosing.

2 to 3 scoops protein powder
    1 cup whole milk
    1 cup whole fat ice cream
    1 whole medium banana
    1 tablespoon Coconut Oil (unrefined...cold pressed..i LOVE barleans...its reeeeaaaallllyyy silky)
    2-3 tablespoons peanut butter

1250 cals per shake (w/2 scoops protein)...............SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOD and doenst taste all that heavy! I LOVE them and WISH i could have them as well!

some other tips....cook your veggies all in coconut oil...sooo good!
    dont be afaraid to bread and fry your chicken...(in coconut oil)
    cook your eggs in butter
    anything you eat just add something extra...like nuts, peanut butter, cheese etc....
  • acting101girl
    Options
    Awesome!!! I will try that now!!!!
  • acting101girl
    Options
    Thank you!! I am taking your advice now!! Time to eat hahhah
  • acting101girl
    Options
    Thank you!! Will do!!
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    my hubs is trying to bulk, he is eating abpout 5k cals a day.

hubs has gained 8 lbs in about a month...and his BF% is still 10%...thats a reallllly good sign.

he drinks two of these a day..and obviously you dont need quite so much but you can take ideas from it.

modify whatever, but this is what is REALLY working for him. before i mega cal'ed his shakes ,he kept loosing.

2 to 3 scoops protein powder
    1 cup whole milk
    1 cup whole fat ice cream
    1 whole medium banana
    1 tablespoon Coconut Oil (unrefined...cold pressed..i LOVE barleans...its reeeeaaaallllyyy silky)
    2-3 tablespoons peanut butter

1250 cals per shake (w/2 scoops protein)...............SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOD and doenst taste all that heavy! I LOVE them and WISH i could have them as well!

some other tips....cook your veggies all in coconut oil...sooo good!
    dont be afaraid to bread and fry your chicken...(in coconut oil)
    cook your eggs in butter
    anything you eat just add something extra...like nuts, peanut butter, cheese etc....

let me add...you will need to add water to that shake as well..or ice...the one cup of milk is not enough liquid. :)
  • LilmamaPipes
    Options
    I too am on a quest to gain weight. Check out my food diary. I have basically been eating double of what I used too, plus lifting. So far I have gained 3 lbs.
  • AlyssaDarby13
    AlyssaDarby13 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I used to work with a girl who needed to gain weight. She started drinking a Carnation Breakfast made with whole milk every morrning and that definitely helped. It has vitamins, too. Also, I saw someone say you're eating lots of oatmeal, do you make it with milk or water? If water, switch to whole milk, that will add some calories and good fat without adding too much extra food.

Good luck! :-)