Shin Splints

Options
I am about to start a C25K program but I am concerned because I get very painful shin splints when I try walking faster let alone running. I don't even know what causes them and have no idea how to make them go away. Any advice on getting rid of them would be greatly appreciated as I really want to run!

Replies

• pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    See your doctor about getting into see a physical therapist. In my case, I needed to do strength training on my calves and the muscles around my ankles. In addition, I was heel-striking which worsened the problem. Six months of PT plus a change in my stride and I haven't had the problem since.
  • creature275
    creature275 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    when I was younger and started running I got them all the time, over time your shins will get stronger and more resiliant but right off the bat you can stretch more (and yes you can stretch you shins just google it I prefer buddy assisted shin stretches) but for a lot of people its because their shoes are all worn out or theyre wearing poor quality running shoes for the amount of running theyre doing, so look into a decent pair of running shoes, personally I prefer Asics
  • cestevam
    cestevam Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I get shin splint as well, and they are very painful. What happens to me is when I haven't run/powerwalked in awhile, they come back. Once you go out a few times, it should get less and less painful. Unfortunately, I've found that the only way to get rid of that pain is to just push through it in the beginning. Take a couple aspirin beforehand and see if that helps you get through it. Good luck!
  • AmandaPandah
    AmandaPandah Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I get them too. Dead annoying. I bought new running shoes though, hope that'll help!
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    These have saved me: http://www.zensah.com/shin-sleeve.html

Also, very good calf/achilles stretching and strengthening (leg raises, etc).

Ibuprofen and ice after running.
  • TeresaC79
    TeresaC79 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I found it took my legs some time to get used to the extra stress on my legs from running. As the extra weight came off, the pain subsided completely.

Ice ice ice and slow down to a manageable pace until you can run without pain.
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Compression socks!!! Love 'em! I got them because I was ramping up pretty quickly (from walking 2 miles to running 5 in 3 weeks) and I wanted to prevent shin splints:

http://www.amazon.com/CEP-Running-Womens-Sportsocks-12-5-15/dp/B002U37Q5W/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1335704364&sr=8-3
  • Fit4Evolution
    Fit4Evolution Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    shin splits , you need to stretch out your muscles like your calfs and tibialis which is where the shin split pain comes from
    to stretch the tibialis you need to point your toes so what you want to do is put one foot a stride ahead of youkeeping your foot flat lower your other leg down stretching out your tibialis , you can also grab your foot from behind you and pull the top toward your head upward. for your calf use a curb stand on the ball of your foot and lower to a stretch. look some more up and do calf raises before you run 10min before .. 30-50 reps then relax ran 10 min later
  • freyaandcorysmum
    Options
    I posted about this yest....some one sent me a link for stretching exercises and those are helping already. Burn like hell but takes the pain away afterwards.

Basically stand on bottom step with only ur heel actually on it and point ur toe down...then raise it back up.....do this for 30 sec and then repeat with ur knees bent for 30 secs. Do this 3 times a day xx
  • AmandaPandah
    AmandaPandah Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I've also read that it might have something to do with a lack of magnesium?
  • myjourney2
    myjourney2 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Also make sure you have good support in your running shoes.
  • cmpoole2k
    cmpoole2k Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Be sure you have appropriate shoes with arch support right for you. I thought my shin splints, ankle pain and knee pain were just par for the course in building up my running. Now, four years later, I am down for a few months and nursing an injury. I have flat feet and did not have appropriate arch supports. I now have custom orthodics and on the mend, but will have to wear an ankle brace for quite some time, if not forever when running. I could have avoided all of this with appropriate running shoes to begin with.
  • Benson19
    Benson19 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Shin Splints is just a general term used pain in that area. If your young and go to the doctor about it they just say it is growing pain but that isn't really the case. When I was young I got them very bad after soccer games. Now since I've gone to school and learned a lot about muscles. I learned the pain is caused by the muscle and tissue on the shin pulling up on the bone. Eventually the nerves and tissue in the area can't take the stress anymore, then pain.

SO TO HELP! stretch beforehand, afterwards ice for 15-20 mins to help settle the nerves. Compress and hold tibialis anterior (muscle along shin). If your going to massage it ,massage towards to shin bone. Don't! pull away because that is what is causing the pain already so don't add to it. Do the opposite. Eventually your body deals with stress better. :)