I think im doing this whole excerise

Options
I think im doing this whole exercise thing all wrong...Yesterday I was just starting out so I wanted to start slow so I walked our indoor track....I walked a whole mile...Today I wanted to try the stationary bike...its one of those fancy ones with all the bells and whistles I only went about 22 minutes but I rode 5 miles..did 15 laps keeping my heart rate at about 115...guess I feel like I should be doing something that will burn more calories or im not going to lose any of the weight...any advice..I really want to start running but when I tried yesterday I felt like I was going to die...my heart was beating so hard...I did really like the bike but let me tell you my rear end hurt when I was done but I felt good...any advice...

Replies

• Pickles11
    Pickles11 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Google or search in MFP "c25k" or "Couch to 5k" ...it's a starter program for running. It will help ease you into it. Running is awesome and a great workout.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    115 is kind of low for a heart rate at your age is there any reason why you're sticking that low? i'm 40 and have about 60 more pounds to lose and 130 is the minimum heart rate i allow myself for cardio. yeah it's a bit uncomfortable and now that i'm in better shape it takes a lot more work to get to 130, but exercise isnt supposed to be able being comfortable and you dont really improve unless you challenge yourself.

and weight loss is more about your diet than your workouts. and dont be afraid to lift heavy weights
  • fitnessgal12
    Options
    Pickles11...Im gonna go check that out..im thinking I was trying to rush it...

meshashesha20.... I that is what was set on the machine by the guy that was helping me at the fitness center...I wasnt sure what it was suppose to be...im still new to all this exercise stuff...You are so right about it being what you eat...I am trying to change 40 plus years of bad habits so far I think im on the right track...I have total given up fast food and soda...I also am making better choices when I go out to dinner...It was odd last night when my husband had a hamburger and fries and I so wanted a fry but I was able to not take one and eat it...I have been sticking to fish, rice, salad and fruit so far...
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Pickles11...Im gonna go check that out..im thinking I was trying to rush it...

meshashesha20.... I that is what was set on the machine by the guy that was helping me at the fitness center...I wasnt sure what it was suppose to be...im still new to all this exercise stuff...You are so right about it being what you eat...I am trying to change 40 plus years of bad habits so far I think im on the right track...I have total given up fast food and soda...I also am making better choices when I go out to dinner...It was odd last night when my husband had a hamburger and fries and I so wanted a fry but I was able to not take one and eat it...I have been sticking to fish, rice, salad and fruit so far...

yeah changing eating habits can be hard. just take it slowly. for instance my problem used to be eating out. i never made anything at home. heck i didnt even realize the pilot light of the oven in my last apartment wasnt until until i was there for 3 years and i ended up living there for 5 without ever using that oven :laugh: what i started doing was gradually increasing the meals i made at home. first breakfast then breakfast and snacks.. and so on...

now when i eat out, i log on to the restaurant's website ahead of time to plan what i'm going to eat. that way if the healthy options are few and far between, i dont need to take 20 minutes to decide, which reduces the chances of me being like "screw it i'll just take the wings and fries"
  • Punktorian
    Punktorian Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    One of the best things you can do is find things you enjoy doing at least a little bit. When you are first starting up this will help you get into a routine which will help you keep going. It doesn't matter how many calories you burn, how much you lift, how far you run, how much you lose if you stop. So if you enjoy the bike or walking keep it up and when you feel you can push yourself a bit go a bit harder and get your heart rate up.
  • BazAbroad
    BazAbroad Posts: 248
    Options
    My advice to a complete Gym novice is to go for time in the Gym doing stuff and forget the cals. Ie - try to train for say 30 mins, no matter what u do, your aim is to be training for that length of time.
    If your starting from nothing anything has to be an improvement, find your feet in the Gym b4 you run so to speak.
    Mix it up, do whatever you can, and when more confident and orientated, then start a program.
  • fatbutgettingthinner
    fatbutgettingthinner Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Google "runners world smartcoach" - took me from noob runner to 1:59 half marathon :-)
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Find what you like and go from there. If you do want to pursue running, Couch 2 5K is a good starting program that begins with intervals of running and walking.
  • NancyNiles
    NancyNiles Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    My advice to a complete Gym novice is to go for time in the Gym doing stuff and forget the cals. Ie - try to train for say 30 mins, no matter what u do, your aim is to be training for that length of time.
    If your starting from nothing anything has to be an improvement, find your feet in the Gym b4 you run so to speak.
    Mix it up, do whatever you can, and when more confident and orientated, then start a program.

I agree with this. I see you're goal is to lose 60 lbs, but without knowing your starting weight, its hard to say if running is really what you should be focusing on because it hard on your knees. So I would really seek the advice of your doctor before you start something as high impact as running. You've invested in a gym and can get the same results without the impact by using the elliptical machine. I'm not suggesting you do that... I'm just telling you that's what people who can't, or shouldn't run are using to get similar results.

You'll find a lot of good advice here on MFP, but if you are a true fitness newbie, you want to start with your doctor.