NEWBORN VEGETARIAN?!

Options

Replies

• Ttopeka
    Ttopeka Posts: 160
    Options
    my fear is that she is YOUNG, and she is being supported (well, will be being supported) by her mother... not her boyfriend or herself. and i dont want her to be so overwhelmed that she half-commits to this.

i just dont know if her priority is the health benefits or the 'mind set' of the child being a vegetarian, and THAT is what scares me....

1) If you're concerned with her half-committing to a healthy diet, have you thought about teaching her some vegetarian recipes that you know and love? Or perhaps as a gift, buy her a quick/easy vegetarian cookbook? I checked on Amazon, and there are several "Vegetarian Baby" and "Vegetarian Child" cookbooks available for a decent price. I would consider checking these out, and if possible, buying one or two for her. I'm sure they also include some nutritional information about how/what to feed the baby...but of course, none of that would replace visiting her doctor/pediatrician.

2) Have you asked her what her priority is? Sit her down, explicitly address your concerns, and maybe just try to talk it out?
  • Perisylpha
    Perisylpha Posts: 139
    Options
    Edited
  • DatEpicChick
    DatEpicChick Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    if an adult can be a healthy vegetarian why can't a child? We are all the same species after all and require the same nutrients as adults that children do, just in different proportions. If both parents are vegetarian I see no reason why they should not raise their child that way as well. I am a longtime vegetarian and the only reason my 5 year old daughter eats meat is because her father doeas and since we already have meat in the house, we decided she would be omnivore until she was old enough to make her own decision. If I had settled down with another vegetarian you can bet your butt our children would be raised as healthy happy little vegetarians as well.

Children need more amino acids then adults to help build their body (and importantly their brain) so there are different requirements in nutrients between adults and children. If they don't get the proper nutrients it can cause health problems or just not grow/form the maximum they could of. She needs to see her baby's doctor about this and not listen to the people on this board.

excuse me, i was asking if people knew anything about this. If they had heard anything about it. obviously she will talk to her doctor, but I WANTED TO KNOW if I HAD A REASON to be concerned. thank you.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    What kind of meat do you think one gives an infant?

And, no, being veg is not any more expensive than eating meat. If you do it right, there is no need for supplements. A small child can be healthy and veg for not a lot of money.
  • Perisylpha
    Options
    if an adult can be a healthy vegetarian why can't a child? We are all the same species after all and require the same nutrients as adults that children do, just in different proportions. If both parents are vegetarian I see no reason why they should not raise their child that way as well. I am a longtime vegetarian and the only reason my 5 year old daughter eats meat is because her father doeas and since we already have meat in the house, we decided she would be omnivore until she was old enough to make her own decision. If I had settled down with another vegetarian you can bet your butt our children would be raised as healthy happy little vegetarians as well.

Well said : ) I've been veggie for about 20 years..my family thought I would grow out of it and still served meat in my meals, it's a lifestyle and health choice, not a fad. : )
  • Perisylpha
    Options
    I've never found vegetarianism to be expensive either, infact I've always found meat to be amongst the most expensive single items in the supermarket.
  • DatEpicChick
    Options
    my fear is that she is YOUNG, and she is being supported (well, will be being supported) by her mother... not her boyfriend or herself. and i dont want her to be so overwhelmed that she half-commits to this.

i just dont know if her priority is the health benefits or the 'mind set' of the child being a vegetarian, and THAT is what scares me....

1) If you're concerned with her half-committing to a healthy diet, have you thought about teaching her some vegetarian recipes that you know and love? Or perhaps as a gift, buy her a quick/easy vegetarian cookbook? I checked on Amazon, and there are several "Vegetarian Baby" and "Vegetarian Child" cookbooks available for a decent price. I would consider checking these out, and if possible, buying one or two for her. I'm sure they also include some nutritional information about how/what to feed the baby...but of course, none of that would replace visiting her doctor/pediatrician.

2) Have you asked her what her priority is? Sit her down, explicitly address your concerns, and maybe just try to talk it out?

