How many pounds did it take...

Options
I am just curious as to how many pounds you guys had to lose until someone close to you (husband/wife/best friend...) noticed you look different? So far I've lost about 7.5lbs and I can slightly feel the difference in my stomach, can't really see a difference, but I can tell that I feel different, especially in the mornings. I am 5'1 and currently weigh right about 177. My goal right now is to get down to 130, then see how I feel after that. But I am wondering how many pounds it'll take until people will notice and say things like "you look great" or "your hard work is paying off".

Replies

• MonsterBookOfTysons
    Options
    Hi, I started my weight loss at 169lbs, husband noticed when I did as we looked at my progress pics together but my father in law noticed the other day now I am 19lbs down :)
    Nobody else has said they notice.
  • MommyRobot
    MommyRobot Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    My hubs and mom started to notice around 25lbs...But I was much heavier then you when I started, so it takes longer to notice. I imagine your close friends will start noticing with a few more lbs! :)
  • people started NOTICEDING WHEN IOST MY FIRST 22 POUNDS WITCH THAT WAS LOST MONTH I WAS IN NOVEMBER2011 186POUNDS TO MARCH30,2012 163POUNDS THATS WHEN EVERYONE STARTED TELLING ME THAT I LOOK GREAT ....
    IM 162.2 POUNDS RIGHT NOW AND LOOKING FORWORD TO MY GOAL 130 POUNDS
  • Suziq1023
    Suziq1023 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and have lost 27.4 pounds with a goal of 130. I'm still in size 18 jeans and don't really see much difference with my clothes on. I'm starting to feel a little different -- less bulge In the back fat, a little lighter on my feet -- and wonder the same thing. My husband cheers me on daily so I can't count him! I think once we get smaller in general each pound will be more noticeable.

Keep up the good work!
  • pineapple1989
    pineapple1989 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    People who knew I was on a diet seemed to notice after about 15lbs, I was actually at around 35lbs before somebody who didnt know I was dieting noticed I had lost weight (I kept my diet discreet for this exact reason)

Bear in mind though that I am 5' 10" and I am very heavy so pounds dont make as much difference to my frame as a lot of other ladies. Though I did find the difference between people noticing who knew and who didnt know very interesting... wonder if it really was obvious at 15lbs or did people say that because they thought thats what I wanted to hear... :ohwell:
  • IndyMode
    IndyMode Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 7 pounds altogether and my best friend, husband and mom noticed, but that's about it so far..I've noticed too in my stomach mostly.
  • Jazzyjules71
    Jazzyjules71 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I think it depends also on what you wear. If you still wear the clothes you wear when you were heavy, they will be loose and people might notice sooner. If you continually "downsize" your clothes to where they fit well I think it's harder to tell. Because you may not ever have the "too big" look. Does that make sense?

I have lost about 12 pounds (starting 230 at 5"10') and no one has really noticed but me.
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    My coworkers started mentioning it at about 30 lbs lost. I think they were quiet to see how and if I'd keep the weight off. Now they just comment that I'm the incredible shrinking woman. I'm down 50 or so now and have another 60 to go EASILY. It will be fun to see their expressions then. I have people telling me to stop losing weight already and I'm still very heavy. 185+ 5'3".
  • AsaraFuriosa
    AsaraFuriosa Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on how your body is losing the weight, is it coming off in noticeable places? The people you want to notice, do you see them everyday?

For me I didn't notice until around 15lbs, same as my husband. My in- laws noticed about 20lbs, we see them weekly. Coworkers noticed about 35-40ish lbs. ( Here comes my shamless shelf promotion:blushing: ) Now just about everyone notices because I've lost 73.3lbs:bigsmile:
  • sma83
    sma83 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I dont know, no one has said anything to me other than my Mom and she doesnt count cus she is my Mom, lol. I have lost 37 pounds and not one friend has said anything to me about it. Its kind of discouraging, but Im doing this for me and just have to keep that in mind.
  • BandForAlyAnne
    BandForAlyAnne Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    about 35-40 lbs
  • AsaraFuriosa
    AsaraFuriosa Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I dont know, no one has said anything to me other than my Mom and she doesnt count cus she is my Mom, lol. I have lost 37 pounds and not one friend has said anything to me about it. Its kind of discouraging, but Im doing this for me and just have to keep that in mind.

Maybe they are just jealous! :tongue: :wink: :flowerforyou:
  • viser_haut
    viser_haut Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    36lbs until anyone noticed at all, and it was just some random girl in my English class, not even someone close :tongue:
  • joeynigro1
    Options
    10 days in, about 8.5 lbs gone, two people at work noticed. BEST FEELING EVER! I can't wait til I lose more and its noticeable to me in how my clothes fit!
  • exdisneychick
    Options
    we are right now about the same height and weight, like less than a pound different. I am down 20 lbs. my SO hasnt seen me since any of the weightloss. he has been out of state for 3 months due to a family death and taking care of the family ranch. hopefully when he gets home in possibly a few weekss, he will notice the difference. others that see me every day have yet to comment.
  • KarmaxKitty
    KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    My fiance noticed right away, but other people started noticing 25-30 pounds into it. Two jeans sizes smh... orz
  • ProjectTae
    ProjectTae Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    About 15 for other people but once I lost 30 my close relatives notice a lot!
    Now going for another 15-30
  • Ralphrabbit
    Ralphrabbit Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I have lost about 86lbs in the last 16 months. My mother who can not bring herself to say anything nice about me managed to not say a thing until prompted by the staff in the home who are amazed at the difference. "Have you lost some weight then?" "Just the 6 stone Mum!" No well done - nothing!! Just as well I am not relying on her for my self-esteem!!
  • da_sammit
    da_sammit Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    im 7kg down (15lbs) and no one has really noticed. i suffer from digestive issues that always leave me looking pregnant by about 1pm so thats probably why. i can see where ive lost the weight, its all come off my neck, collarbone area and my calves.
  • LemonBurns
    LemonBurns Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    It seemed to take about 20lbs (give or take a few) before people started to REALLY notice... I got a few comments here and there.... but when 20 hit - EVERYone was talking about it!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!