Best Way To Set Daily Calorie Goal?

Options
graelwyn
graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
So far, I just set it to sedentary and add on my exercise calories, so my calorie goal tends to be different each day but I have noticed quite a few people use another site, and simply set an average daily intake, taking into account how often they exercise per week, so that their calorie goal remains the same each day.

I am wondering if that is a better way to do it or not.

Replies

• ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    It's what I do and it works for me. Saves having to deal with MFPs guesstimates on your workout :)

Anyway, if you want to do it, calculate your BMR, then;

Little or No Exercise: TDEE = 1.2 x BMR
    Light Exercise/Sports 1 to 3 Times Per Week: TDEE = 1.375 x BMR
    Moderate Exercise, Sports 3 to 5 Times Per Week: TDEE = 1.55 x BMR
    Heavy Exercise, Sports 6 to 7 Times Per Week: TDEE = 1.725 x BMR
    Very heavy exercise (e.g., physical job; training 2x/day): TDEE = 1.9 x BMR

TDEE is your maintenace. If you want to gain, add 10% to whatever your TDEE is.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    i think it depends on whether you exercise regularly, the same amount on same days, etc if you know you exercise 5 days a week for sure then you can do that.. if you are like me and don't do it daily or miss out a few days then i don't think it works as well.. you 'll end up eating too much b/c you didn't burn what you "thought" you were going to. I add mine in daily as one week i will exercise regularly then the next hardly at all...
  • graelwyn
    Options
    I generally exercise at least an hour, often 90 mins, 6 days a week.
    Most I have missed is two days when I had to visit my mother.
  • ashleyrwalkner
    ashleyrwalkner Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The best formula to calculate how many calories you burn by doing nothing and then how many calories you need to eat under in order to lose is this one:

For a Woman: 655 + (4.35 x weight in lbs) + (4.7 x height in inches) - (4.7 x age) = how many cals your burn by just breathing and being alive

If you take that number you just got and times it by 1.2 that figures in activity (moderate activity, if you are exercising then this number would increase BUT it sets a standard of calories to eat UNDER and LOSE weight)...

EXAMPLE: A woman that is 211 pounds and is 5'1" and is 27 years old:

655 + (4.35 x 211) + (4.7 x 61) - (4.7 x 27) = 1732.65 cals burned doing nothing x 1.2 = 2079.18 cals to eat under to lose weight

Be careful of eating too less calories for this will DECREASE your metabolic rate and make it difficult to lose weight even though you are eating under the calories suggested. The app gave me a projected 1200 calories, which is FAR too less for me, so I increased it on my own. I suggest using that formula to see what it is at the weight you are NOW, then recalulcate to a goal weight and eat for THAT suggested calories because eventually you'll have to, so it's best to start training to eating that now. If you go over then, you know, that's okay, but try and stay in the goal weights calorie intake suggestions. Also, try and get in at least 50g of protein a day. When protein is being digested and absorbed your body tends to let more fat grams and carbs be pushed through as waste, when means you are taking in less when you eat... which also allows you to not use as many calories as well. Hope this all helps! Just remember if you're not losing weight, but watching what you eat and exercising, that it's still extremely healthy and influencing heart health, increased blood circulation, brain activity, and lung health.. along with everything else! Keep up the good work!

-Ashley, Nursing school for RN :)
  • IslandJade22
    Options
    Bump thanks for the info
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    thx for that info... so now i know i need to eat more then 1350 but under 1400 to loose weight... my formula worked out to 1347.4 X 1.2 = 1616.... so i took 15% off that to loose weight and it gave me 1374 & 1366 if i just took off 250 cals. to loose .5 lbs... eat no less then 1350! mfp has me set at 1300 to loose .5 a week
  • hjvoutour
    hjvoutour Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    this is interesting info, i also had calorie goat set at 1200 by MFP and although the scale moved my first 2 days it hasnt budged since and I have been diligent in the tracking.....i do a body pump workout at the Good Life 3 times a week and do treadmill 3 times a week, I was told my calories may be to low....doing the below calculation i came out at 1738.92 at current weight and 1633.15 as total at my goal weight....thinking i may need to increase from that 1200???
  • Medtech2004
    Medtech2004 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Bump - Thanks for the info!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    They should both theoretically get you to the same number at the end. Whatever seems easier to manage. On tip I will suggest is don't use sedentary. It will short you by a few hundred calories. At least that's what it seems to do for me and several others.

