Vegetarian Meals

Options
Anyone know of any good vegetarian recipes? No seafood, poultry, red meat or eggs.

Replies

• morninglilli
    Options
    My favorite vegi meal is gnocchi with white beans and chard. You can find the recipe here. http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/skillet_gnocchi_with_chard_white_beans.html

seriously the best thing ever!!!! Eating Well has a whole vegi recipe section that is fantastic!
  • anamikaman
    Options
    Thank you! I'll go and check out those sites.
  • mexville
    mexville Posts: 3
    Options
    More sites & books to check out. Full of great stuff!
    http://www.yummyvegetarianrecipes.com/ <<---I've made the black eyed pea soup several times!

Viva Vegan! <<If you like Latin food do yourself a favor and get this book!
    Veganomicon
    This Crazy Vegan Life
    1001 Low-Fat Vegetarian Recipes <<Every single thing we've tried so far has been delicious and easy!
  • zen_mama
    zen_mama Posts: 51
    Options
    I get a lot of my recipes from www.vegetariantimes.com or my favorite website for veggies and vegans- vegweb.com
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    google black bean burgers and use the egg substitute. they are so good
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Tonight I had Quinoa and black beans- I just threw the quinoa and canned beans and water in my rice cooker with vegetable boullion and some cayenne pepper, and then I added some fresh chopped tomato in just before I ate it. Cooked all together, one pot, virtually no effort and delicious!

Feel free to look at my diary if you want any ideas.
  • aksunshine
    aksunshine Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I love black bean burgers! Yum, my only probably is portion control with those :) I've been hooked on veggie sandwiches lately.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    I can post some recipes later, but theppk.com is a good place to start
  • laula84
    laula84 Posts: 11
    Options
    I have so many great vegie recipes!
    I love roast vegie and quinoa salad, tofu stir fries, home made vegie burgers with potato and lentils, broccoli soups, pea, potato and sweet potato curry. If you're after something a bit quicker, like a mid week meal: have you tried meat substitute products? I make a spaghetti with quorn mince which is surprisingly good and I also used it for mexican dishes....
  • 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Laurej
    Laurej Posts: 227
    Options
    Homemade vegi burgers sound great! Thanks all for the recipe site suggestion
  • TwinsaneMom
    TwinsaneMom Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I use one of two sites when I run out of ideas. One of my fave vegetarian recipies is a tofu and veggie stir-fry, even my kids love it. For the recipe you can look on my recipe page, if it doesn't show up, let me know and I'll message it to you.

These are the sites I use:
    http://www.caringcarrot.com/
    http://www.myvegancookbook.com/blog/

May God always hold you in the palm of His hands and bless you abundantly.
    ~~Debbra
  • vmessyness
    vmessyness Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    i personally have been loving dragon bowls recently (as pictured in my avatar). there's no one recipe for a dragon bowl, so you can really customize it as you see fit. the basic idea is to pick your favorite healthy grain, i personally like quinoa, but you can use brown/red rice, bulgur, buckwheat soba noodles etc. pick your favorite legume, i like garbanzo beans the most, but often use kidney beans because they're prettier. then you add a variety of your favorite vegetables, either raw or blanched/roasted --some of my favorite are roasted peppers, asparagus, blanched kale, raw cabbage etc. topping it off with fresh sliced avocado is pretty common, but optional. the most important part --and what really makes it a dragon bowl instead of a bowl of quinoa and veggies is the "dragon sauce." a tangy miso-tahini dressing is a pretty standard and tasty option (i can share my recipe with you if you're interested), but you could also make any healthy vegan dressing to top it off with. sprinkle with sesame seeds (white, black or both).
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I have so many great vegie recipes!
    I love roast vegie and quinoa salad, tofu stir fries, home made vegie burgers with potato and lentils, broccoli soups, pea, potato and sweet potato curry. If you're after something a bit quicker, like a mid week meal: have you tried meat substitute products? I make a spaghetti with quorn mince which is surprisingly good and I also used it for mexican dishes....

The quorn stuff is delicious, but made with egg protein.
  • Cherp18
    Cherp18 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    bump :smile:
  • cole_37
    cole_37 Posts: 10
    Options
    I made some yummy Red Lentil Soup yesterday based on this recipe but made some adjustments:
    http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/7731/red+lentil+dahl

I fried one chopped onion, 1/2 tsp ginger, 1 tsp ground coriander, 1 tsp tumeric, 1 1/2 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper in about a tablespoon of vegetable oil.

Then I added 2 cups of salt reduced vegetable stock and two cups of water and brought it to the boil before adding one carrot and two potatoes finely chopped. I rinsed off about a cup of red lentils and added that to the mix and let simmer on low for a good hour.

Last minute I decided to add about a cup of frozen peas and corn kernels and let them cook in the soup for 5-10 minutes.

I'd probably cut the cumin and cayenne pepper by half if you don't like spicy foods but it was super tasty and easy to throw together. Low calorie, cheap, decent amount of protein and high in fibre!
  • Lieberm
    Lieberm Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I very much like homemade cabbage soup. Almost anything in the produce department goes in mine, with a can of diced chili tomatoes instead of broth. I make a huge pot of it while logging each ingredient here in my recipes then divide it right into individual Gladware bowls then refrigerate or freeze it. Instant meals all week long with known nutritional value.
  • cole_37
    cole_37 Posts: 10
    Options
    I like to make this pasta dish a lot and in fact, will probably be having it for dinner tonight.

I fry off an onion, 1 red pepper, 1 zucchini with some garlic in olive oil for 1-2 mins. Add a can of crushed tomatoes with any herbs you like (oregano, basil, rosemary) and let simmer for 10-15 mins before tossing through some cooked wholemeal pasta.

When I've plated up, I like to add some low fat cottage cheese for protein and stir it through. I'm not the biggest fan of cottage cheese but it's actually not bad at all when used this way.
  • Luvmyhubby222
    Luvmyhubby222 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    allresipes.com actually has some decent recipes, complete with nutritional breakdown. I usually make up one or two caserole/pasta dishes and have leftovers throughout the week (don't like cooking when I am tired and starving!).
  • anamikaman
    Options
    thank you everyone .