strength training question

Options
I have over-exercised a bit a few days back, and my leg muscles are still sore. What is the right thing to do: take a few days break to let the muscles completely recover, or stick with my exercise schedule and do the regular workouts even as they hurt. I don't want to miss exercise days. But I don't know if exercising with sore muscles is the right thing to do when you try to build them. This happens to me from time to time, and I never know what's the right thing to do. Any opinions?

Replies

• aryastark8
    aryastark8 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
  • pupcamper
    pupcamper Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    If I have overdone it with weights or don't feel great (don't feel sick enough to not work out but don't have enough in me to work out properly) I do a light cardio workout because it is better than doing nothing so I don't feel guilty for missing, I'm not risking making it worse and usually a bit of light cardio makes me feel better - gets the blood flowing and the muscles loosened up! Good luck!:drinker:
  • Punktorian
    Punktorian Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you are doing and how long you have been training so posting that might get you a better response. A novice lifter can't really push nearly as much as an experienced lifter. Unless you are trying to do curls every day you are probably fine doing the next workout and will probably feel better after as well. Foam roller is also good.
  • ilikejam33
    ilikejam33 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I always find it helps to continue, as long as what you are feeling is not pain, then you should be ok. For example when i started 30 day shred after the first work out i could barley go down the stairs, so would i recommend lots of leg work? no, but a the bike and eliptcal did help.

Sometimes a stiff muscle can get worse if you try not to use it.

As long as you are careful and listen to your body you will be fine :)

Congrats on the burn :)
  • aryastark8
    aryastark8 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses! I have been doing moderate strength training 2-3 times a week for like 5 months now. But every now and then I overexercise, especially when starting new exercises, and I always wonder what's the right thing to do then. That last time was my first day of 30-day shred :-) Yes, it looks like a light cardio or other types of exercises are a good idea. Thanks!
  • Sarahannlacy
    Sarahannlacy Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    :smile: i would definatly start making sure you drink some sort of after workouy drink. I drink the p90x results and recovery drink but i am sure any recovery drink that have simple and complex carbs to help reduce muscle soreness will work. also i might take a break from doing strength training but still get cardio in