Finding it hard to know what I can and can't eat.

2»

Replies

• LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Aren't yeast technically animals?

No... yeast are fungi.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Also, vegetarian protein suggestions: Tofu, Tempeh, Seitan, Edamame beans, actually lots of beans, Greek yogurt, adding Nutritional yeast to eggs or sauteed veggies or popcorn.

Aren't yeast technically animals?

Ok I can't tell if this is a real question or snark, but the answer is no, yeast is not an animal or an animal by-product: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutritional_yeast
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,805 Member
    Let's play it off as snark. <_<
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member

:D

The obnoxious *kitten* (aka yeast) like to contaminate my cell culture media. I think they DO have a brain. I can see them plotting under the microscope. So that makes them kinda like animals. Only smarter.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member

:laugh: Done and done.
  • VictorW2
    VictorW2 Posts: 18
    I am amazed at all the insights on here about weight loss, eating correctly and exercise. Thanks for all your input !
  • Nopedotjpeg
    If it has a nutrition label, it usually isn't good.

Canned black beans, frozen vegetables, frozen fruit, frozen fish, meat, chicken, all oils, yogurts, cheeses, milk, etc. C'mon man.

EDIT: Ignore the meat/fish. Forgot this is a veg. thread. The rest still stands though.

haha those things are processed, the meats... aren't the best quality, and vegetables either. fresh is best.

EDIT: I don't know if you're srz or not. But agree to disagree with your nutritional label semantics.
  • Nopedotjpeg

Canned black beans, frozen vegetables, frozen fruit, frozen fish, meat, chicken, all oils, yogurts, cheeses, milk, etc. C'mon man.

EDIT: Ignore the meat/fish. Forgot this is a veg. thread. The rest still stands though.

haha those things are processed, the meats... aren't the best quality, and vegetables either. fresh is best.

EDIT: I don't know if you're srz or not. But agree to disagree with your nutritional label semantics.

When I eat food with nutritional labels, I start throwing up, they make me sick.

2iqzn0h.jpg
  • Nopedotjpeg

2iqzn0h.jpg

Whatever the hell that thing is, is happy, because it eats NATURAL FOOD NO NUTRITION LABEL ON WATERMELON.

It's frozen watermelon.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member

When I eat food with nutritional labels, I start throwing up, they make me sick.

Do you drink milk?
  • Sarauk2sf

Do you drink milk?

To answer your trick question correctly, not from a goats or cows udders, just milk from the store, in cartons/gallons.

Which have nutrition labels.....

sorry, just busting your *kitten*.
  • Adima
    Adima Posts: 2 Member
    You can eat whatever you like with only one magic easy proviso - as follows.
    I am male 52 years old 172cm height. In December 2011 I almost broke the 100kg barrier that is I got to 99.8Kg. When I saw that number I made a decision to do something about it. At about the same time I heard someone say that the weight loss equation is very simple and that all the dietry mumbo jumbo comes second. The equation is this .... Calories consumed should equal calories expended in any 24 hour period. That simple. Do that and you will maintain your current weight. Expend more calories in a 24 hour period than you consume and your weight WILL start reducing. The rate at which you reduce will depend on the difference between the calories you consume and what your 'maintain' weight calorie level is. Fitnesspal works this out easily for you. The GOOD NEWS is that you can eat WHATEVER YOU LIKE as long as you consume less calories than you expend.

The above is good as long as you do not go to extremes and eat a good normal range of foods and do not exessivley reduce you calorie intake. The best way to control the calories is to use Fitnesspal to get the hang of what foods add up to in calories (or KJ). Do this religiously for a number of months. After a while you won't need the counter you will have established a pattern of eating which you can easily continue. If you feel you are going off the rails start using the counter again and son on.

Now for Exercise.
    This serves primarily to keep you fit and helps with your strength. It has little value in terms of weight loss. The estimate is that exercise contribute 20% and calorie control contributes 80% to any weight loss regime. Using Fitnesspal you can log your exercise. This gives you 'credits' which are added to your daily permitted calorie consumption as calculated by Fitnesspal. DO NOT use these credit calories. In fact keep below your daily allowed calorie consumption as calculated by fitnesspal before the credits are added and you will be better off and well on your way to your goal weight.

