Help me devise an exercise plan please :)

Options
I started MFP just wanting to lose weight and be skinny again. But just being skinny isn't good enough anymore. I want to be lean, fit, and feel strong and healthy! Pleeeease help me get started :)

My stats:

SW: 198
CW:154
GW: 120 (not set in stone, we'll see where I am when I'm happy)
Chest: 36
Waist: 33
Hips: 40
BMR:1480
TDEE: 1769
Calories eaten a day: 1200 (I've only gone over a few times - if I haven't lost for a week, I'll an extra 200 and will magically lose the next day haha)

I'm in school, so my schedule changes a lot every few months. Starting Monday, I'll be home with my toddler Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. I'll also be home weekends. I intern at a law office Tuesdays and Thursday, but I'll be done by the third of fourth week of May (just need to complete my 450 hours for the semester).

M/W/F, I plan to take my little one for long walks. I figure it'll serve three purposes: get us out of the house (and away from food temptation!), get her to take a nap, and get me some exercise! There are many walking/cycling paths near me, and five malls (for inclement days) so we won't get bored. So, is there some kind of a walking odometer so I know how far I've walked?

Tuesdays and Thursday, I'm not sure what I'll do. I won't have time to exercise in the morning, as I already get up at 5/5:30 to get ready, get my little one to daycare, and get downtown. But that will end in a few weeks anyways.

I have a wii fit (plus), and a kinect (but no fitness games). I have netflix (streaming & DVD) and I've heard there are workout videos on there but haven't looked.

I figure since I only eat 1200/day, I should eat back my exercise calories (which will be nice, because 1200 is rough sometimes).

Please help :)

Replies

• mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I would google for at home strength training.
  • auntkimmie19
    Options
    First off congratulations on loosing the weight you have lost so far and for going to school! This world needs more good lawyers, LOL! Anyway...I would say keep up the walking and on your non-walking day like Tuesdays and Thursdays do weight lifting or stuff like push-ups, crunches, and squats to help tone and build muscle. You mentioned you had a kinect but no workout games. I use the kinect adventures that it came with and sometimes if I play long enough I get to sweating and get a low impact workout in. I am fairly new to this so I am no pro and I have a long way to go before I hit my goal but I hope this advice helps! Best of luck to you!
  • sarah2954
    sarah2954 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input! I'm not opposed to buying equipment or weights...
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Since you have Netflix, that's a logical first step. Look for the 10 minute solutions and Crunch fitness videos, pick something and get started. Pretty much everything will require a set of weights (except cardio), so get some 3s, 5s, 8s, whatever you think you can handle when you get started.

You may also want to bump up your calorie intake. You generally want to NET your BMR. Are you sure your TDEE is that low?
  • shbretired
    shbretired Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    use that wii on Zumba, you can burn up to 1000 calories for one hours work out, and it' fun.
  • shimmer_glo
    shimmer_glo Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    just posting so i can follow this topic. :)
  • nygurl
    nygurl Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi,
    If you have a computer, try going on exercise tv. There are a lot of good videos you can do to just change things up a bit. Also try doing some interval training. On your walks, try doing a little bit of really brisk walking or running for just a few minutes then walk slower again, then walk/run fast, etc. That is supposed to help burn more calories.

Also, try getting some small hand weights and add some strength training to your routine. I always read/hear that muscle burns more calories than fat. If you want to be lean and fit, weight training should get your there quickly. Good luck!!:smile:
  • RosesFitNotes
    RosesFitNotes Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    CONGRATS SO FAR! cardio is great (jump rope , or tae bo if you can't leave the house), but not enough. weights or resistance bands can be done at home. the other suggestions are good. the local library usually workout videos too. that's what i did when my kids were little. i also purchased an "urban rebounder" (or an off brand). because i could do that with kids in the house and they liked it too!:smile:
  • Ashleysh22
    Ashleysh22 Posts: 209
    Options
    yea there is a whole series of CRUNCH videos on netflix that I cam across recently. I haven't actually tried them (I have an abundance of my own workout DVDs) - but I was looking for some kind of video to guide me through a spin class. Netflix doesn't have any of those but it did have the series of CRUNCH videos :)
  • sarah2954
    sarah2954 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great suggestions!!
    Are you sure your TDEE is that low?

I believe it is.... I use the calculator on fitnessfrog
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    If you have a computer, try going on exercise tv.

Here's the link, just in case: http://www.hulu.com/exercisetv

YouTube also has some workout videos.
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    P90X....
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    If your child won't nap, you can try zumba for kids (http://tinyurl.com/82os7lc) and work out together.
  • megg0616
    megg0616 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Your stats are pretty similar to mine. I eat 1600 calories a day and found that I am losing weight much easier than when I was eating 1200 a day. I don't eat back my exercise calories as I feel it defeats the purpose of exercising. I would suggest upping your intake. As for tracking your walks there are some really nice apps on the smartphones that have GPS pedomiters and calories burned all in one. I find them to be petty accurate. Remember all this is trial and error. :wink:
  • Justacoffeenut
    Justacoffeenut Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    www.exercise.com