Healthy diet for anxiety sufferer?

Options

Replies

• FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    If it came on with pregnancy, I really encourage you to talk to your healthcare providers. It could represent a chemical or hormonal imbalance that could be corrected through a properly designed diet or medication regimen. Not all conditions require life long treatment. Good luck!
  • Asces
    Asces Posts: 182
    Options
    My doctor said take Effexor. Did not want to discuss other options. She is the only doctor, sucks living in a small town!
  • Bonniebigbutt
    Options
    I am doing the Slim, Calm, Sexy Diet. You can find it in the book with the same title. It also has calming exercises and meditation. I don't have anxiety but I do have lot of stress and it has helped alot.
  • russellma
    russellma Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    My doctor said take Effexor. Did not want to discuss other options. She is the only doctor, sucks living in a small town!

Unfortunately, some doctors are not very sympathetic to hormone imbalances, because it is difficult to diagnose. I also voiced my complaints to my doctor and felt like a hypochondriac!

While you're doing your research, you might want to check out this article:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/59795-natural-treat-female-hormone-imbalance/

Edit: I personally do not take any herbs, but do include sweet potatoes and lots of nuts and peanut butter in my diet! I also try to buy milk and meat that do not have hormones added. The only supplement I take is a probiotic, which helps with digestion and hormone balance. :)
  • cln714
    cln714 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    This is a very interesting topic. I've suffered from anxiety for about 20 years now. I've been on medication most of that time. Every time I try to get off of it, even when I just tapper down a little, the scary thoughts come right back and I end up just going back to the full dosage. Then those thoughts and feeling go away within a few days.

I tend to eat pretty healthy and exercise regularly but it never accured to me that a specific diet my ease my anxiety to where i might be able to go off my medication. Or at least reduce the dosage. That GAPS diet is interesting. I'll definitely look into it.

I wish you all the best.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Maybe some fish oil. I've been taking a tsp a day for several weeks now and it seems to have effected my mood for the better.

Also, this is going to sound negative... as much as there is all this talk about exercise helping with anxiety, I've been exercising for a couple of years now and I don't know that it's helped at all. I think my level of anxiety is about the same as always, though there is a nice calm period after working out.
  • cherrytulips
    Options
    I also suffer from anxiety, and have found that exercise & eating well have really helped.
    at the moment i am doing 30 day shred and have found that exercising a little every day really helps and has improved my sleep no end. Diet wise I try to eat fairly cleanly - lots of lean protein, veg, fruit, nuts and greek yoghurt. I still have the odd treat though.
    feel free to add me , best of luck :smile:

i agree with her! keep it lean, cut out the sugar, and keep on keepin' on! exercise is a huge help :)

ALSO, invest in a multivitamin such as 1-a-day for men/women/teens/whoever you are! also, DEFINITELY take a vitamin b-12 and b-16 supplement. that definitely has helped me.
  • turbophoenix
    Options
    I've reduced my caffeine intake and am monitoring sugar... Otherwise, I haven't made specific changes in diet for my anxiety, just general overall health stuff (more fresh veggies, etc). I think cutting out the processed stuff really helps.

Honestly, the thing that helps the most with my anxiety is exercise. When I am into my routine and getting at least 6 work outs a week, I feel much less anxious than the weeks when I'm not working out. I should also probably say that I am medicated but I've dropped my dosage within the last 2 months and am doing okay :)
  • flutternfly
    flutternfly Posts: 123
    Options
    My naturopath has me on the GAPS diet (www.gapsdiet.com) for other health reasons but an added benefit is it has reduced my anxiety to very rare occurrences.

This sounds interesting. I have a frield who has had stomach issues for years. This might just help him. Thanks!
  • Asces
    Options
    Well today I took a calcium/magnesium supplement with a vitamin D3 supplement, and I took the multi I normally take.

About 2 hours later, could have been sugar issues though as it was 2 hours after eating, my body got that shaky feeling it gets with anxiety or maybe it is just sugar? Not sure. But after a little bit, it went away and I have had so much energy since, plus I am thinking more clearly.

I need to buy some B vitamins and Omegas or fish oil when I get paid in 2 weeks. I will add those to the day. I am not used to taking anything but a multi and a Vitamin D.
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    I'm sorry your doctor wouldn't discuss other options. If you can't find relief, sounds like it would be worthwhile to take a trip out of town to seek a second opinion? If your doctor wouldn't even discuss other options other than Effexor (even in the medication realm, there are other options besides Effexor), then she doesn't sound like she will have the open mind you need.

Ovega-3 is a great supplement, derived from algae, which is where fish get their Omega-3 fats (I am pretty sure.) You can get it for $19.99 on drugstore.com. (I'm not sure if anywhere else has it cheaper but in stores it retails for up to $30.)
  • Asces
    Options
    I am moving back to the city in the summer, so I will have better access to everything I need thankfully!

How many omega vitamins do you take?

I am seeing that people who have anxiety/agoraphobia tend to have low potassium and magnesium. Thanks to MFP I know I never eat enough potassium.

The worst time for my anxiety is about a week before my period up to about day. 2 or 3 of it.
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    When I feel my best I take 2-3 a day, spread throughout the day.