2) i did, but she is SO WORRIED about 'losing' her boyfriend, she is basically willing to do anything to keep him.... and i think thats why this vegetarian toddler thing leaves such a 'bad taste' in my mouth. She also will be letting the child know that....

1. santa clause is not real
    2. easter bunny (all of those) are fake
    3. Thanksgiving is 'a croc' and they wont be celebrating it
    4. god is fake
    5. religion is all fake
    WTF

i'm worried that the ONLY reason she is doing this is because of her boyfriend, and i dont thinks its for the healthy benefits it could possibly have. I mean, she never talked this way before dating him, and now EVERYTHING this douc** says is like 'gods word'
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options

i was a vegetarian for 7 years and i have vitamins and supplements and substitute foods and they are NOT cheap!

Then you did it wrong. Or you tried it like you try on a fad.

What exactly did you need to supplement exactly? I'm not against people using supplements at all; however I am against people using them with complete *kitten* all ignorance.

It's much easier in my opinion to be nutrionally balanced as a vegetarian anyways, as in looking for foods that offer complete nutritional packages you will generally provide yourself with food items that are nutrient dense and very satisfying. In generally trying to eat healthier my diet is becoming almost vegetarian just by happenstance. I enjoy meat, but find myself eating less of it.

As for your stance on how your friend raising her child as a vegetarian; I'm not sure if you are angry at that or just seem to have weird fixation issues with her life, boyfriend, outfit choice, method of wiping in general. I'll just chalk it up to ignorance though; as a good chunk of the world raises their kids on vegetarian (as others have mentioned), or borderline vegetarian diets just by circumstance and are doing pretty damn well.

While your "Won't somebody please think of the children?!" attitude is pretty entertaining, you'll do more harm than good as a friend and possible influence if you keep it up. I mean, she's talking about raising her baby loving oats, quinoa, almonds, sweet potato, veggies etc. She's not trying to sustain her baby on black tar heroin and pixie sticks.

If the latter was the case; by all means; maximum rage engage.
  • DatEpicChick
    Options

And, no, being veg is not any more expensive than eating meat. If you do it right, there is no need for supplements. A small child can be healthy and veg for not a lot of money.

i have a 15 month old little girl. And she tries everything, spaghetti, chicken nuggets, baked chicken, all kinds of crock pot recipes. oh and YES she has had the dreaded HOTDOG (scary sounds ensue). being a child is about trying NEW things and parents encouraging them, and if they chose to take some of those things away that is FINE. My issue with the situation I POSTED ABOUT is the fact that i dont think her reason for the diet is for health, and what other people thought about the issue or if they knew anything about young ones and diets.
  • DatEpicChick
    Options

i was a vegetarian for 7 years and i have vitamins and supplements and substitute foods and they are NOT cheap!

What exactly did you need to supplement exactly? I'm not against people using supplements at all; however I am against people using them with complete *kitten* all ignorance.

It's much easier in my opinion to be nutrionally balanced as a vegetarian anyways, as in looking for foods that offer complete nutritional packages you will generally provide yourself with food items that are nutrient dense and very satisfying. In generally trying to eat healthier my diet is becoming almost vegetarian just by happenstance. I enjoy meat, but find myself eating less of it.

As for your stance on how your friend raising her child as a vegetarian; I'm not sure if you are angry at that or just seem to have weird fixation issues with her life, boyfriend, outfit choice, method of wiping in general. I'll just chalk it up to ignorance though; as a good chunk of the world raises their kids on vegetarian (as others have mentioned), or borderline vegetarian diets just by circumstance and are doing pretty damn well.

While your "Won't somebody please think of the children?!" attitude is pretty entertaining, you'll do more harm than good as a friend and possible influence if you keep it up. I mean, she's talking about raising her baby loving oats, quinoa, almonds, sweet potato, veggies etc. She's not trying to sustain her baby on black tar heroin and pixie sticks.

wow arent you the most pleasant d**che bag on this site?
  • ixiHemlock
    ixiHemlock Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I have 3 friends who were raised vegetarian, and they're fine! They've just never had meat. :) It's not that uncommon around here, lots of families are vegetarian.
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options

wow arent you the most pleasant d**che bag on this site?

