Helpful Info: Are you eating enough calories?

Options

Replies

• sheeler301
    sheeler301 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Bells5001
    Bells5001 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I calculated 417.9.....I don't get it.
  • _blizzard_
    _blizzard_ Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Mine is 1515 without the exercise added. With the exercise added it's 1969. So how many calories should I be eating to lose 2 pounds a week? Are you not supposed to eat below this number? I'm confused.
  • pantsdailyon
    pantsdailyon Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    So I just thought I would share The Mifflin Equation with you guys if you were interested:

REE (Resting Energy Expenditure) = (10 x weight/2.2) + (6.25 x height in inches x 2.54) - (5 x age) - 161

Curious why it wouldn't just be:

REE = (10 x weight/2.2) + (height in inches x 15.875) - (5 x age) - 161

If everyone is to multiply their height by 6.25 and 2.54, everyone is multiplying their height by 15.875, right?
  • sting5
    sting5 Posts: 408
    Options
    I also try to get some protein in at almost every meal. I had a doctor once tell me that to get a balanced diet, it's good to have 1/3 of your plate protein, 1/3 veggies, and 1/3 a starch. I don't follow those orders to the letter, but I find that my favorite breakfast involves a whole grain, such as oatmeal, some fruit, and some protein, like nuts or greek yogurt. That particular combination keeps me sane most of the morning.

Good advice.....Protein, very important
  • dschavers
    dschavers Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • smcolton
    smcolton Posts: 78
    Options
    Bump
  • Mommyof3texans
    Options
    So I just thought I would share The Mifflin Equation with you guys if you were interested:

REE (Resting Energy Expenditure) = (10 x weight/2.2) + (6.25 x height in inches x 2.54) - (5 x age) - 161

If everyone is to multiply their height by 6.25 and 2.54, everyone is multiplying their height by 15.875, right?

It's written that way because dividing by 2.2 converts lbs to kg and multiplying by the 2.54 converts inches to cm. But, yes you are right.
  • hw1219
    hw1219 Posts: 14
    Options
    pantsdailyon- Yes, you are correct that you would end up with the same number. When multiplying numbers the order of operations won't change the answer. Mommyof3texan's comment explained the technical part. (Sorry, I don't know how to use the quotes thing).
  • hw1219
    Options
    If anyone is confused or has any questions, feel free to message me. I would be happy to help and I could also figure out the formula for you if you want. :)
  • thaphatdiva
    thaphatdiva Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I just want to thank you for this great information. I knew I wasn't eating enough calories!
  • LiddyBit
    LiddyBit Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Could you please define starvation mode, and maybe cite some credible scientific sources supporting your definition? It's just that I have not been able to find any conclusive information about it so I'm confused about what people mean, exactly, when they use the term.
  • hw1219
    Options
    Could you please define starvation mode, and maybe cite some credible scientific sources supporting your definition? It's just that I have not been able to find any conclusive information about it so I'm confused about what people mean, exactly, when they use the term.

What I mean by starvation mode, is that when your body is not getting enough calories it won't let go of the fat stores. There's not one set number that means starvation mode. Every person is different. That's why the Mifflin equation takes into account a variety of factors to determine your REE.

I couldn't really find scientific sources, but my friend who did my wellness assessment is getting his Bachelor's in Personal Wellness and Nutrition and is already certified as a personal trainer. So he knows what he's talking about.

I found the following online at this site that explains it better. http://optimalbodyweight.com/qa/weight-loss-tips/body/starvation-mode-weight-loss

"Many weight loss coaches use the term “starvation mode” to describe your body’s natural response to protect itself when you don’t eat enough for extended periods. When you regularly eat too little food to provide your body with the necessary nutrients, it perceives itself to be in danger from starvation. Since your body is wonderfully designed to protect you, it will slow down your metabolism to conserve energy so it can keep vital organs such as the brain and the heart going for as long as possible in the face of the perceived threat. While it will burn fat for fuel, it will also start burning lean muscle mass for fuel, which will slow down your metabolism even further. People on starvation diets invariably find that they regain all the weight they’ve lost (and then some) very quickly as soon as they start eating again."
  • jfaure23
    jfaure23 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I had stalled after losing quickly initially when my cals were set to 1200 per day. I have upped my calories to 1750 per day and the weight has begun falling off again, 1-2 pounds per week.
  • joy31021
    joy31021 Posts: 216
    Options
    bump
  • Pauline3290
    Pauline3290 Posts: 80
    Options
    BUMP
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options

:D I wondered that myself when I read it.
  • Tristis
    Tristis Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • lisabrezina1980
    lisabrezina1980 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    bump
  • melbhall
    melbhall Posts: 519
    Options
    Bump