Work relationships

Options
What's your opinion?

Replies

• hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Well mine turned out like **** and now I have to see him nearly every day.

Awwwwwwkward.
  • bigswedeman
    bigswedeman Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Don't **** where you eat.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    My fiance and I work together at my main job. He's manager of a small team - I'm a member of that team.

We were best friends for a few years before we got into a relationship. I got him his job at the company back when we were just friends, but living together. My Managing Director asked if I could assure him we were just friends, because work relationships didn't work. I honestly assured him that it was just friendship. Four months later, we ended up in a relationship, and another two years on we got engaged.

It works fantastically for us. At work, we don't treat our life as though we're a couple. It's purely business, and I'm not being biased to say that he's a great manager. The only downside is that working and living together seems to have made us into one entity in the eyes of others. He speaks for me a lot anyway, which I'm trying to discourage in certain situations, but he gets asked a lot of questions about both of us/me. Additionally, he had some time working in our other office last month, and the Finance Director sent my payslip there because he saw my fiance there.
  • Natx83
    Natx83 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    Don't do it. I broke up with a girl she filed sexual harassment against me. She got foiled and got sacked. Win win for me, always something you can deal without
  • bluemorpho1247
    bluemorpho1247 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Met my bf at work, (both made redundant) now hes in a high paid job and were really happy! It can turn out great :)
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I work nights now but in the past when I worked days I've had crushes but I never persued. I think it's better to avoid. However some people have had good experiences.
  • Snow__White
    Snow__White Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    bad idea
  • Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    generally not worth it, i would say.

work relationships are really common in my field (wildlife ecology - it's a shared passion thing). i dated one of the guys from my lab for about a year, but there were certain agreements in the relationship, ie. we had to break it off before it got bad, etc.

he ended up breaking up with me to run off to south america to find a wife. he was... silly. he's back still in the lab, and we're actually still good friends. but things got a tiny bit awkward when he decided to start dating the new girl in the lab. i ended up having to organise having coffee with them both so that she would understand i was not at all interested in him and not a threat, and am in fact someone that can help her with work if she needs it.

if you are prepared to handle that sort of thing, it is not a problem, but even for the most open-minded person it can end up taking up lot thought.

*edit: i should add that even though we broke up my experience was completely worth it.
  • bigswedeman
    bigswedeman Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Ya, while things are good, it will be fine.

Sad fact is that most relationships fail.... That's where things can go bad...
  • DavidOfOz
    DavidOfOz Posts: 225
    Options
    As someone who is sadly very experienced in this area, I would say that sometimes you just cant help it! Its very easy to say its a bad thing, but when you are in the situation, very hard to say no!
  • Orient_Charm
    Orient_Charm Posts: 385 Member
    Options

Wise man, what he said.
  • sm0113
    sm0113 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    My parents have worked for the same company for a really long time, and it sucks. Not only for me and my sisters, but for them, too. I remember when I was growing up that they would come home and fight and argue about things that go on at work, and it still happens. It's almost as if they never leave work. From this experience, I never want to work with my boyfriend or future husband. Not only because of my parents but because my boyfriend would always complain that his mom and brother did the same thing (came home and talked about work constantly).
    I'm sure it can work for some people, but I'm not taking the chance.
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    first work relationship was physical.
    we were on the same level (he wasnt a manager or anything above me etc)
    ended kinda rough, but only because i didnt want to be done being rough haha.
    no hurt feelings because we were open about what we wanted out of it in the first place. surprisingly hes the only 'ex' that i still talk to every few weeks. we are still good pals. no jealously between me and his girlfriends. infact its kinda empowering, it was a great rebound.

2nd work relationship turned out amaazingg. was really awkward while working together though, high stress job that required constant cooperation and comunication. we now live together and we both have different jobs. as an above poster said its easier said then done. i wasnt looking to date anyone i worked with, but being around them all the time just made it harder to resist. i liked working with my boyfriend, but i like our space too :]
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Don't do it. I broke up with a girl she filed sexual harassment against me. She got foiled and got sacked. Win win for me, always something you can deal without

haha i guess i shoulda though of that before. i was 18 and that illegal where i live :p lololol
    snatchin the jail bait
  • SexyCook
    SexyCook Posts: 2,253 Member
    Options
    I work with my Ex....and funny thing is that he started working here while we were dated...last a yr or so...but didn't last.....I think it can work we had issue much more than involving work....BUT HEY great seeing the look now when I pass...If eyes could kill I would be dead from the staring !!! :laugh: :laugh:
  • Darkskinned88
    Darkskinned88 Posts: 1,177 Member
    Options
    i have a few flirtationships at work, it makes the time go by and its another reason to get up and go to work in the morning.
  • trijohnny
    trijohnny Posts: 15
    Options
    Not to much to worry about at my work, I'd hate to feel wierd every morning walking into the office.
  • mbajrami
    mbajrami Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you'll have opinions both ways. In my experience, it's a BIG no-no.

I mean, unless you like seeing your ex-husband and his new wife/your ex best friend every day.

Ask me how I like it.

p.s. I don't.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options

Wise man, what he said.

I agree with these 2 - how ever I do work with a couple who are now married with a baby on the way - although I don't think they are the epitome of a great relationship.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Well mine turned out like **** and now I have to see him nearly every day.

Awwwwwwkward.

Wow looks like you have written my own experience because I can totally relate you you. Office relationships suck!