P90X for beginners

Options
Hello,

I want to start p90x and wondered if anyone had any tips for beginners? Do I need to invest the whole shakeology programme and stock up on whey protein?

I'm not a hardcore exerciser but I've done 30 day shred and have worked worth a trainer before so I know I'm expecting it to be hard. Also what results should I expect to see? I'm aiming to lose about 30lbs

Thanks for any advice xxx

Replies

• JLPearce12
    Options
    Bump....I am also considering starting P90X and am curious to see what the others say. Thanks! ;)
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Have you already bought it? I heard Power 90 is an easier/previous version of it.
  • randa_behnam
    randa_behnam Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    No I haven't heard of power 90, is it similar?
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I Do I need to invest the whole shakeology programme and stock up on whey protein?

Thanks for any advice xxx

NO...you do not need shakeology. If you arent getting enough protein with food, whey protein is an effective way to supplement your protein needs
  • asboray
    asboray Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am doing P90x right now. It is very hard. I did not invest in the shakeology. I do try to incorporate protein (whey if you prefer) into smoothies and other things. I guess it depends on how much work you want to do. For me I had already done the cleanse through the "Bring it" book so my diet was in good shape I just needed to add the excercise portion. I am having good success with it so far. About to begin my third week. Hope this helps! You should do it. It is a great program!
  • Sarahannlacy
    Sarahannlacy Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    so i love p90x i would definatly do the lean version first and after 90 days go to the other versions they give you three difrent workout regimans you can folllow if you are wanting mainley cardio i would recomand insanity... I also love love the shakeology since i have been doing it i have not been sick and it has reduced my cholesteral as well has helped me shed pounds. if you have any questions please let me know i am a beachbody coach and would love to help you achieve your goals.:happy:
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    You don't need the ooberexpensive Shakeology. Just add some whey protein and eat clean to meet the calorie requirements and macro ratios. The program works.....I just started phase 2, and I'm down 10+ lbs and 3 inches off my waist. Much stronger than when I started.
  • Marper8521
    Marper8521 Posts: 160
    Options
    BUMP - damn good thread!~!!!
  • JessicaMarie9382
    Options
    Bump! I'm adding p90x to my current workout routine on May 1st. I have bought it. I have 5lbs and 8lbs weights, a resistance band....do I need the pullup bar really?
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    my lesson learned from P90x was not to get overly enthusiastic during plyometrics. it's perfectly OK to not leave the ground at first, especially if you're not super ready for it.

injury from doing so sidelined me for a couple weeks.
  • JessicaMarie9382
    Options
    my lesson learned from P90x was not to get overly enthusiastic during plyometrics. it's perfectly OK to not leave the ground at first, especially if you're not super ready for it.

injury from doing so sidelined me for a couple weeks.

Eek, sounds scary ;)
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Bump! I'm adding p90x to my current workout routine on May 1st. I have bought it. I have 5lbs and 8lbs weights, a resistance band....do I need the pullup bar really?
    i prefer the pullup bar over resistance bands for the back stuff for sure. you can get it from amazon for less than $30 last i checked.
  • JessicaMarie9382
    Options
    i prefer the pullup bar over resistance bands for the back stuff for sure. you can get it from amazon for less than $30 last i checked.

Okay, thanks :)
  • chicpeach
    chicpeach Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    My hubby came home with it the other night and I've been reading the booklet that comes with it. There is a pretest to determine if your fitness level is sufficient to experience the most benefit from the program. If your fitness level isn't there yet, they recommend doing the beachbody program first.

There's also equipment requirements, like free weights or resistance bands, chin up bar, shock absorbing mat, etc.
  • cherryObebe
    cherryObebe Posts: 189
    Options
    I did the 30DS and moved into a Beachbody program, but chose to start with Insanity due to it being a 60 day program. It fit our spring/summer schedule better with travel plans. We are 24 days into the program and are eating a high protein diet: 40/30/30. We use a whey protein shake to supplement protein, but it sin't Shakeology. We are thinking of giving Shakeology a whirl though.

The Beachbody programs are definitely intense and much harder than 30DS. Take breaks when you need to. Instead of trying to keep up with the speed of the video, go at a slower speed and concentrate on your form at first. This will help you to prevent injuries and gain strength to do the exercises properly. Then, as you feel more comfortable, you can pick up the pace! I haven't seen a huge weight loss in 3.5 weeks, but can definitely notice changes in my body. I am excited to see the difference from day 1 to day 60. Definitely take before and after photos, as well as measurements. At least for me, the scale hasn't changed much, but I am replacing fat with muscle. I am more than OK with that!!!

We are loving it so much that we are already planning on doing another round when we are done and trying other Beachbody programs, specifically P90X and Les Mills Pumped.

Best of luck to you on your journey!:flowerforyou:
  • chickentunashake
    chickentunashake Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Ok. I did am doing P90X the 6th or more times, because I love it so much. It is hard, but it will get you in the best shape of your life. I even learned to love plyometrix and am leaping of the floor every single time :-) . And no, I didnt get the whole shakologie from them, I'm using whey protein as supplement and make sure to eat a healthy diet. Get yourself some good dumbbells and you good to go. I wish you a lots of succes. If you need any tips, let me know or feel free to ad me as your friend for support
  • DFWTT
    DFWTT Posts: 374
    Options
    Instead of 25 reps, do the recommended step from 15 to 20 to 25 and take breaks when he gives them to you. Pause and take 2 extra min per break if you want. If it takes you 1.5hrs to do a 45min dvd the first time through, so be it. Just set goals to decrease time and increase reps. WRITE IT ALL DOWN so you see your progress.
  • misalillstead
    misalillstead Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I love p90x :) You can modify what you need to and still get a great workout. I cannot use the pullup bar in my house so, I drop to one knee and go through the motions with free weights. It gets the job done.
  • LeisureRunner
    Options
    I love p90x. You do not need shakeology. Only people that will tell you you do are most likely beachbody coaches. Just use a protein shake and eat a balanced diet.

Good luck hun!
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I just finished week 3 and I am loving P90X! I didn't think the pull up bar that I bought for $20 would work, but when I added a piece of wood over the back of my door jamb, it works now perfectly. I would recommend that instead of the bands, I like the hand weights. I'm starting with 5's, 10's, and 15's but soon I'll want more. I was already working out for a while, so this may be more than some start with. Seriously awesome program and you CAN go at your pace, but just work on form and getting the moves right so you don't hurt yourself. Don't skip the yoga, it's really helpful and NOBODY does it well the first time (or the 20th either!). Just do your best and forget the rest... Tony says that a lot and he's right. You'll burn a super amount of calories and build muscles you didn't know you could!