30 Day Shred...not as bad as i expected

Options
Just finished day one level one of 30 day shred and it wasn't as tough as i thought it was going to be. I have only very recently started to work out - my activity levels were pretty much zero so i was expecting to find this harder. Maybe I need to increase the weight of the dumbells they are quite light. I'm afraid i'll cause injury if I jump straight to level 2 - has anyone had similar experience?

Replies

• Angelgirl040688
    Angelgirl040688 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    my first day was yesterday and OMG my legs are killing me.. but im gonna still do it later tonight...
  • audreygonzy
    audreygonzy Posts: 169
    Options
    Started yesterday and I definitely expected more (although I was sweating like a pig). The soreness kicked in almost immediately so day 2 (today) was a bit more challenging. The results are so intriguing to me so I'm going to keep doing it by the books.
  • nomorepizza
    nomorepizza Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I can't find the info on how long is recommended to spend on each level - how many days do you plan to stay at level one? Maybe I will feel the pain tomorrow and will be regretting posting this topic!!! ;)
  • Jade17694
    Jade17694 Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I love the shred. Finished it last month. Doing bodyrock now. Seriously debating doing the shred again though - i miss it!
  • Yolanda_85
    Yolanda_85 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    The workout is set up to be 10 days per level, but it's not a set rule. Move on when you are ready. Level 2 is very different from Level 1, personally, I wouldn't rush into it. Try upping your weights if you don't feel challenged enough.
  • Jade17694
    Jade17694 Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I can't find the info on how long is recommended to spend on each level - how many days do you plan to stay at level one? Maybe I will feel the pain tomorrow and will be regretting posting this topic!!! ;)

Just move on to the next level when you're ready. I didn't do 10 days of each - ended up doing more of level 3 than 1 i think :)
  • danielle1983cov
    Options
    I'd up your weights. I thought it wasn't that bad until I bought some decent dumbells. Ouch...
  • nomorepizza
    Options
    I think maybe i am comparing it to her other dvd "banish fat, boost metabolism"....that REALLY killed me!! Have only done it twice and bought 30DS to mix it up a bit

I cant see from my weights how heavy they are (they are quite old) they are small and quite light though. Can anyone recommend a decent weight for a petite starter?
  • nomorepizza
    Options
    Wow 41lbs lost?? Thats amazing, well done :)
  • Dlopez678
    Dlopez678 Posts: 97
    Options
    I love/hate 30 day shred. For me there are a few parts that were tough starting out.. Like jumping jacks and jump rope. I was 280 when I started it....much easier the more you do it. I did it for 3 weeks straight (had a busy weekend and got off track) I just started back up last week. When I measured Friday I'm down 8 inches.
  • nomorepizza
    Options
    Thats amazing, I think I need to measure up rather than rely on the scales alone.
    I do like the idea of it only being 20 mins though as it is much harder to come up with a reason/excuse as to why I dont have time to do it! :)
  • LauraSmyth28
    LauraSmyth28 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I think maybe i am comparing it to her other dvd "banish fat, boost metabolism"....that REALLY killed me!! Have only done it twice and bought 30DS to mix it up a bit

I cant see from my weights how heavy they are (they are quite old) they are small and quite light though. Can anyone recommend a decent weight for a petite starter?

Aha! That's the problem. I think (and I could be wrong) that the 30DS is meant to be the beginner dvd, and then BFBM and NMTZ come afterwards. That's how I did it anyway.

I've been doing BFBM for over a month now and it STILL kills me!

I didn't find level 1 of 30DS too bad either, but stick with it for at least a few more days, level 2 & 3 are a whole different ball game.
  • alp1990
    alp1990 Posts: 56
    Options
    Stick with level 1 and enjoy it for the next 9 days. It isn't the exercise itself that is hard for level 1, its trying to do it when your legs have seized up from the previous days haha :( Also level 2 is quite a step up from the first one so you may want to carry on as a way of easing yourself into regular exercise.
  • steph124ny
    steph124ny Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 6 of Level 1. I can get thru it much easier now, but I still struggle with the jumping jack/jumprope thing. I get horrible calf cramps and usually have to switch to butt kicks. I use 3 poud weights which seem very light on the dumb bell rows...but very heavy on the side lunge and lifts! HAHA!! I'm doing it by the book but look forward to moving to level 2. If I feel like I can't get through, I'll just stick with each level longer and make it a 45 day shred....just doesn't have as nice a ring to it...LOL!!
  • Laurieann137
    Laurieann137 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I tried level 3 today....NO THANK YOU! lol! I'm not ready for that. I will need to go back to level two for a few more days! :-) I did up my weights and that has made it a lot harder too! Good Luck! It's a great program!!
  • nomorepizza
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice guys, I will stick with level one for a few more days and try get some heavier weights. I guess i was looking for a quick fix for an event I have coming up soon but I will try to pace myself :)
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I did 30DS, as a person who doesn't exercise much, but I'm almost twice your age. This was challenging for me. After Day 1 I didn't feel too bad but after Day 2 I could barely walk and I took a rest day. Then I was able to proceed. I did 10 days at Level 1 with I think 2 rest days thrown in, so on day 12 I went to level 2. Level 2 was very difficult for me. I did that for less days before moving on to Level 3. After I did that I got 6 Week 6 Pack and Banish Fat Boost Metabolism (I do circuits 1,3,5,7 for cardio). I think it was really good that I had done 30DS first, that prepared me for the others. I rotated them, but I fell off and was not exercising consistently again. The other day I popped in 30DS Level 3 again to see if it felt easy after doing these other two. It was still a really good workout, and I think I will be incorporating that back into my rotation as well.

I agree that you should try increasing your weights. Most people start at 2 or 3 pounds and then move up to 5. Get on the scale holding one to see what it weighs.
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Overall I found level 1 harder for me than Level 2. Having said that, I used 10lb weights for most of the exercises in Level 1 (though not for those side lunges!) but in Level 2, I have to use the 5lb dumbbells for most exercises and I WANT 2-3lb ones for that V-raise exercise. I haven't tried Level 3 yet.

Different people find different Levels to be their most challenging. Don't be afraid, however, to follow the advanced moves when you can and play with heavier sets of dumbbells when you can. There are ways to challenge yourself.

In Level 1, after 3 days, I was purposely falling to sit on the toilet because my legs were so sore. In Level 2, I'm not having any adjustment issues like that. Who knows what level will be the one to challenge you most. I would keep at each level though because it will give you a variety of exercises to build your muscles.
  • steph124ny
    steph124ny Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    LMAO at the toilet thing!!! I can totally relate! The first few days I thought I might die! And going down stairs was so much harder than going up the stairs!
  • phoenix8633
    phoenix8633 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I've just ordered the DVD hope I'm going to be ok lol