13»

Replies

• chellefatfree
    chellefatfree Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • christina_michelle
    Options
    only advice i can give you there is to step up, flex your will power, and say no thank you.
    if it's likely something you'll regret or avoid putting in your diary, don't do it. it's honestly that simple.
    :)
    ^^^^ This. Do you really want that cupcake to have control over you? Seriously, it's just food, you have the control. It's not what you can't have, it's what you choose not to have because it's not good for you. A treat now and then is okay.

Nice perspective! A cupcake is only food! It's not like it's a god or anything...touche!!
  • christina_michelle
    Options
    I just discovered the best snack: Zone perfect!!! Fudge graham, and strawberry yogurt... omg!!!

I will have to try that!!
  • christina_michelle
    Options
    Blender-Free Strawberry Banana Sorbet
     1 medium banana
     4 medium strawberries

While still in peel, lightly roll banana on counter top to soften it up. Cut one end of banana off and carefully squeeze contents into a plastic sandwich bag. Cut up 4 strawberries, removing leaves, and place in bag. Close bag and squish contents until contents are mixed to your liking. Cut corner off of bag and squeeze into a freezer-safe container (I like to use a rinsed out small Chobani yogurt cup). Cover with saran wrap and a rubber band. Put in freezer and wait for contents to firm.

Calories: 120, Carbs: 31, Fat: 0, Protein: 1, Sodium: 1, Sugar: 16

Cake Batter Ice Cream
     1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
     very scant 1/16 tsp salt
     sweetener (1 stevia packet or 1 tbsp sugar)
     1/2 tbsp sprinkles
     1 cup almon milk (unsweetened silk or milk)

Mix the ingredients together in 1 or 2 shallow plastic containers. Freeze. (You can also use an ice cube tray.) Once frozen, pop the blocks out of the container (I thaw for 30 seconds in the microwave first) and blend in your Vita-Mix. (If you don’t have a vita-mix, you’ll probably have to thaw longer, but you can still get a yummy ice milk.)

Calories: 123, Carbs: 14, Fat: 4, Protein: 9, Sodium: 400, Sugar: 13

Chocolate Covered Kiwi Popsicle
     1 Kiwi
     1/2 cup Dark Chocolate

Cut the kiwi into slices. Melt the dark chocolate. Put a stick in the kiwi, and then dip it in the chocolate. Put in the freezer until frozen. Take out, and enjoy!

50 calories brownies
     half box of fiber one
     3 cups of splenda
     one serving of 20 calories syrup
     30 grams cocoa
     1 1/2 cups almond breeze or milk
     add vanilla flavor if desired

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Blend/grind all dry ingredients together. Add remaining ingredients. Then place in brownie pan. Bake for forty-five minutes. Cut in 18 pieces.

World's Healthiest Cookies
     2 tbsp coconut flour
     2 tbsp mashed banana or applesauce
     pinch salt
     stevia or other sweetener
     1/8 tsp baking powder
     3 tbsp almond milk or milk of choice
     chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350F. In a small bowl, mix coconut flour, baking powder, and salt. Add in mashed banana or applesauce and stir. Add in milk, one tbsp at a time until fully incorporated. Stir in chocolate chips. Drop dough by tsp, depending how big you wanted them on parchment lined baking sheet.
    Flatted the dough in to cookie shapes. Bake in the over at 350 for 10 minutes. Let cool before scarfing them down.

(it's like 6 calories per cookie if you make them bite size, 15 if you make them normal size).

Sorry for the long post, but I hope these help!

Thank you!!!!
  • christina_michelle
    Options
    My office is always celebrating something or having leftover sweets from meetings and I sit right near where the food gets left out for people to take. So long as I don't peek around my desk to see what's there, I'm good, but the second I see it, or the second someone offers and I know exactly what's there, my willpower goes. So I know just what you mean!

I always have my own snacks so it's not like I don't have something healthier to distract myself with, but when someone offers me a delectable piece of cake, I have a hard time saying no. I have three ways of dealing with this issue:

1) I allow myself to have a small amount and enjoy it like it's the last piece of cake I'll ever have, and then I promise myself to work it off the best I can and make sure to follow through with that promise. I also cut out my plans for other snacks for later in day to help detract from calories/sugars/etc. or I decide to snack on more veggies later on to feel good about making up for a bad choice with a healthier one.

