The ice cream that made me angry

Options
Last night I had some calories left at the end of the day, so I decided to treat myself to a ice cream cone at mcdonald's. I know I could have made healthier choices, but I had it factored into my calories and I figure if I deprive myself of things I'm only going to want them more and not be able to sustain my new eating patterns.

So I went to mcdonalds and ordered a cone. It was going to be 230 calories, which I was perfectly ok with. I got my cone and headed out to the car where my boyfriend was waiting for me. As we were driving out the highway towards home, I realized I had not be talking at all. I started to laugh and then tell my boyfriend about the dialogue that was going on in my head.

I was sooooo angry. The mcdonalds worker had made my cone HUGE. There was way too much ice cream on it and I was angry because she probably thought she was doing me some kind of favour over feeding me. I was angry because I ordered 230 calories worth of ice cream and that's what I wanted. I started to rant on about how society is set up to make people fat and even when you're trying to portion your food you can't even eat out because they don't follow their own guidelines. Why does everyone think more is better when it comes to food? I proceeded to rant on like this the 15 minute drive home.

Am I crazy? I think I'm going to buy some ice cream and keep it in the freezer so I can control the portion myself.

Replies

• binabodu
    binabodu Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Wait....230? The nutritional info says a McD's cone is 150 calories.

That's our society. Too much of everything. I remember I used to feel good about myself if I ate less than all of the HUGE a++ portion that I was served. I do get the McD's cones still though and log them at 150.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    You're not crazy. People want more bang for their buck which is why super size is only $.25 more. When I go out to eat, I eat only half.
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Way back in the day...I used to work there. It is hard to make the them the exact size they are supposed to be.

I think you have the option to not eat all of it!
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I think you'd be really angry if you knew nearly everything you eat has more calories than you think it does.
    Weight those nice single or double serving prepackaged foods, they probably weigh more than the serving size.

I too buy ice cream to keep in the fridge. Even if I eat the entire container (the pint size ones) it still comes in to less than or equal to what I'd get if I got a shake or something at Dairy Queen.
  • xarla16
    xarla16 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Haha I could have not eaten the whole cone, I know....but then I wouldn't have had the whole cone experience.
  • xarla16
    xarla16 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Wait....230? The nutritional info says a McD's cone is 150 calories.

That's our society. Too much of everything. I remember I used to feel good about myself if I ate less than all of the HUGE a++ portion that I was served. I do get the McD's cones still though and log them at 150.

Probably different countries. Mine is Canadian.
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Well... you probably can't change society by getting angry, but I get your point. That said, McDonald's does have spoons... next time, just lop some of the extra calories off into the trash and go on, anger free. Be happy that you found a solution that's right for you, rather getting than angry at the masses. There are lots of things in society that are harmful in the long run. It's those that learn to navigate creatively that succeed in the end. Just my opinion at the moment. There are days when I would have gotten just as angry as you!

All the best,
    Jen

Edited to correct grammar.
  • EuroReady
    EuroReady Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Poor girl can't win. If she puts too little, people complain. If she puts too much, people complain. Just scrape some off of the top, and eat the rest-- the experience will still be entact.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Haha I could have not eaten the whole cone, I know....but then I wouldn't have had the whole cone experience.
    You could have knocked some off the top and then you could still have eaten the cone.

I don't see how you think you had a good experience anyway. You were so angry you ranted about it for 15 minutes instead of enjoying your ice cream. You might as well have thrown it out.

Yes, that is flipping crazy.
  • lmvince
    lmvince Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Well... you probably can't change society by getting angry, but I get your point. That said, McDonald's does have spoons... next time, just lop some of the extra calories off into the trash and go on, anger free. Be happy that you found a solution that's right for you, rather getting than angry at the masses. There are lots of things in society that are harmful in the long run. It's those that learn to navigate creatively that succeed in the end.

Yeah I agree! Or just go for an evening stroll with your boyfriend to burn the "extra" calories. Buying your own ice cream to keep at home may cause you to eat....even when you don't have extra calories.
  • MoreThanMommie
    MoreThanMommie Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I often get a vanilla cone at Sonic and have wondered how accurate the calorie count is. I believe the website says they're 250 for the cone and 240 for the dish? They've never been the same size, even when I order two at the same time. LOL, I don't eat both! One is for my son. So, I just make sure before going that I have a calorie cushion in case it end up being more.

Sorry this made you angry. I do truly feel they think they're doing you some favor by giving you more for your money. *Shrug*
  • RikanSoulja
    RikanSoulja Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Your mad because the person at McDonalds hooked you up? Really? Next time just skim some off the top or something. They were probably being nice.
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean...and it's an awful feeling..

I keep skinny cow bars and ice cream in my freezer...and it's yummy and I control it!
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    We don't have to "clean our plates" or finish our ice cream cones.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    It's been my experience that the employees just let it go until whenever, they're not looking to cheat or gorge you. It's an eyeballing measurement situation and I haven't been in any fast food place anywhere (and I've been to about a dozen states and Canada) where the employees give that much of a rat's *kitten* to be any degree of accurate with stuff like that. Same with the fries, you never know when the fry box will be spilling over or just barely full.
  • stephenatl09
    stephenatl09 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    You should be mad but mad at yourself for even turning into Mickey D's parking lot. LOL !!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    We don't have to "clean our plates" or finish our ice cream cones.
    We're very fortunate.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Why does everyone think more is better when it comes to food?
    Yes, that's a really stupid attitude.

Far better to have a small quantity of something that's truly delicious, but no, society says that for food to be "good" the portions have to be big.

I make my own ice cream, might be worth your thinking about. That way you can have wonderfully rich ones to just have a spoonful of occasionally or frozen yoghurt types to eat a bit more of. I made a gorgeous sorbet the other day out of just orange juice and nothing else, give it a shot. :smile:
  • mariobadr
    mariobadr Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I worked at a McDonald's in my youth. They don't train half the employees on how to make a proper cone, most of them just eyeball it. When I finally did receive training on how to make an ice cream cone, I was like "That's it?!" But yeah, the person serving you isn't your arch enemy :P
  • Sonnie124
    Sonnie124 Posts: 99
    Options
    Of course you ate the whole thing. Shame on YOU