obese chick and insanity

Options
SOOOooo....i just finished the 13th day of insanity and i love it so far! its SO intense and there is a reason they call it "insanity"!!!!!!!!!

i am considered to be obese because i am 5'3'' and as of this morning weight 189 lbs :/

i sweat like crazy during these workouts(like sweat is literally dripping off my body) and drink about 68-84 oz of water a day

i dont follow the meal plan to a "T" but i do eat very healthy

so my question is, shouldnt i be melting the fat off??? i havnt lost any weight yet and i find this to be very strange because im working out so hard. if someone could clarify what is going on here i would greatly appreciate it! :D

Replies

• Aquaduckie
    Aquaduckie Posts: 115
    Options
    It could be a couple of things. Are you eating ENOUGH calories? If you're working out really hard, you should definitely be eating your exercise calories. Another thing is that your body is probably losing fat and gaining muscle (which weighs more than fat) and so there's more of a transfer going on. I would say stick with it and keep going, because it is healthy. Some experts even recommend staying off the scale for a few weeks after starting a new healthy living plan, because it can seem discouraging if the scale isn't budging. But in a few weeks, you'll notice a huge difference! Also, have you taken your measurements? Sometimes you'll see a difference in inches even if the scale says otherwise. Good luck! I haven't tried Insanity, but I want to. You've given this obese chick hope that I could do it, too!
  • dcgonz
    dcgonz Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    First of all good job completing 13 days of Insanity, that's an accomplishment in it's self. I know plenty of people who have started and never got that far. I completed three rounds of Insanity last year to lose 30 pounds. The first round I lost a lot of inches but hardly any weight. For my second round I joined MFP and discovered I was not eating enough calories. I upped my calorie intake to around 1800 calories and the weight came off pretty quickly. I don't know if that's the case with you but you might start there.

Are you using a HRM to track how many calories you are burning or are you relying on MFP database? If you are just using MFP to estimate your calorie burn, you are going to be off and that could be another reason.

Diana
  • Kslice39
    Kslice39 Posts: 146
    Options
    lol i LOVE it so far! its really difficult but i push myself through it everyday. i even drink a protein shake after the workouts and down an extra bottle of water lol! i would recommend this program to anyone! if someone as far as me can do it anyone can! and i am eating enough calories cuz i track everything. maybe its like you said, a little bit of a transfer going on between muscle and fat. I just find it so odd that someone like me who has at least 40-50 lbs to lose to be considered "healthy"(and thats at the high end of the bmi scale!) hasnt lost a single ounce workout so much...i guess only time will tell. im getting kinda frustrated but im still going to complete the program
  • RebekahKuhl
    RebekahKuhl Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Here's a great article about why the scale is being mean -- https://www.turbokick.com/wblog/?p=709 Keep at it because huge changes are coming! Love Insanity, btw! :smile:
  • wdwghettogirl
    wdwghettogirl Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I'm also 5'3", I started MFP at 180lbs. I had lost a bit before I found out about Insanity, but I was by no means "fit" when I started it. I didn't weigh myself throughout the 60 days (just the beginning & end), so I don't know if my scale moved in the first couple weeks. But I lost 10lbs by the end. I've heard other people say they lost most of their weight in month 2. Hopefully you took measurements and "before" pics. I saw my biggest difference in my "before" & "after" pics.