Hope that helps. Good Luck!
  • Sarauk2sf
    You can eat whatever you like with only one magic easy proviso - as follows.
    I am male 52 years old 172cm height. In December 2011 I almost broke the 100kg barrier that is I got to 99.8Kg. When I saw that number I made a decision to do something about it. At about the same time I heard someone say that the weight loss equation is very simple and that all the dietry mumbo jumbo comes second. The equation is this .... Calories consumed should equal calories expended in any 24 hour period. That simple. Do that and you will maintain your current weight. Expend more calories in a 24 hour period than you consume and your weight WILL start reducing. The rate at which you reduce will depend on the difference between the calories you consume and what your 'maintain' weight calorie level is. Fitnesspal works this out easily for you. The GOOD NEWS is that you can eat WHATEVER YOU LIKE as long as you consume less calories than you expend.

The above is good as long as you do not go to extremes and eat a good normal range of foods and do not exessivley reduce you calorie intake. The best way to control the calories is to use Fitnesspal to get the hang of what foods add up to in calories (or KJ). Do this religiously for a number of months. After a while you won't need the counter you will have established a pattern of eating which you can easily continue. If you feel you are going off the rails start using the counter again and son on.

Now for Exercise.
    This serves primarily to keep you fit and helps with your strength. It has little value in terms of weight loss. The estimate is that exercise contribute 20% and calorie control contributes 80% to any weight loss regime. Using Fitnesspal you can log your exercise. This gives you 'credits' which are added to your daily permitted calorie consumption as calculated by Fitnesspal. DO NOT use these credit calories. In fact keep below your daily allowed calorie consumption as calculated by fitnesspal before the credits are added and you will be better off and well on your way to your goal weight.

Hope that helps. Good Luck!

You should not be eating whatever you like to lose weight in a HEALTHY way. And you should be trying to hit your target, not necessarily stay below your target. Also, how does she know her calories expended?
  • vmessyness
    vmessyness Posts: 49 Member
    add other vegetarians with open diaries (you can add me if you like :)

i like to follow some tried and true food blogs, they always inspire me to try new things.

also there are groups on MFP for folks like us:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/219-mfp-vegetarians
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/45-happy-herbivores
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    You should not be eating whatever you like to lose weight in a HEALTHY way. And you should be trying to hit your target, not necessarily stay below your target. Also, how does she know her calories expended?

I'm losing weight in a healthy way. I've turned myself from pre-diabetic to no blood sugar issues at all (which is quite a feat as someone with PCOS) I have perfect blood tests. I can run further then I ever could before. I can lift damn heavy weights. I'm healthy as an ox (though I am rethinking ever eating white bread. Had it for the first time in ages last night and was curled up in agony all night. That or the punch)

If you choose to eat clean all the time, good for you! Just know that not everyone wants or needs to do that. Going from obese to 'normal' weight is going to improve your health significantly. Even if you don't exercise or eat clean (though I definitly encourage exercise for health) There are no known benefits to eating clean over 'processed' foods as one can't even guarantee that eating organic or 'clean' that what you're eating hasn't already been subjected to herbicides or other chemicals beforehand.
  • Sarauk2sf

I'm losing weight in a healthy way. I've turned myself from pre-diabetic to no blood sugar issues at all (which is quite a feat as someone with PCOS) I have perfect blood tests. I can run further then I ever could before. I can lift damn heavy weights. I'm healthy as an ox (though I am rethinking ever eating white bread. Had it for the first time in ages last night and was curled up in agony all night. That or the punch)

If you choose to eat clean all the time, good for you! Just know that not everyone wants or needs to do that. Going from obese to 'normal' weight is going to improve your health significantly. Even if you don't exercise or eat clean (though I definitly encourage exercise for health) There are no known benefits to eating clean over 'processed' foods as one can't even guarantee that eating organic or 'clean' that what you're eating hasn't already been subjected to herbicides or other chemicals beforehand.

I get that - and I did not say 'eat clean' or even mention organic food and did not say to stay way from processed foods - I in no way do that myself. I just do not think it is a good idea to say 'eat what you want' in caps when giving advice. You can get your calories through donuts and you will lose weight, but it is not advisable as you still need to get approprite micronutrients.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    What store you buy those donuts at??

Every grocery store I've ever been to has a donut case like this...

I also really can't tell if you're being serious with this or you're completely drunk.