Yaz & Gall Bladder Failure

Options
AwMyLoLo
AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
I heard the tail end of a commercial about a law suit for anyone that has taken the birth control Yaz and had gall bladder failure. Does anyone know anything about this?

Replies

• tubbytabbytales
    Options
    I heard the tail end of a commercial about a law suit for anyone that has taken the birth control Yaz and had gall bladder failure. Does anyone know anything about this?

I heard a commercial about heart attacks!!! I stopped taking it the SECOND I heard that.
  • SaraAnne
    Options
    Are these just the 1 in a million type of lawsuits or are a lot of people taking yaz having these problems...

I take it and haven't heard of either of those things!! Now I'm definitely concerned though... :(
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options
    Well I know with all birth control there are side effects and risks. I believe most of them "could put you at an increased risk for stroke, heart attack, etc..." But I actually did take Yaz for probably 6 months starting August of 2006, and my gall bladder went BAD and had to be removed in Dec. 07.
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options
    Yeah, I havent looked into it much, I just heard the commercial, wondered if anyone else had some information.
  • Gogo
    Gogo Posts: 9,942 Member
    Options
    IDK about those commercials, but I took Yaz for three months and it made me so depressed that I cried every day for almost the whole three months!!:sad: I stopped taking it and I was a totally different person within one week. My husband didn't believe that it was the pills until I quit taking them. As far as I am concerned they are bad news.
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options
    IDK about those commercials, but I took Yaz for three months and it made me so depressed that I cried every day for almost the whole three months!!:sad: I stopped taking it and I was a totally different person within one week. My husband didn't believe that it was the pills until I quit taking them. As far as I am concerned they are bad news.

That's interesting... I thought Yaz was like, the lower-hormone version of Yasmine...? Are you taking any kind of BC now (if you don't mind me asking)? I am on the generic form of Yasmine... wonder if I need to do some research on that too!?
  • savanahspring
    Options
    I take them and haven't heard anything, but then again we don't have t.v., so I never see commercial. I just hear what is on Google news...But both of my parents are pharmacists, so I probably won't be worried until they tell me I should stop taking them. By the way, I have been taking them for over and just had a check-up, that came out perfect.
  • agarlits
    agarlits Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Wow, my fiance takes that stuff....
  • m2kjenn
    m2kjenn Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    I have taken Yaz for a few years. Haven't had any problems with it, but am beginning to look at alternative forms. I've heard of a hormone free IUD (Paraguard) has anyone had experience with that?
  • Gogo
    Gogo Posts: 9,942 Member
    Options

That's interesting... I thought Yaz was like, the lower-hormone version of Yasmine...? Are you taking any kind of BC now (if you don't mind me asking)? I am on the generic form of Yasmine... wonder if I need to do some research on that too!?

I am not on any BC right now, but I am looking into a hormone free IUD called Paraguard. I just don't think I want all the headaches of hormones being pumped into my body anymore.
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    hmmm, i take yaz. i plan on a visit to the doc this month - i suppose i will be asking him about it!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    God, I've heard nothing but bad stuff about Yaz / Yasmin.

http://www.yazsideeffectslawsuit.com/

"Serious side effects of Yaz including blood clots, stroke, and heart attack along with gall bladder disease and pancreatitis have been linked with women using the birth control."
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options
    God, I've heard nothing but bad stuff about Yaz / Yasmin.

http://www.yazsideeffectslawsuit.com/

"Serious side effects of Yaz including blood clots, stroke, and heart attack along with gall bladder disease and pancreatitis have been linked with women using the birth control."

I've actually had no other issues with the birth control until I heard this. In fact, I've said on several occasions, "I really like my birth control. I am very regular, no acne, and my periods are easier."

Am I right that all birth controls (pills) increase the risk of blood clots, stroke and heart attack...... women who take the birth control pill should not smoke, as it may increase the risk... I've heard that a time or two.

Either way, I am going to contact my doctor for my records to indicate when I started taking Yaz and then Yasmine, and I may look into reporting my case.
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options
    So has anyone ever filed one of these types of claims? Like, I hear this on the radio, google it, find a site that says they will represent me and not get paid unless I get paid...... How do I know they won't screw me over? I'm just so apprehensive about lawyers and legal crap. Should I just forget about the fact that my gall bladder completely went to crap and had to be removed coincidentally after being on this type of birth control? What should I do?!?!
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    Yeah, if you "google" different forms of BC you'll see all of the terrifying side effects and stories from people who went through them. One of my custoemrs who was on NuvaRing (which I was on at the time) developed a blood clot that caused her stroke and left her in a coma - 18 years old. I stopped taking it that day. It made me a lunatic anyway :noway: I think it's like with any medicine, some people can take it for years with no problem and then others can take it for a day & almost die bc they are that 1 in 999 person that is affected. Be careful & good luck!
  • argburr
    Options
    I was told by my gynocologist that these law suits are just a scam... you contact them and pay the initial fee to and then they dissapear and never help you... I've been taking yaz for almost 3 years and I've never had any problems with it. I know that all birth controls heighten risks of blood clots --> to stroke, but it's very rare and they always say at the end of the commercials that if you are over the age of 35 and are a smoker that your risk is a lot higher. I talked to my gynocologist and he said he stands by the product, it's great as a birth control, but also for shortening periods and relieveing cramps. My periods used to be so bad that I couldn't get out of bed for the first two days and then for the next two i'd walk around in a daze. It made my skin clear up right away too!! I stopped taking it to do some research to make sure the product is safe. I've called a few pharmacies and they also say that the product is safe. So I think i'm going to start taking it again... after almost three years and no problems + the assurance of medical professionals that the product is safe... i think it's fine.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Sometimes people will form a group in a civil suit. While all birth controls pose a health risk, in cases like these where the risk is misrepresented as being minor and an unusual number of people are stricken with severe side-effects, those affected can collect a (usually small) sum of money from the lawsuit. Whenever a drug is tested, ALL possible side effects from the group are listed as side effects of the drug. So if a test subject gets a headache one day, they have to list headaches as a possible side effect, even if that person just got a regular old headache unrelated to the drug. Generally side effects are really rare, especially the serious ones. Even OTC painkillers have serious side-effects.