Fruit Calories...... :(

Options
2»

Replies

• lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Fruit discourages me, too. But, I keep reminding myself that it's got lots of fiber and nutrients that are important.
  • Devil_Dawg
    Devil_Dawg Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't give up on fruit all together but I would may portion it to halves and slices.
  • Inebriated
    Inebriated Posts: 271
    Options
    I never feel like that. Fruit has more vitamins, fibre, nutrients, etc than cookies do.. And to me, it (fruit) is more satisfying. Most apples are only 50-100 calories, that's not bad at all imo considering two cookies is around 140+ calories.
  • 1Timothy4v8
    1Timothy4v8 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Thats why I consider fruit and veggies to be free cals, and I have lost all my extra weight before doing that,
  • Birdnicaj
    Birdnicaj Posts: 95
    Options
    I just had a cup of fresh pineapple dices...only 74 delicious, sweet, mouth watering and most importantly, filling and satisfying calories. A cookie can't beat that feeling. Maybe 5 cookies could, but then ... the calories!!!
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    banana is my thing, but I was told by someone that it was not good for weight loss but I do not know if that is so?
  • Byrdsong1920
    Byrdsong1920 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    A piece of fruit will keep you full much longer than a cookie. That is why you can easily eat a dozen cookies but try eating a dozen apples.

VALID!! Cookies sure are good though...lol!

I just try to remember that the things we put in our body is important. If we could turn ourselves inside/out...what would we look like? Important to feed ourselves healthy foods, so we have beautiful insides, to match our hot and beautiful outsides :) #jusayin
  • DesignGuy
    DesignGuy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I watch the news everyday waiting to hear a breaking news story about how someone somewhere became super overweight by eating nothing but fruits and vegetables.

Until then, I don't care what cals/etc they have.
  • shimmer_glo
    shimmer_glo Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I watch the news everyday waiting to hear a breaking news story about how someone somewhere became super overweight by eating nothing but fruits and vegetables.

Haha!!
  • sting5
    sting5 Posts: 408
    Options

Love this answer!! Thanks some much to everyone for your opinions on fruit. I have definitely changed my mindset with fruit calories. Seeing all the weight you all have lost and how healthy everyone is from fruit. THANKS
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    don't look at normal fruits either.. like oranges and clementines.. look at blueberries, strawberries, pears, and plums. The nutrients are awesome.
    I eat fruit every day. It's a matter of how much and when and with what to counter act the fruit sugars.

good luck
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I can not stand when an orange is 80-100 calories!! Not even to mention a pear or apple are more calories. Am I alone when I feel like I don't want to eat fruit because of the calories contentl. I think I would rather eat a cookie!!! Anyone agree with me?

You need to worry about the calories in that cookie than the calories in the fruit - which, I hasten to add, you have at wrong amounts.

a LARGE orange is 70 calories - I know this because I eat at least four per day.
    an apple is anything from 50 to 80 calories each
    a pear is around 100 calories

A cookie calorie, we'll choose a chocolate chip cookie just for this post is 50 calories for ONE.

For crying out loud, the amount of goodness in one piece of fruit to that one cookie doesn't even compare, in fact the cookie is nothing but empty calories that can make you crave more of the same.

Oranges release sugar slowly, a cookie will make your sugar levels spike.

No, I do not agree with you.
  • Di3012
    Options
    I don't think an average apple or pear has more than 100 calories. Also, try clementines. They're only about 35 calories and still have that orange flavor.

I love clementines..I didn't know they only have 35 calories. Thanks
    I realize that the nutrional value of fruit is different than sugar snacks, but I still hate to add those calories to my food log. Thanks to everyone for the great advice.

You wouldn't hesitate in adding those cookie calories to your log though?
  • Di3012
    Options
    banana is my thing, but I was told by someone that it was not good for weight loss but I do not know if that is so?

Bananas are around 100 calories each, they are great for a quick burst of energy. Athletes often eat those just before a run.
  • TeresaC79
    TeresaC79 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I don't think an average apple or pear has more than 100 calories. Also, try clementines. They're only about 35 calories and still have that orange flavor.

I love clementines..I didn't know they only have 35 calories. Thanks
    I realize that the nutrional value of fruit is different than sugar snacks, but I still hate to add those calories to my food log. Thanks to everyone for the great advice.

What would you prefer to see those calories logged as?

I would much rather seem them logged as fruits and veggies as opposed to chips or other junk. I can eat an apple for 100 calories or a small bag of chips for 340. I can eat three and a half bananas for the same calories as a small bag of chips. I'll feel MUCH more full on the three bananas.
  • PinkAndSparkle
    Options
    I talked to my nutritionist about this. She had noticed that I ate very little fruit when I gave her my food diary and I told her it was because I didn't want all the carbs and sugar. She told me that there are NUMEROUS studies around the benefits of eating multiple servings of fruit a day. Yes, they do have carbs and sugar, but it's essential for our health as active humans. Now I eat at least 1-2 servings, usually much more!
  • Buduke
    Buduke Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    yeah, that is really great!! I can't wait until I can report the first 100lbs gone. But that is a long way away yet. Scratch that. It is a ways off yet, but achievable, as you are proof twice over.