Studying can lead to over eating

Options
I am feeling down. I have gone over my calorie intake for the day, even considering a 5k walk this morning. I have been hitting the books hard for my finals, and now I am just not sure how to handle this. At first I felt like screw it, this day is ruined, but now I am putting on my walking gear and heading out for another 5 km walk to get back on track.

Replies

• sma83
    sma83 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I totally understand! Ive been going thru the same thing! I really really want to snack when Im studying. And of course it's not carrots that I want! lol I really want chips, cookies, pizza...lol. I hate it! I will be soooo happy when school is over for the semester. We just have to stay as strong as we can. :flowerforyou:
  • nomorepizza
    nomorepizza Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I had the exact same problem and studying for exams lately too - keep reaching for coffee, chocolate, cans of coke anything really as an excuse to step away from the books for a few minutes :) Dont be too hard on yourself - one thing I tell myself though to try stop the overeating is how much easier it is to concentrate when I don't have a load of junk food in my system. I've also switched from walks to doing exercise DVDs at home as I feel like you burn SO much more calories in a shorter amount of time. Maybe try mix it up a bit by alternating walking with something that results in more fat burning too? I've been doing that for the last two weeks and have to say I have so much more energy and haven't been exceeding my calorie intake (even with the odd required treat!) :)
  • viser_haut
    viser_haut Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I hear ya :( I go to a really tough uni, and letting studying become more of a priority than my health let me gain back 15lbs of weight I had already lost :(

it's equally tough at home, because there's less of a budget at home than when I'm living away by myself and all the nice food that I haven't had in so long is very tempting :tongue: I've managed to lose that weight again, and I think it's actually helping my studying more to eat right, sleep right and exercise! Especially running at night when I've just left the library and am still stressed about how much work I have left to do! :)

Congrats on the walks to get back to where you need to, I agree you could switch to something that burns calories faster, so it takes up less time and doesn't intrude on your studying. But if it's your walks that help clear your head, then keep doing what you're doing! :D
  • ctraill
    ctraill Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm gained 60 pounds since going to graduate school. :(
  • stella_julia
    Options
    Thanks. I went out for a walk and that cleared my head and I will break even today. I go to the gym 3-5 times a week so I am getting in more than just a walk each day, but walking is my go to exercise when I need to clear my head. Thanks again for the support, coming back in and seeing others going through this is helpful.

Now back to the books
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I'm gained 60 pounds since going to graduate school. :(

That's why I'm here! >.<