I also have a cup of low sodium V-8 to boost my potassium--26% DV.

I'm glad you'll have a different doctor to talk to about this soon! Have you tried looking up pregnancy induced anxiety?
  • Jennwith2ns
    Jennwith2ns Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this topic! I am just getting back to MFP because I noticed my anxiety and panic attacks have increased since going off my healthy eating and exercising. I added you, hope you don't mind!
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    In addition to the other good advice I've seen here (exercise, plenty of sleep, and proper hydration), regular massage therapy could help. Also there are herbs that can be helpful: St. John's wort, chamomile, valerian root, Passiflora incarnata, and kava. Certain amino acids, like L-theanine and tryptophan can help. Many foods are naturally higher in tryptophan.
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I suffer from fairly bad anxiety. I was just wondering if anyone else does and what diet changes they have made?

I know that anxiety can be treated with diet and exercise, this has been proven in countries where they don't treat with medication yet still have huge success rates at treating anxiety. They treat with monitored diet and exercise.

So I was hoping someone on here might know of a typical diet to follow when treating anxiety?

I know to cut out caffeine, sugar, and refined food. I am having a hard time with this as I am quite addicted to sugar. But I am working on it. I have cut my coffee down to 1/2 a cup every 2 or 3 days but chocolate is my weakness :(

I read that you should add cheese to your diet, but any time I eat large amounts of dairy I notice my anxiety goes up.

Any vitamin regimen that anyone with anxiety follows? I take a daily multivitamin but am wondering if I should be doing something else.

I want medication to be my last option!

I typically avoid caffeine when I can but other than that I haven't made anxiety-specific diet changes yet. I am taking lots of vitamin D though (turns out I have a deficiency- which can cause anxiety issues, that along with iron), and also B6, vitamin C and iron. I've noticed some difference since I've started
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Probably the best thing I've ever done for myself regarding anxiety relief is get a dog.
  • HealthFreak1967
    HealthFreak1967 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    YES i have horrible, crippling anxiety.
    I've made changes in my diet and fitness routines and have noticed a MASSIVE improvement.

You'e right about cutting out all sugar, caffeine, and as much refined, processed foods as possible. To still add sweetness to your food without the horrible white sugar, use Stevia packets, they're like splenda except it's natural and contains no artificial chemicals.

And I also suggest getting exercise at least 3x per week, mostly cardio. Try to work up a sweat so that the cortisol levels (a stress/anxiety produced hormone) in your body lowers- the more often and intensely you exercise, the better your body will become at dealing w/ anxiety - thus helping you to relax and be less anxious :)

And B-complex vitamins play a role in helping you relax and having a better mood and sense of well-being. Bananas and avocados are great sources, and also nutritional yeast flakes (sprinkled on veggies or tofu..etc. to give you flavor AND nutrition :P). Basically just eat a wide variety of fruits, veggies, beans and you'll definitely see a difference, trust me!!!!!

good luck mate

edit: oh and i forgot, for days when you are really really anxious, kava tea (only use it sparingly b/c too much messes up your liver) and chamomile tea work WONDERS!!!!!!!!
  • HealthFreak1967
    HealthFreak1967 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I suffer from fairly bad anxiety. I was just wondering if anyone else does and what diet changes they have made?

I know that anxiety can be treated with diet and exercise, this has been proven in countries where they don't treat with medication yet still have huge success rates at treating anxiety. They treat with monitored diet and exercise.

So I was hoping someone on here might know of a typical diet to follow when treating anxiety?

I know to cut out caffeine, sugar, and refined food. I am having a hard time with this as I am quite addicted to sugar. But I am working on it. I have cut my coffee down to 1/2 a cup every 2 or 3 days but chocolate is my weakness :(

I read that you should add cheese to your diet, but any time I eat large amounts of dairy I notice my anxiety goes up.

Any vitamin regimen that anyone with anxiety follows? I take a daily multivitamin but am wondering if I should be doing something else.

I want medication to be my last option!

I typically avoid caffeine when I can but other than that I haven't made anxiety-specific diet changes yet. I am taking lots of vitamin D though (turns out I have a deficiency- which can cause anxiety issues, that along with iron), and also B6, vitamin C and iron. I've noticed some difference since I've started

Oh my gosh I have vitamin D and iron deficiency as well, I had no clue they were correlated w/ anxiety. Good thing i'm taking supplements now, but I need to get more vitamin D tablets
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Maybe some fish oil. I've been taking a tsp a day for several weeks now and it seems to have effected my mood for the better.

Also, this is going to sound negative... as much as there is all this talk about exercise helping with anxiety, I've been exercising for a couple of years now and I don't know that it's helped at all. I think my level of anxiety is about the same as always, though there is a nice calm period after working out.

There are many different causes behind anxiety issues so I would agree that diet and exercise isn't necessarily a cure-all for everyone with anxiety issues. I think part of mine are physical but I've also had to go through counseling because I have issues from things I've been through in the past

And for those of you on meds- I wouldn't stop them cold turkey without talking to a doctor because that can have bad effects as well. Just a thought! (I'm on a low dose of meds myself)