Pretty much. You could have it worse.
  • SlimBananas
    SlimBananas Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    i dont understand why everyone keeps saying chicken nuggets and hotdogs..lol..op never said anything about that. but to answer your post, shes gonna be a new mom, and if she is being pressured by her boyfriend, then maybe she'll wise up. she should be discussing these matters with the babies pedi, and not doing it,especially if she knows nothing about being a vegetarian, she should just make sure she gets all the facts before she does it. so she can make sure the baby is getting all his/her nutrients.
  • Ttopeka
    Ttopeka Posts: 160
    Options
    Instead of trying to talk her out of her vegetarian diet, I might then suggest trying to talk her out of that boyfriend of hers...he does not sound like a good influence, and seems to be the stem of the problem/your worries. She sounds awfully co-dependent and has an unhealthy view of him/their relationship. I'm guessing she might have confidence or low-self esteem issues? Has she sought counseling for that?
  • DatEpicChick
    Options
    I have 3 friends who were raised vegetarian, and they're fine! They've just never had meat. :) It's not that uncommon around here, lots of families are vegetarian.

this is the kind of thing i was asking for. so thank you. i was trying to see if this was NORMAL thinking, and if it was healthy for young ones to be on these kinds of diets. i'm not an expert on vegetarian diets for kids and i just didnt want her going into something that could possibly hurt the little one.

people got so offended, like they had to stick up for themselves. it was a question and i was looking for opinions.
  • Perisylpha
    Options

OMG your posts are hilairious!! :D LMAO
  • DatEpicChick
    Options
    Instead of trying to talk her out of her vegetarian diet, I might then suggest trying to talk her out of that boyfriend of hers...he does not sound like a good influence, and seems to be the stem of the problem/your worries. She sounds awfully co-dependent and has an unhealthy view of him/their relationship. I'm guessing she might have confidence or low-self esteem issues? Has she sought counseling for that?

i know =[ i just want the best for her... she wants so badly not to be a single mom (which is completely normal) i just wish the dude would step up... i wouldnt hate him nearly as much if he would step up for her and stop being a kid... its time to be dad and be apart of the decisions and put his family first, instead of telling her what she is going to do... and i understand why she goes along with it... but it drives me mad
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options

i have a 15 month old little girl. And she tries everything, spaghetti, chicken nuggets, baked chicken, all kinds of crock pot recipes. oh and YES she has had the dreaded HOTDOG (scary sounds ensue). being a child is about trying NEW things and parents encouraging them, and if they chose to take some of those things away that is FINE. My issue with the situation I POSTED ABOUT is the fact that i dont think her reason for the diet is for help, and what other people thought about the issue or if they knew anything about young ones and diets.
    Well whatever her reason is its her reason. It doesnt have to be yours. I understand being concerned about your friend and her baby but its not like she isn't giving the child healthcare because her bf doesnt believe in it. There is a huge population on this planet that has survived being vegan or vegetarian. One of my best friends is Indian. She has never tasted meat nor have her kids. You are discussing two totally different issues. I think the fact that your friend lives at home and only works part time at a fast food establishment should be your real concern. Just diapers (even cloth) and wipes alone are going to wipe out the money she makes. If she can't nurse she will have to go to WIC for formula. Why don't you help her with the immediate concerns and worry about this when the baby starts solid foods.
  • Perisylpha
    Options
    How awful to strip away all the magic from childhood.
  • Tourney3p0
    Tourney3p0 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I love the fact that multiple vegetarians have equated meat with hot dogs and McDonalds McNuggets, as though that's the only option to feed a 3 day old meat-eating infant.

Anyone who isn't incredibly biased want to weigh in? You're definitely not going to get any good advice from someone who can't look at the issue with even a basic element of objectivity.