Another thing to do is use some checks and balances from time to time. Like punch your numbers into a TDEE calculator (e.g., http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html), and see how that compares to what MFP is giving.
  • 2youngatheart
    2youngatheart Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    bump...good info!
  • mommyhof3
    mommyhof3 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    Bump!

nice tat!!
  • graelwyn
    Options
    Yes, I put my info into fitness frog, and gives me a tdee of between 2100 and 2300 or somewhere thereabouts since I am exercising 6-7 times a week. I am going to just set my daily goal to 2200 for now and see how it goes. I figure it doesn't matter too much if I eat a little under it sometimes. It seems ridiculously high for someone who does a fair amount of sitting on her bottom each day, but I do an hour to two hours exercise daily and tend to be on my feet around 4-6 hours a day too, just doing things around my home or out in town.

I suppose it seems a lot when you see so many here on 1200, 1300, 1400 calories a day etc, and considering that surely my metabolism must be crap at 36 and with an eating disorder history, but I am only trying to maintain now.

I just found it frustrating having such different calorie goals from day to day.
  • stroken96
    stroken96 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    The best formula to calculate how many calories you burn by doing nothing and then how many calories you need to eat under in order to lose is this one:

For a Woman: 655 + (4.35 x weight in lbs) + (4.7 x height in inches) - (4.7 x age) = how many cals your burn by just breathing and being alive

If you take that number you just got and times it by 1.2 that figures in activity (moderate activity, if you are exercising then this number would increase BUT it sets a standard of calories to eat UNDER and LOSE weight)...

EXAMPLE: A woman that is 211 pounds and is 5'1" and is 27 years old:

655 + (4.35 x 211) + (4.7 x 61) - (4.7 x 27) = 1732.65 cals burned doing nothing x 1.2 = 2079.18 cals to eat under to lose weight

Be careful of eating too less calories for this will DECREASE your metabolic rate and make it difficult to lose weight even though you are eating under the calories suggested. The app gave me a projected 1200 calories, which is FAR too less for me, so I increased it on my own. I suggest using that formula to see what it is at the weight you are NOW, then recalulcate to a goal weight and eat for THAT suggested calories because eventually you'll have to, so it's best to start training to eating that now. If you go over then, you know, that's okay, but try and stay in the goal weights calorie intake suggestions. Also, try and get in at least 50g of protein a day. When protein is being digested and absorbed your body tends to let more fat grams and carbs be pushed through as waste, when means you are taking in less when you eat... which also allows you to not use as many calories as well. Hope this all helps! Just remember if you're not losing weight, but watching what you eat and exercising, that it's still extremely healthy and influencing heart health, increased blood circulation, brain activity, and lung health.. along with everything else! Keep up the good work!

-Ashley, Nursing school for RN :)

Thanks going to try this later
  • KourtneyLee
    KourtneyLee Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I think the most important factor when setting your daily calorie goal is just to be honest. It's really that simple. If you aren't very active, then don't say that you are. If you would like to work out 4 times a week but only usually end up working out twice a week, then change your exercise goals/habits to how they actually are. Eventually, you will work your way up to the "ideal" person you want to be, but until, be honest about everything you do and eat. When it comes to foods, I always round up. In my mind, it's better overestimate than underestimate so that you don't have any confusion if you don't see any differences in your body by the way you're tracking your activities and calories.

I find the guided calorie counter for this site to be very helpful, so I just use it.