I burn twice MORE cals when I do HIIT...?!?

Options
so on the treadmill.. I do the interval program.. I noticed I burn like twice as much more calories then just staying at a certain speed of jogging or speed walking...... I have a polar ft4 I just received last week and apparently I burned twice as much more... is this accurate?? Want to know if anyone who does HIIT on the treadmill or cardio period has experienced this?

Replies

• callmejessica
    callmejessica Posts: 1,868 Member
    Options
    Yes, HIIT burns more calories because it puts more stress on your body. It works both your aerobic and anaerobic systems. The rapid changes between short, intense intervals, then longer and less intense intervals jolts your body to work harder and increases the length of time your body takes to recover from each exercise session, thus burning more calories.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I burn about 15-20% more doing HIIT. Definitely nowhere near double. I suppose it depends how hard you work out normally. I push myself.
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I burn about 15-20% more doing HIIT. Definitely nowhere near double. I suppose it depends how hard you work out normally. I push myself.

Same. I WISH I burned twice as much.
  • swt0pie
    swt0pie Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I do 30 minutes of interval training on the treadmill at 6mph and 10mph, alternating every 3 minutes
  • mariobadr
    mariobadr Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    The calories you burn during cardio exercises is a function of your heart rate (among other things, like your weight). If you're burning *twice* as much doing HIIT, then that means you can go much faster when you're doing steady state running. HIIT should not be kicking that much *kitten* :P.

Another benefit to HIIT is the calories burned post exercise. After steady state running, you burn an additional 7% of the calories you did while running. After HIIT, you burn an additional 14%. This is called EPOC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excess_post-exercise_oxygen_consumption), look it up :)
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere once that cycling, if it involves a lot of hilly terrain, is a form of interval training.
    I know it has a much greater impact on my hunger and my weight, than just doing stationary bike.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I do 30 minutes of interval training on the treadmill at 6mph and 10mph, alternating every 3 minutes
    10MPH? Seriously?
  • BananaBee3
    BananaBee3 Posts: 224
    Options

Sounds like a great workout!
  • Kaylyn221
    Kaylyn221 Posts: 123
    Options
    Yep. HIIT is awesome. Im doing Turbo Fire right now and it has a lot of HIIT workouts within the workout DVD's and I have also noticed I burn more calories {and sweat my butt off even more} when im doing the HIIT portions.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    There are some good HiiT apps for iPhone. Helps you keep track of where you are. Alarms ring etc.
  • swt0pie
    swt0pie Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    10MPH? Seriously?

yes seriously but I don't do it everyday :)
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I burn about twice as much
    but when I do no steady cardio it's moderate effort, while HIIT is extremly high effort.