Hang in there! It's an amazing program! I didn't follow the meal plan either, but tried to eat healthy as well. Don't stress... it'll happen. The body can be stubborn. And if you shock it with something as intense as Insanity, it'll freak out a little bit and retain water. But it'll gradually let go. I sweat like I was standing under a shower head... especially in month 2! lol It's awesome! :laugh:
  • Kslice39
    Options
    yeah i definitely need to invest in a hrm. lol it sucks being a poor college student lol! i just got lucky with being able to get these dvds because i found them on ebay for $32! :D i was super happy! i will look into getting a hrm,. I have a friend thats doing this with me and she lost 10lbs the FIRST WEEK!!! i was blown away and a little discouraged that i havnt lost a single ounce. i am still determined to complete this program!
  • Kslice39
    Options
    I'm also 5'3", I started MFP at 180lbs. I had lost a bit before I found out about Insanity, but I was by no means "fit" when I started it. I didn't weigh myself throughout the 60 days (just the beginning & end), so I don't know if my scale moved in the first couple weeks. But I lost 10lbs by the end. I've heard other people say they lost most of their weight in month 2. Hopefully you took measurements and "before" pics. I saw my biggest difference in my "before" & "after" pics.

Hang in there! It's an amazing program! I didn't follow the meal plan either, but tried to eat healthy as well. Don't stress... it'll happen. The body can be stubborn. And if you shock it with something as intense as Insanity, it'll freak out a little bit and retain water. But it'll gradually let go. I sweat like I was standing under a shower head... especially in month 2! lol It's awesome! :laugh:

yeah i literally look like i just got out of the pool when i finish insanity workouts lol!!! makes me feel great! I took before pics and im excited to see a difference! im hoping to lose at least a pant size or two!! ive also heard from a few others that month 2 is where the real craziness begins and where you can start to see a difference in your body. i signed up for my first 5k in august and im hoping that by completing this program i will be better prepared for it!
  • sweettoothfairy
    sweettoothfairy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I just finished 3 weeks of Insanity.. today is rest day.. even i m in obese category 200 pounds 5'5".. I use polar HRM FT7 to track my cals and i also wear Bodymedia fit. so far in 3 weeks i havnt lost a single pound however last night i pulled out a dress from closet and i wore it and to my surprise that dress was tight when i weighed 190 pounds but now its loose at 200 pounds , so i agree with earlier poster about Muscle gain....

I went through every forum as to why i am not losing and everyone says you start to lose in the second month of insanity around week 6-7 so hang in there .. there is nothing here to lose rather it will help you in increasing your endurance.
  • Kslice39
    Options
    Here's a great article about why the scale is being mean -- https://www.turbokick.com/wblog/?p=709 Keep at it because huge changes are coming! Love Insanity, btw! :smile:

this was really helpful! thank you for sharing! :smile:
  • Kslice39
    Options
    I just finished 3 weeks of Insanity.. today is rest day.. even i m in obese category 200 pounds 5'5".. I use polar HRM FT7 to track my cals and i also wear Bodymedia fit. so far in 3 weeks i havnt lost a single pound however last night i pulled out a dress from closet and i wore it and to my surprise that dress was tight when i weighed 190 pounds but now its loose at 200 pounds , so i agree with earlier poster about Muscle gain....

I went through every forum as to why i am not losing and everyone says you start to lose in the second month of insanity around week 6-7 so hang in there .. there is nothing here to lose rather it will help you in increasing your endurance.

its good to know im not the only one with this concern! i will definitely be completing the program and im looking forward to month two now!(and im a little scared for it at the same time lol!) and congrats on finishing week 3! thats wonderful!!! and congrats on the dress! i bet that felt SO` wonderful to put it on and feel how lose it was!! i look forward to the same thing!
  • dcgonz
    dcgonz Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Please note that muscle does not weigh more than fat but is more dense that fat. Here is a great article on understanding why you are losing inches but not weight.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/why-you-may-be-losing-inches-but-not-weight/
  • DestroyTheOpposition
    DestroyTheOpposition Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are eating your calories back. I also am doing Insanity. I will say my body is tightening up and I have lost inches all over. Dropped some pounds... not a ton. Make sure you are taking a measurements, as you well see the TRUE results that way. I have about 2 and a half weeks left in the program. :D
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Took me over a month of regular exercise (3-4 times a week doing Turbo Fire classes) before I saw any substantial or permanent weight loss. Just be patient. The laws of physics apply to everyone. :)
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Hufanae
    Hufanae Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I purchased a super cheap (gets the job done) hrm from amazon (Pyle Sports PHRM38BK Heart Rate Monitor Watch with 3D Walking/Running Sensor) it seems durable when jumping, standing, planking and stretching when doing insanity. I enter the calories BURNED into MFP which tells me how much more I need to eat.

