Exercises to minimize the Pear Shape

Options
So I have been pear shaped since I got hips way back in my puberty days (like a hundred years ago), but now that I am overweight it's more exaggerated than ever (32" waist, 43" hips). Any suggestions on how to pare down the pear shape?

Replies

• Wisemomoffour
    Wisemomoffour Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Replying so you get bumped back to the top... :) Wish I knew the answer but there are a lot smarter people on here! :)
  • momo3boyz
    momo3boyz Posts: 29
    Options
    I appreciate you helping me trying to get help! :)
  • spazofthedead
    spazofthedead Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Do some strength training to broaden your shoulders and even out your look. Try bench press, shoulder press and chin ups/rows.
  • kmurphy0506
    kmurphy0506 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    When I got serious about my lifestyle, the first place I saw results was my hips and the seat of my pants. I credit interval and circuit training. I saw the biggest drop in size when I started increasing mileage when running. I'm not sure if this helps, but good luck to you! Hips are the worst aren't they??
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    You cant spot reduce. Burn fat and keep on burning fat. Usually the last to go on is the last to take off.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    All over heavy weight training, A little bit of cardio and a calorie deficit will help.
  • momo3boyz
    momo3boyz Posts: 29
    Options
    MFP has me at 1400 calories a day. How many calories do you think I should drop off? I am willing do try anything! :)
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    MFP has me at 1400 calories a day. How many calories do you think I should drop off? I am willing do try anything! :)

Figure out your BMR and TDEE. Drop 20% off your TDEE so you have a deficit and you will lose weight. DON'T starve yourself.

If you want to change your body shape go out and buy New Rules of Lifting. Follow their food recommendations. You will change your body shape as well.
  • EthanJeremiahsMama
    EthanJeremiahsMama Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I am pear shaped, and I definitely noticed a difference in my body as far as overall body fat loss / inches lost by doing HIIT on the treadmill and weight lifting!
  • mdcjmom
    mdcjmom Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    My trainer told me that jillian michaels 30 day shred is a great way to lose inches. She also reccommended the elliptical and the stairclimber....Hope this helps
  • NaomiWhite77
    NaomiWhite77 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Brazilian Butt Lift for pear shapes... :)
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I'm pear shaped too. And my pant sizes have gone down 3 sizes (30 lbs) since I started with MFP last spring. What works for me is an hour on the treadmill daily, or as often as I can, using the various programs so that I don't get comfortable with one; aquafitness and 90 minutes of swimming twice per week; and tai chi twice per week. My bra is starting to get a little loose as well, but so far the loss has been at the waist, hip and thighs. Where you put it on first is where it comes off first.
  • kristenlees122
    Options
    i have come to accept the pear shaped-ness of my body. oh well.

but i have definitely noticed a huge improvement in the lower area after consistent running, spinning, squats, lunges and deadlifts. it took awhile, i'm still teeny tiny up top, but i'm much happier with the lower body. you cant spot reduce, but doing lots of cardio definitely helped me :)