Please give me a step by step on strength training?

Options
I have around 15lbs to goal weight. Up to now I've been eating around 1200-1400 calories (sometimes more if it's an intensive workout day). I'm happy with my loss so far, hasn't been too quick or drastic.

Now I want to start lifting. My weekly exercise consists of 3 Jillian Michaels dvds that I do twice each, some walking and some zumba, so mostly cardio.

I have no idea how to start strength training. What size weights? What do I do with them? Do I up my cals or just my protein?

I want to start TONING, instead of just losing weight. I've got the classic jelly belly and love handles and would really like to be leaner.

Thanks in advance x

Replies

• kungfuflyer
    kungfuflyer Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Find a good trainer to get you started in the right direction and show you proper form in technique.
  • spazofthedead
    spazofthedead Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Starting Strength, Stronglifts 5x5 and New Rules of Lifting for Women are all beginner programs worth looking into.
  • spinedocmfp
    spinedocmfp Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    muscleandstrength.com has great articles, vids and forum for weight training. There is a complete section for women's training. Jump in and get reading. Just like weight loss, you need effort and education to do it right. Good luck on your journey to a new, stronger body!
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for Women. You can get the book for like $10 on amazon.
  • shimmer_glo
    shimmer_glo Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    One tip -- if a trainer is not an option for you, make sure you still learn the proper form for each exercise so you don't hurt yourself. You'll also get the maximum benefit from each workout. Most books with weight bearing exercises will give you this information, (or maybe videos online, also) and it's worth it to really take your time to learn the precise, correct way to do each exercise. You'll notice a huge difference in how it feels. Also, be aware of the specific muscles you're targeting. If you know where they are, you'll be able to tell if you're doing the exercise correctly by where you feel the "burn" when you exercise. Sometimes I think to myself, "I don't feel this in the correct place," and when I go back to check instructions, I realize I was executing the move improperly. Good luck!
  • LauraSmyth28
    LauraSmyth28 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.

I've ordered new rules of lifting for women. Looking forward to getting started. Trainer is not an option as I never have free time from my kids so any exercise has to be done at home when they're in bed.