Attempting Dukan after huge plateau

Options
Hiya Peeps

I am at the point where weight isnt coming off so I've been advised to give the Dukan ago in a bid to kick start my metabolism.
I spent 15 years on + with an ED, have been in recovery and doing well for 5 years. Last year I managed to give up smoking and wow weeee the weight came marching in really quick.
I joined a gym and lost about 6lb since Jan 2012 with little change to my diet tbh. I have huge muscle mass in legs and arms as I have always lifted heavy.
BUT I had no idea just how hard it was going to be to lose the next 14lb. I am really at my witts end and desperate to make this weight come off the right way, which goes against all of my instincts after having the ED (bullemia) for years.
I have been shopping and for 3 days I am in Ninja style attack mode with Protein only. I've got fish chicken and more fish and more chicken oh yh I got a natural yougurt virtually carb free :-)
Then in the cruise clean food mode for 60 days.
I am currently 11st and would like to be 10st min by July 2012 13weeks until I go on a pre wedding tour of Aruba :-)
Does anyone have any advise for me please?

Replies

• love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I think Dukan and E.Ds are not good for one another. I really would advise against it.
  • bunnygirl1978
    bunnygirl1978 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I guess you can say that any "diet" or weight loss regieme os bad for people with ED's

I've been recovered for over 5 Years now ... and now over weight ..... MY ED days are behind me

Just after any advise from anyone who has done the Dukan diet before?
    OR anyone who would like to have ago whilst I do it?
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    I tried and lasted about 2 days before I got bored of protein and nothing else. I've finally learned that specific diets just don't work for me. If it's what you want to do, make sure you find some variety to what you eat.
  • bunnygirl1978
    Options
    make sure you find some variety to what you eat.

Thanks hopefully I can cope with this for 3 days tbh I eat pretty clean so phase 2 should be ok.
    Finances play a large part for me with a family, so I have stuck to foods that I can only afford rather than what I want.
  • getskinnyby25
    getskinnyby25 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I love the dukan diet! It really changes your body chemistry and makes you stop craving the bad things! My advice is to make sure you drink lots of water and take in the recommended oat bran everyday. I started to plateau after I had stopped taking the oat bran daily.I have also suffered from an ED so I really like having the limitations in this diet, because you never feel guilty and I was never triggered to go back
  • bunnygirl1978
    Options
    Thanks for that advise.
    Its nice to read like minded views other people with thier know it all blarb
  • sandralila
    sandralila Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I did the dukan diet online. Total waste of my money, would not reccomend it to anyone.
  • bunnygirl1978
    Options
    I am really amazed at the amount of foods that I have found in the supermarket that are rich in protien and low in carbs that I really like. Shame that they are so expensive, but its a small price to pay as I am runnning out of ideas and losing my weight loss battle.

So far so good :-)
  • dimarston
    dimarston Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've been on the Dukan diet for about 10 months now. Lost 65 lbs in 5 months on the attack and cruise stages. I've continued to loose while on the consolitdation stage. I really like this diet and it has worked very well for me. It may not be for everybody, but I think its worth a try.
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I tried it and just felt so sick, gave up after 5 days. No more fads for me.
    As a less radical approach, you could reset your macros to be fairly low carb and high protein, thats what I've done as being an endomorph I do respond well to low carb diets. So i eat some carbs but not much and only mainly at breakfast. Also eating smaller meals more frequently. Here's a good link from bodybuilding.com

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bodytype_nutrition_guide.htm

I found Dukan way too extreme I just didn't feel well eating htat way, its maybe ok when you aren't exercising but if you like to work out you need some carbs.

Carb cycling I have tried and it definitely gives results, only do it for 3 weeks - eat low carb three days nad then high carb one day. Once again a bit less extreme than cutting out carbs altogether.
  • mrs_kurz
    mrs_kurz Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I agree it may not be for everyone, but it's worked for me. I've lost 34lbs on Dukan in about 4 months and am now on the "consolidation" phadse, and i'm focussing on toning up a litt.e I'd say give it a go and see if it works for you, if it does i think it's good as it is very simple
  • bunnygirl1978
    Options
    Thanks guys
    Does anyone know where I can get oatmeal from, I have no idea what it is?
  • bunnygirl1978
    Options
    I cant find oatmeal in tesco sainburys and waitrose, but found it on amazon ... unless anyone knows of an alternative???7

Day1 = It was easier than I thought and wow all that protein has made me feel great :-)
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I cant find oatmeal in tesco sainburys and waitrose, but found it on amazon ... unless anyone knows of an alternative???7

Day1 = It was easier than I thought and wow all that protein has made me feel great :-)

You can buy big bags of porridge oats (which is oatmeal basically) in all of those shops.
  • bunnygirl1978
    Options

You can buy big bags of porridge oats (which is oatmeal basically) in all of those shops.

Thanks thats great, someone told me it wasnt the same thing so I have been searching and searching.
    :-)
  • mrs_kurz
    mrs_kurz Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    no no no!!! Not oatmeal!!! Dukan specifies oat BRAN. i buy mornflake 100% oat bran. It's essential it isn't oat meal!!! The mornflake comes in an orange tube.
  • mamaro76
    mamaro76 Posts: 10
    Options
    Good to see some Dukan Dieters! Sheesh. I thought I was the only one. None replied to my intro! Is there a group in the group forum for Dukan?

Also, Red Mill sells Oat Bran. Not sure where you are, but AMAZON sells it as well.
  • ImaSongbird
    ImaSongbird Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    If you can't find it in stores near you: http://www.shopdukandiet.com/oat-bran/oat-bran
  • bunnygirl1978
    Options
    Just thought I'd let you know how my 1st week went.
    BLoody hard!!!
    Its been a challenge and I think I am in teh swing of it now.
    The scales told me that my hard work is paying off 6lb off in 8days is really great.