Sodium Questions

Options
I have been carefully selecting raw veggies, salads, only a small amount of fruits daily. I am almost ALWAYS over my sodium.HELP! I get canned veggies=sodium..frozen chicken..boneless & skinless=sodium I just found out broccoli STALKS vs Flowerettes is a big difference in sodium content. Even tho these are "natural sodium" I still am going over. I just feel frustrated and I cant even get CLOSE to my calories a day because I am going over sodium...or vitamins...or one or two points over sugar. I feel like I just cant do this ..Am I just dumb? It is all natural sugars ect....I am NOT using salt..sugar...honey or even splends..ect

Replies

• KathyJSR
    KathyJSR Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    How many mg. are you talking about? My husband is on a low sodium diet (2 grams or 2000 mg/day) & since I don't want to cook separate meals for us, I eat the same things. I usually am under 2000 (mfp gives me up to 2500). Frequently I'm at about 1500 in a day. Read labels - you'd be surprised how much sodium is in anything pre-made. Watch out for sauce mixes, salad dressings, and anything like hamburger helper. Start with your own rice or pasta, don't salt water when boiling, and add fresh or frozen veggies, fresh meats, etc. for a casserole or one-pot meal. Using the recipe maker on mfp is a great way to check anything you make from scratch.
  • Mommyof3texans
    Options
    I find steaming up the frozen veggies (fresh even better!) are way better than canned when it comes to salt. However, I'm finding that you can find some canned with "no salt added" and they should be significantly lower in sodium.

I TRY to stay around 1500 a day and also try to get lots of potassium which really helps balance the sodium out. Feel free to check out my diary if you like.
  • tamraj
    tamraj Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    You are not dumb just maybe trying to track too much. It might be a matter of choosing to track the things that are important to you. I take a multi-vitamin among other supplements and eat all foods pretty clean- I don't cut out any food groups these days (although I have in the past) so I do not even look at vitamin counts anymore as my normal diet plus the supplements give me what I need and then some. Of course, if one is eliminating foods like dairy or meats one might have to keep an eye on calcium, B vitamins, iron, etc., I too am wondering what your daily sodium goal is. I watch my sodium pretty closely and am usually able to stay at or below 1500 or so-yes, many veggies and otherwise healthy and natural foods have sodium- some like Swiss chard have a lot when compared to say, kale. I myself do not pay attention to every single item that MFP tracks and it doesn't differentiate between sugars in fruit and refined sugars. That being said, I do limit myself to one or two servings of fruit a day, and those are usually the ones that are the highest in fiber and antioxidants and lower on the glycemic index. I also really limit a lot of sweet/starchy veggies like beets and corn.

There are some things I track just to be sure I am getting enough and even have set higher than the MFP default- protein and fiber are two that if I go over I am happy. As the others have said, seek out no or lower-sodium options- for example, Sargento's low-fat Swiss slices have way less sodium than the low-fat cheddar slices. I put my food for the day in my tracker and will pick and choose things based on sodium and calories, which are the two things I will make food choices about.

I have just started having great results-almost 20 pounds gone in the last couple of months-and I think it is because I have finally started to dial in what affects my body. Even though I joined in 2010 I didn't really start using MFP consistently until this past February). Try not to get too discouraged- use the tracker as a way to get to know how your body is affected by what you are eating and as a planning tool.
  • Mammawto9
    Mammawto9 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am eating green salads, low/no fat dressings,raw veggies, boneless skinless chicken, cooked on stove to steamed, just onion or garlic on it, occasionally a TBL of salsa not much. I dont track vitamins mostly because I am on multi vitamins and vit D. Not processed box food, hamhelper mas n cheese ect. No potatoes,no rice, egg whites once...Fruit is maybe 1/2 cup cantaloupe and 1/2 orange. No fried foods, flour, oil, margarine, butter,at all. I guess I will just look for low sodium foods. Maybe I should try a diabetic diet.No canned veggies or frozen veggies.....all raw steamed occasionally for a hot meal
  • Mammawto9
    Mammawto9 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    21727750.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter