Replies

• sherrybumgarner
    sherrybumgarner Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    CORNBREAD

1/2 C Yellow Corn Meal
    1/2 C All Purpose Flour
    1 T Baking Powder
    1 T Sugar (never use Splenda but suppose you could)
    1/2 t. salt
    1 egg
    2 t. veg. or canola oil
    1/2 C Low Fat 1% Buttermilk

Combine dry ingredients. Beat egg lightly with oil, buttermilk and add to dry ingredients. If the batter is too thick add enough water to make it the way you want it, maybe 1/8 to 1/4 C. You want it thick not runny but not so thick you can't get it into the muffin tin. Spray a 6 muffin tin with Pam and spoon batter evenly into it. Makes 6 good size muffins at 123 calories, 3 grams fat, 4 grams protein, 42 carbs. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    1 T Sugar (never use Splenda but suppose you could)
    Or you could just leave out the sweetener altogether, because that's cornbread isn't supposed to be sweet.
  • sherrybumgarner
    sherrybumgarner Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    That's the way I've always made Cornbread, it's a southern thing I guess. Leave it out if you would prefer.
  • hlwolfe72
    hlwolfe72 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Southern Skillet Cornbread:

2 T all-purpose flour
    14 T cornmeal
    3 eggs
    2 T olive oil
    about 2 c low-fat milk (I use 1%)

Preheat oven to 350. Put oil in a cast-iron skillet (about 8") and put in oven. Combine flour and corn meal in a mixing bowl. Add eggs and 1 c milk. Mix well, slowly adding more milk until desired consistency. Remove oil from oven and pour 1/2 the oil into your mixture, mix well and pour your mixture into the skillet. Cook for 30-45 minutes until golden on top!

Hope this helps:happy:
  • cherylaclark
    cherylaclark Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    bump
  • redtalent
    redtalent Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    *bump*
  • raindancer
    raindancer Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    You can leave out he sugar and oil. Then use unsweetened applesauce instead.