Shift workers... I'm 2nd shift worker

Options
Hi Does anyone else have a hard time being on a odd shift and not able to eat at regular times or a full meal? I work 3:30pm- midnight. i have a hard time eating breakfast in the morning and usally end up eating brunch. so i been low on my counts.

Replies

• karyngrace
    karyngrace Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    hi dee!!

I work very similar hours to you (2pm till 11pm) I never used to eat breakfast either, so i started having a protein shake or a smoothie in the mornings, so your not technically eating as such but still getting the calories and good stuff your body needs.

I would fluctuate with my calories, some nights id come home and binge and others i would hardly eat at all!!! having my shake in the mornings helped me to "even out". I usually eat about 5 small to medium sized meals a day and drink a heap of water. its hard, but definitely doable!

feel free to add me by the way :)
  • ChelSleeve
    ChelSleeve Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I used to work 7pm to 3am and now I'm 3pm to 11pm.. so I know what you mean.. I can't normally wind down until 3am so I don't get up until about noon.. I have a protien shake around 3p so I don't munch away at work for the first half(ish) of my shift and eat my dinner at around 7 and have another shake around midnight if I'm hungry.. what helps with that shift is if you change your meal names to hours.. (I use 4 hours and it takes up all the spaces) that's how I found my problem times of when I tend to snack a lot..
  • BrettMacaw
    Options
    I work 3am to 11am so breakfast isn't a problem. My eating is rather jumbled, I may have turkey at 5am. Its all about adjusting to the timetable for me. I also eat several small meals a day and hydrate like crazy. What has worked wonderfully is consistent exercise, which does get tough for a night owl like me.
  • holdondreamaway
    Options
    Yes! I go in between 11am/4:30pm and end between 6:30pm/8:30pm. My shift has the possibility of covering all of my mealtimes with only tens and halfs to space out food that will allow me to keep moving. Said food can only be what I've brought with me while running out the door. To top it off my night owl boyfriend does the cooking and doesn't get hungry for dinner until ten, yet gets hurt if I don't wait for him. I'm still struggling with it. The solution as far as I can tell is pack a meal and snacks the night before. Anyone else have better ones?