Fruit Calories...... :(

Options
I can not stand when an orange is 80-100 calories!! Not even to mention a pear or apple are more calories. Am I alone when I feel like I don't want to eat fruit because of the calories contentl. I think I would rather eat a cookie!!! Anyone agree with me?

Replies

• Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    Just because fruit has calories, it doesn't mean its the same kind of calories in a cookie. Not all calories are the same. Fruit has so many good things in them.

A healthy diet isn't just about calories.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    A medium orange has about 60 calories, and average cookie has a few hundred.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Just because fruit has calories, it doesn't mean its the same kind of calories in a cookie. Not all calories are the same. Fruit has so many good things in them.

Wowsa - congratulations on your weight loss
  • shimmer_glo
    shimmer_glo Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I don't think an average apple or pear has more than 100 calories. Also, try clementines. They're only about 35 calories and still have that orange flavor.
  • pkfrankel
    pkfrankel Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    A piece of fruit will keep you full much longer than a cookie. That is why you can easily eat a dozen cookies but try eating a dozen apples.
  • Fieldsy
    Options

Wowsa - congratulations on your weight loss
    thanks!
  • sting5
    sting5 Posts: 408
    Options
    I don't think an average apple or pear has more than 100 calories. Also, try clementines. They're only about 35 calories and still have that orange flavor.

I love clementines..I didn't know they only have 35 calories. Thanks
    I realize that the nutrional value of fruit is different than sugar snacks, but I still hate to add those calories to my food log. Thanks to everyone for the great advice.
  • kaliedoscope65
    Options
    I tried weight watchers again after several years -- they just revamped their whole program after studies done concerning fruit and vegetables. Basically now you can eat as many fruits and vegetables as you want. Of course there are exception fruits and vege's but for the most part the program opened up a whole new world to dieting. The fiber in fruit helps you stay regular and the natural sugars are good for staving off the cookie munch. Of course I have since dropped weight watchers because I have trouble with tracking my food and points or calories -- you have to track -- so why pay $30 a month for online support when there are other places that are free? Because $30 buys a lot of fresh vege's and fruit
  • Fieldsy
    Options

I love clementines..I didn't know they only have 35 calories. Thanks
    I realize that the nutrional value of fruit is different than sugar snacks, but I still hate to add those calories to my food log. Thanks to everyone for the great advice.

Think of your body as a fat burning machine, because it is! You want to fuel your fat body machine with good foods! Now think of your body as a car. You don't want to fill it up with crappy gas do you? You want to give it the good stuff.
  • lifes_revenge
    lifes_revenge Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Then of course there is the satisfaction side.... I eat an orange or apple and my body stops cravings and feels fuller....I eat a cookie and all that happens is I want a-bloody-nother one!!! Not to mention the re-instigation of the sugar cravings which i have worked so hard to eradicate myself of :/
  • sting5
    sting5 Posts: 408
    Options
    Again...thanks everyone. I feel better about fruit :)))) It's all in my head
  • WhittRak
    WhittRak Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I snack on fruit all the time when I feel the need to, and it has not stopped me from loosing any weight :)
  • glenr79
    glenr79 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    see the calories in an orange have a purpose in your body, loaded with tons of vitamins and nutrients.... .when you eat a 80 calorie donut, or a quarter of a snickers bar, or half a can of soda.... there is no nutritional valure in those but the same calories... since there is no nutrition it gets stored straight fat, what other purpose would they have? So when you eat something healthy it goes and serves its purpose in the body and gets burned up :P
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    no i don't agree with you. Fruit is a ton more healthier than a cookie.
  • Kep2005
    Kep2005 Posts: 57 Member
    Options

Congrats on the weight loss! How long has it been since you started trying to lose weight?
  • ladylu11
    ladylu11 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I buy the frozen mixed berries from Sam's (blueberries, blackberries and raspberries). Only 80 calories for a cup and I mix them into my vanilla greek yogurt. Comes to a total of 200 calories and those berries are loaded with antioxidants :)
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    see the calories in an orange have a purpose in your body, loaded with tons of vitamins and nutrients.... .when you eat a 80 calorie donut, or a quarter of a snickers bar, or half a can of soda.... there is no nutritional valure in those but the same calories... since there is no nutrition it gets stored straight fat, what other purpose would they have? So when you eat something healthy it goes and serves its purpose in the body and gets burned up :P

well unhealthy things get used as energy not just stored :P

But i mostly agree with this answer ^^ you are getting more put of the fruit than you would a cookie
  • njmp
    njmp Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Yay fruit!!! Seriously. Eat it. It's delicious! I know, genius advice, but I am definitely on the fruit train! I hate it when people tell me that fruit has too much sugar so you shouldn't eat it. Silly people. So, in conclusion: fruit good:)
  • Fieldsy
    Options

Congrats on the weight loss! How long has it been since you started trying to lose weight?

pretty much all of my life, but in 2005 was the start of my "new" beginning
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    lol. I smell a troll. if not you have more serious issues than a forum post can begin to deal with. *exits*
    >