What can I make with cans of tuna?

Options
willis84
willis84 Posts: 86 Member
Id like to know how you make healthy snacks/meals with canned tuna. I don't like mayo so tuna salad is a no.

Replies

• ttxqiu
    ttxqiu Posts: 27
    Options
    I just eat canned tuna straight out of the can after I drain it. I also like eating it on crackers (Back to Nature's Stoneground Wheat Crackers are my favorite) with Kalamata olives.

You can also cook it with diced tomatoes with spices and a little bit of olive oil and toss it into fettuccine, or make a grilled tuna melt by putting drained canned tuna with slices of cheese in between two slices of bread (buttered on the outsides) and putting it on a skillet or into a panini press.
  • mamaparks87
    mamaparks87 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    You can put in on celery. I always just eat mine with some hot sauce on it with a fork.
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    ChasingSweatandTears Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    This will sound weird but it's Delish, Take onions and garlic and sauté, add canned tomatoes, black beans, tuna and cayenne pepper and serve with brown rice. I used to add a little brown sugar. It's sweet spicy and full of fiber and protein :)
  • mrsdizzyd84
    mrsdizzyd84 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Try mixing in some italian dressing instead of mayo for a quick snack. You can sub in greek yogurt or sour cream for the mayo in tuna salad.
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    ChasingSweatandTears Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Another one: summer salad.... Canned tuna, cottage cheese, bell peppers,,sliced tomatos, green onion and salt and pepper. Served with triscuits or wheat thins if desired. My go to meal in the summer, minus the crackers now
  • btretiak
    btretiak Posts: 23
    Options
    Can't go wrong with drained tuna, brown rice, and just about anything.....I eat it straight out of the can too. But my fave is too add in a mix of dijon and jalepeno mustard (no mayo so lo cal) and throw in a little quinoa or brown rice/barley.
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    You can do a tuna salad with out mayo. A Nocoise salad is super good, much nicer IMO, and you have it with a vinagrette, here's one of probably a thousand variations, http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/nicoise_salad/. Or There's Tuna patties, Tuna burgers, Tuna and rice casserole,Tuna Pasta sauce (creamy type or tomato based.) Really there are so many recipes out there for tinned tuna, just google around.

Meg
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I have tuna several times a week and my absolute favorite way to eat it is to mix it with salsa and diced tomatoes.
    505 Southwestern Organic Green Chili Sauce is the BEST!!!!

Tuna is also good mixed with hummus or guacamole.
  • torie079
    torie079 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Tuna is actually really good in tacos...
  • spearfox
    spearfox Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I use a raspberry walnut vinaigrette with the drained tuna.
    On occasion I will also add spinach or romaine lettuce.
    A few days ago I added some mini oranges. That was good too.
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I use mustard and hot sauce. I'm also anti-mayo.
  • LiddyBit
    LiddyBit Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I don't like mayo either and I mix it with mustard or with any sauce or marinade that goes with fish. It isn't my favorite thing to eat so I usually try to mix it with something that will mask the taste.
  • tamraj
    tamraj Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Creamed tuna on toast, brown rice, or quinoa (using low-fat ingredients)- add curry, dill, onion, garlic, etc. Or heat tuna in microwave with a Laughing Cow lite wedge or two- use as a dip for veg , sandwich or cracker spread, pasta sauce or just eat as is out of the bowl (yum!). Another thing I love to do is to a mash a hard boiled egg or two with tuna- it just creates another flavor layer and is a good extender when you only have one can of tuna and you really need two.