2) I remind myself that these sweet offers come around often, and if I say no today, there will always be another chance to get a tasty treat another day.

3) I say, "I'll wait and see if there's any left later" and distract myself with work for a good while before I check back to see if there's any sweets left. The good stuff goes pretty quick in my office so usually if I say, "I'll wait and see", about 90% of the time, it'll be gone when I look back, and then I can just get over it and eat my healthier snacks instead.

I was talking to my friend about this! For some reason I feel like if I don't eat it, I wont ever be presented with the food again! But I am...just the day after lol!
  • aprilgicker
    aprilgicker Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I have not seen I single. --"So is anyone going to be eating this? Come get what you want I am going to run the rest to my car."
    On your way to the "car" drop it in the trash. It is GONE. Walla!

If someone brings it in they should keep it at there desk. That is what the little suggestion box is for. You are not the only one in the office that doesn't like the goodies around them, get them all a slip and fill them out at lunch. take them and put them in the box on the way back in.
  • mirthegeologist
    mirthegeologist Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    My strategy to avoid high-calorie sweets is to determine if it is a special occasion or not. If it is my birthday, anniversary, a holiday, etc., then it's a special occasion and I will have the cupcake. Otherwise, I avoid it, and I make a food note that I did not eat a cupcakes to celebrate my win over temptation.

For me, this eliminates all office treats. In general, I like to save my indulgences when I'm with my family. I do partake in small servings of dark chocolate or frozen yogurt when it fits within my calories (which is pretty much every day).

Good luck!
  • aprilgicker
    aprilgicker Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    My girlfriend makes frozen pops for her kids. waters down fruit juice and blends fresh fruit in with them then makes frozen pops for them. I haven't tried this yet. I can't find the forms for the pops. But sounds good.

Tupperware makes them
  • Ariberri9
    Ariberri9 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    My office brings in sweets constantly as well, and the best advice I have for you is to JUST SAY NO!

Cravings are a mental phenomena, and you have the power to resist a craving; it's like ignoring an itch. You can do it; it's just hard.

If you get the urge to eat sweets, eat a sweet fruit. That helps me tons. I usually eat bananas, pears, and oranges. I'm allergic to apples, so I work with what I can have. I also eat yogurt. I've recently discovered that Pepperidge Farm makes a delicious cinnamon swirl bread that's only 80 calories per piece...if I want to treat myself (which is not often...maybe twice per month), I'll take a slice of cinnamon bread and put two tablespoons of peanut butter and half a banana on it. Delicious!

I hope this helps. :)
  • zen_mama
    zen_mama Posts: 51
    Options
    I find staying well hydrated helps me to avoid a lot of the sweet cravings. I also chew peppermint gum when I know I'll be around tempting foods. I try not to deprive myself of sweets entirely, just really pay attention to portion control. If I tell myself I can't have something, it sometimes backfires to the extent of making me want to binge on those foods when I feel stressed.
  • Justacoffeenut
    Justacoffeenut Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    I just found Almond Milk. to me the vanilla taste like a milk shake. One cup and the craving is gone.

Hope you find healthy alternatives to your cravings. I'm still working on mine. Slowly getting healthier but a work in progress.

Like I used to LOVE McD's frappe (only "coffe shop" around here). But my hubby got me a frappe maker to go with all my other coffee equipment. (friends joke I could open a shop). Well after some tweaking I've got my frappe down to 114 for a large rather then McD's 400 and some for their large. And I like mine better. :smile:

Play around with your favorite things and see if you can come up with lower calorie/ low fat homemade ones. I don't have alot of time through the week so I play on the weekends. We always have ones out then anyways so they are my testers and then also I don't have alot of leftovers to eat up either. A win win.
  • rima933
    rima933 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate. My sweet cravings are worse. At least yours are only when you are offered. I have been eating sweets my whole childhood, whatever i want whenever i want. Cookies, chocolate bars, icecream, junk food chips cake muffins, you name it. Yesterday i went to cosco for the first time, and i had to resist a brownie cake covered with cream puff pastries, which are covered in chocolate (milk and white) and topped with chocolate squares, 2kg mnm bags, cookies, Chocolate, i was literally gonna die in there. I am addicted to sweets soo bad, i feel like if i dont eat something sweet after i have my meals its as if i didnt eat all day. And when i eat them i have no self control. from the way that i eat junk, im lucky that im not fatter than this. After reading all of the replies
    about how some people treat themselves once a month i am shocked. And after you meet your calories you stop eating even if it means skipping dinner. No wonder i have no results compared to everyone else. i dont do that at alll. This post and their replies was a big wake-up call. I always feel the need to treat myself every single day even when i eat healthy. the self-discipline you guys have is incredible. for me, if something looks too good to resist, i quit my diet and then i tell myself im not on a diet i can eat whatever i want. lol
  • christina_michelle
    Options
    My office brings in sweets constantly as well, and the best advice I have for you is to JUST SAY NO!

Cravings are a mental phenomena, and you have the power to resist a craving; it's like ignoring an itch. You can do it; it's just hard.

If you get the urge to eat sweets, eat a sweet fruit. That helps me tons. I usually eat bananas, pears, and oranges. I'm allergic to apples, so I work with what I can have. I also eat yogurt. I've recently discovered that Pepperidge Farm makes a delicious cinnamon swirl bread that's only 80 calories per piece...if I want to treat myself (which is not often...maybe twice per month), I'll take a slice of cinnamon bread and put two tablespoons of peanut butter and half a banana on it. Delicious!

I hope this helps. :)

That sounds delicious!
  • christina_michelle
    Options
    I just found Almond Milk. to me the vanilla taste like a milk shake. One cup and the craving is gone.

Hope you find healthy alternatives to your cravings. I'm still working on mine. Slowly getting healthier but a work in progress.

Like I used to LOVE McD's frappe (only "coffe shop" around here). But my hubby got me a frappe maker to go with all my other coffee equipment. (friends joke I could open a shop). Well after some tweaking I've got my frappe down to 114 for a large rather then McD's 400 and some for their large. And I like mine better. :smile:

Play around with your favorite things and see if you can come up with lower calorie/ low fat homemade ones. I don't have alot of time through the week so I play on the weekends. We always have ones out then anyways so they are my testers and then also I don't have alot of leftovers to eat up either. A win win.

I LOVE the McD's Frappe's!!! Do you just do some coffee, milk, ice and maybe a little caramel syrup to make your healthier option?
  • 10KEyes
    10KEyes Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    only advice i can give you there is to step up, flex your will power, and say no thank you.
    if it's likely something you'll regret or avoid putting in your diary, don't do it. it's honestly that simple.
    :)
    ^^^^ This. Do you really want that cupcake to have control over you? Seriously, it's just food, you have the control. It's not what you can't have, it's what you choose not to have because it's not good for you. A treat now and then is okay.

Nice perspective! A cupcake is only food! It's not like it's a god or anything...touche!!

Unfortunately, that works about as well as telling a cocaine addict to have control. :laugh: That is why for many, it is best to go cold turkey from the sugar.
  • dkinman
    dkinman Posts: 10
    Options
    I used to decline the sweet stuff every time, but now I join in and eat half or three quarters of the portion. At home I try to incorporate somewhat healthier treats for me and the kids. In the morning: English Muffin, 1 teaspoon of Philadelphia indulgence chocolate or two chocolate marshmallows melted on each half, then top with 1 Tablespoon of Cool Whip "Free". It isn't very many calories, and I am satisfied because I used half servings on the Philadelphia Indulgence and Cool Whip.
  • cspong
    cspong Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I always keep Chapmans chocolate popsicles (Lollys) on hand. They're 70cals and Oh so good. I love that I'll be able to have a cool chocolatey treat in the summer :)
  • christina_michelle
    Options
    I used to decline the sweet stuff every time, but now I join in and eat half or three quarters of the portion. At home I try to incorporate somewhat healthier treats for me and the kids. In the morning: English Muffin, 1 teaspoon of Philadelphia indulgence chocolate or two chocolate marshmallows melted on each half, then top with 1 Tablespoon of Cool Whip "Free". It isn't very many calories, and I am satisfied because I used half servings on the Philadelphia Indulgence and Cool Whip.

that sounds delicious!