Need a HRM: Advice Please!

Options
Hello all,

Plan on investing in an HRM which do you reccomend?

Importance: price (cheapest) then accuracy :-)

This may seem like a dumb question but I don't know much about them and haven't bothered to look it up but do all HRM tell you how many calories you burned? I was under the impression that they all do as that is what I want to use this for.

Replies

• sweetpea7441
    sweetpea7441 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Hope someone replies! I posted the same question this week and am still waiting for a reply. :-) Otherwise I will check pick one that 'seems' right. :-)
  • NancyMarie13
    NancyMarie13 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I sure hope so too lol if not I'll bump later when people are awake :-)
  • PHLLLY
    PHLLLY Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I have a Timex Ironman. I use it so that I can run at certain levels for each of my training exercises. But, don't rely on the accuracy of calories burned. It's really only good for telling you your heart rate. Reason being is that the watch has a formula to calculate the HR to turn into calories burned. Different exercises such as running, step, weight lifting, HIIT, etc. all burn different amount of calories. That being said, I am unsure what exercises the HRM is meant for (most likely running). We recruit different muscles when we run compared to weight lifting. Some people can walk/run at the same HR as if they were lifting weights. We know that running generally burns more calories than weight lifting minute for minute. What your HRM doesn't know what type of exercise it's doing. It doesn't know how much weight you're holding, how much effort you're putting out, and other factors that can raise or lower your heart rate. Don't want to discourage you, but I don't want you guys relying on it! My HRM today said I burnt about 1300 calories, when in reality I probably only burned 600.
  • paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4 low to mid range and an excellent HRM :bigsmile:
  • jleslie66
    jleslie66 Posts: 31
    Options
    i use a sportline duo 1010 it does everything up to and including grams of fat burned! go ebay you get good deals! I got mine for $23 including shipping!!
  • Lukasmum1
    Lukasmum1 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have a Beurer PM45. Great HRM for an amateur / beginner like me.
    You input height, weight, gender, etc.
    It presets your lo, 'in' zone and hi heart rate training zones.
    Watch style, with chest strap.
    Easy to use.

Records calories burned, as well as grams of fat burned. Also time spent within each heart rate zone while exercising, and average heart rate.
  • christinerush
    Options
    Hi I have a Polar FT4 and love it! I paid $129 AU but they are cheaper online! It does tell you how many calories you are burning and havent had a problem with mine!
  • sweetpea7441
    sweetpea7441 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Great thanks. Will start shopping for one. :-)
  • NancyMarie13
    NancyMarie13 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Awesome advice *everyone, thanks for the input :-)
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I had a polar ft4. I say had because I just recently sold it.

It was a fantastic product. did exactly what it was meant to. tell me how many calories I was burning during exercise. Why did I sell it. Well I'm doing a fair bit of running, and the gps feature on my phone is crap. I'm also noticing that the nike + is not 100% accurate regarding distance. So I've just purchased the garmin 405cx which is a hrm + gps. It also has other features which will help me for my running.

So if you are looking for something just to track how many calories you are burning during exercise, then go with something like the polar ft4.

If you are wanting other features, like a virtual trainer, or interval timer, which will help improve your fitness then you'll have to look at the other models/brands, but it means you would have to spend more money.
  • Hev_uk
    Hev_uk Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Look on ebay. I got a polar F4 which works perfectly for £26, normal price £50. It's awesome. Just make sure you get one that still has battery because I've seen some sold without and it's a pain to change it
  • klbaierwalter
    klbaierwalter Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I have a Timex Ironman Roadmaster. I love it! I don't mind the chest strap, once you get used to it (2 days or so) you don't even realize its there. I would highly recommend it!