I too didn't really notice any improvement myself for first couple weeks of insanity as well. Then I joined MFP and followed the 40-30-30 plan (40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat) recommended by others on this site and set my calorie intake to about 1700, based on my age, height, weight etc). Many nice and friendly people on this site with great info and advice about what I was achieving (i.e. Look and feel better).

The first several days trying to eat right foods were challenging because of the significant change in my diet, but after first week, it became easier eating right amount of carbs, protein and fat.... Before MFP I was eating way too much protein and lacking carbs.... But after a week and hitting my calories goals and eating right amount of carbs, etc, I noticed a big dramatic change in how I was looking in my stomach area. I even go over my calories some times but try to keep the carb, protein and ratio the same, and drink at least 8 cups of water, etc, etc. I didn't want to get my body into starvation mode which is bad if you do.

Keep it up you will soon see the difference once you start eating the right amount of protein, carbs, fat and hit your calorie goals. Hopefully you will SEE a difference and try to ignore a little what the scale says all the time.
  • bigd65
    bigd65 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    First of all good job completing 13 days of Insanity, that's an accomplishment in it's self. I know plenty of people who have started and never got that far. I completed three rounds of Insanity last year to lose 30 pounds. The first round I lost a lot of inches but hardly any weight. For my second round I joined MFP and discovered I was not eating enough calories. I upped my calorie intake to around 1800 calories and the weight came off pretty quickly. I don't know if that's the case with you but you might start there.

Are you using a HRM to track how many calories you are burning or are you relying on MFP database? If you are just using MFP to estimate your calorie burn, you are going to be off and that could be another reason.

Diana
    very smart reply I did it and lost about 12 pounds without HRM, If I would have had one I would have eaten all those calories back and probably been better off, You are not gonna look like Shaun T because its cardio, but keep going your heart will dy thank you in the end, and you will be toner for sure. It is better than sitting on the couch. I have borrowed my tapes to people who only make it 1 week and then give them back, just keep going and going good luck
  • littlebluej
    littlebluej Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Forget about the scale so much, look at how your clothes are fitting/take your measurements. Something similar happened to me a year ago - I started a new fitness routine, was eating healthily, busting my butt doing workouts, and after a month I had only lost 1lb. However, I had also lost about 6 inches overall.

Stick with it, you'll be seeing some changes soon enough. Sometimes weight loss occurs in big "dumps" rather than little bits at a time :)
  • Kslice39
    Options
    Thank you all for the encouraging words! I Have been looking into getting a HRM. I feel it woul greatly benefit me because I may be eating TOO many calories. I still find it weird that someone as fat as I isn't have the weight melt off with such an intense program. But im going to continue doing the workouts because I can already feel myself getting stronger! Im going I keep downing all that water and eating healthy! I'm going to TRY and get rid of the scale(even though I can hear it calling my name every morning lol) and focus more on how I feel and how clothes are fitting me. I did take before pictures an I plan on takin 30day(halfway mark in the program) and 60day(end of the program) pictures and compare results and if I like what I see I will do the program over again! Lol so far I love it! I just wish I could see that scale drop just a little lol I don't like to e considered obese when I've been working my butt off!!!(literally lol)
  • Kslice39
    Options
    I purchased a super cheap (gets the job done) hrm from amazon (Pyle Sports PHRM38BK Heart Rate Monitor Watch with 3D Walking/Running Sensor) it seems durable when jumping, standing, planking and stretching when doing insanity.

Has you HRM been pretty accurate?
  • cdnclovr
    cdnclovr Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I gotta ask... How did it go?!?