Weight gain with restrictions

Options
Help me design a meal plan to get in enough calories without eating eggs, dairy, gluten, or soy, and with only fish as far as animal products go!
I'm having a lot of trouble eating more than about 1800/1900 calories...

Replies

• VirginiaWoof
    Options
    I'm not 100% if these foods fit your requirements...

Nuts/Seeds
    Nut Butter
    Almond Milk
    Protein Shakes
    Oily Fish (salmon/mackerel/etc)
    Grains (lentils/quinoa/flax/rice)
    Avocados
    Rice noodles
    Tofu
    Hummus & Veggies
    Ratatouille
    Beans...

Girl, this is tough! Do you have allergies?
  • Kelseyyyy22
    Kelseyyyy22 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm allergic to gluten, dairy, and soy, sensitive to eggs (meaning I can't have a fried egg but I could have a piece of bread with egg in it, if that makes sense), and I can't digest red meat.
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    are you actually allergic or have you sensitized your body through restriction? This is what happened to me, and after spending a year very slowly re-introducing things i can eat basically anything except gluten now....
  • Kelseyyyy22
    Kelseyyyy22 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's from restriction...these aren't the things I restricted. Soy I /know/ is an allergy (it's been my whole life) and gluten I took a celiac test and while I'm not celiac I was close enough (it's a spectrum, not a yes/no thing) that they said I should cut it out. I have a digestive disorder which explains the meat thing too.
  • joreill
    joreill Posts: 4
    Options
    Er, it doesn't seem that bad. I wish I was trying to add calories. I imagine it's hard to eat out but rice alone should be enough to make you hit whatever target you wish -- it's what many sumo wrestlers use to maintain their caloric intake. Season with saffron or turmeric or whatever (since you've eliminated non-fish animal stocks). VirginiaWoof listed a lot of good choices, especially of the fattier (not necessarily unhealthy) kinds. Oily ocean fish would be another addition. Hell, just plain olive oils and other oil flavorings can pack on the calories without harm and possibly augment your diet, depending on what it is now.

Pescatarianism is quite healthy I admit, though I lack any personal moral/ethical drive to eliminate other aspects of my diet.

GL,
    James
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    Potatoes can help you gain weight fast, probably too fast. I'd eat homemade french fries cooked in coconut or olive oil every day if I needed to gain weight.

Also If you can afford it, hemp seed and almond butter are two great protein sources.
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    of course you should ask a doctor but i had this exact same issue due to restricting - after a year and a half of SLOWLY SLOWY reintroducing (and a lot of night of being sick!) i am getting there are my body is becoming de-sensitied.... (however i am actually celiac!), it sthe soy, lactose and citrus i can now begin to eat again...Funny thing is.. i am SUPER sugar-sensitive though!