Useful Exercises For Arms?

Options
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to tone up your arms when you're not particularly strong enough to lift heavy weights? My upper arm strength isn't all that great. I'm particularly looking to get rid of the bingo wings.

Any tips would be much appreciated :)

Kay

Replies

• healthyfoxx
    healthyfoxx Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Good old fashioned push-ups work wonders. If you can't do full push ups yet, do wall-ups or counter-top ups until you can do a real push up on the floor.

I made a rule that every time I go past a certain spot in my house, I had to do 10 wall-ups. By the end of the day, I was pretty sore! I upped it to 20 a time after a while, and now I am sooo close to doing a real push up (kind of sad, I know, but it is progress!).
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    'Heavy' is relative and is based on what is challenging for you. :-). There are several great programs out there that can help you choose the appropriate weights for your current level of strength and then help you know when you can try the next size up. I'm doing Chalean Extreme at home and it's great, I'm on week 3 and I've already had to bump up my weights on several exercises to keep it challenging enou for what I'm supposed to be doing. There are other great programs you can use if you have the right equipment at home or if you go to a gym - things like New Rules of Lifting for Women and Strong Lifts - I'm not a gym member yet and don't have the appropriate equipment at home so I'm doing the CLX program until I can join a gym.

Pushups are great for your arms (and ither areas as well) and you can also do tricep dips to help with that backswing on the arms, if you don't have the money to spend on an expensive program or gym membership. And there are tons of exercises you can do wi resistance bands if you want to try building up a little strength that way and save some cash so you're not spending money on small weights that you will outgrow shortly.
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    All "heavy" means is that it's heavy for you. That may mean 5 pounds, 10 pounds, or 30 pounds. There are all kinds of things you can find online. I've personally done New Rules of Lifting for Women (which I really liked) and currently I'm reading You Are Your Own Gym, which is great for doing things at home and getting stronger and building muscle with your own body weight (no gym or equipment necessary). Since I'm struggling with getting time at the gym, I might try that program next - it looks challenging and promising (and that's after finishing the NROLFW program). You can get both of those books at the library so you can get ideas without buying the book. Otherwise, there are lots of DVDs available too if you want to go that route. Check out collagevideo.com where you can read tons of video reviews and see clips so you know what they are all about before buying. There are also plenty of free videos online - but I've never used them, so I couldn't tell you where to find them. Do a search and I'm sure tons of things will come up. Good luck!
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Exercise Bands

Get exercise bands...Start there and work your way to weights....I saw someone say pushups...but if weights are too heavy for you...doing one pushup will be such a struggle COULD discourage you.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Anyone can lift "heavy" as that just means heavy for you, nobody starts out really strong (most people don't anyway!)

Heavy doesn't mean lifting massive amounts of weight, it all depends on your capabilities. If you are lifting a weight for approx 6 reps and the last 1 or 2 reps are a struggle (still good form) then you are lifting heavy! :smile:

The programs others on this thread have mentioned are a great idea: NROLFW, starting strength, stronglifts 5x5 etc etc I've heard good reviews about them all.
  • Kari089
    Kari089 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    And there are tons of exercises you can do wi resistance bands if you want to try building up a little strength that way and save some cash so you're not spending money on small weights that you will outgrow shortly.

I started out with and still use resistance bands. They work great and really are kind to your joints. There are many out there that can offer you different levels of resistance. Start out small and then increase it when you get stronger. You really get a great workout. Good luck!
  • stephenatl09
    stephenatl09 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    just get some cans out of the pantry and start curling them for your bicep and do kickbacks (search this on youtube if needed) for the tricep. Everyone has to start somewhere !! See where you are. If the cans are too light for you find something heavier. You can get a set of dumbbells or bands if that suits you but there are a lot of household items you can use to start out without spending any money.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    shake weights seem to be popular again
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    i have always had huge arms with absolutely no upper body strength to speak of.

I started out lifting 8 pounds in february.

I am now lifting (2 sets of 30 and 2 sets of 35lbs)

I haven't noticed a huge difference in my arms yet, but i'm stronger than I was so SOMETHING has to be working. I'm hoping my arms will shrink, but I'm kind of nervous i will have a lot of loose skin. Nevertheless, I will continue my the arm weights and I intend to go up to 35 & 40lbs soon.
  • alhoward8
    alhoward8 Posts: 65
    Options
    I've been using a rowing machine at the gym for a few months now and I can REALLY tell a difference in my arms. I don't do any weight/resistance training so I know that the chanages are all due to the rowing.
  • gordonx4
    gordonx4 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I love the exercise bands. After recovering from a broken arm, i had to use the bands to get my arm working again. You can get them for about $4 a band, look around the internet for the best price. They come in different resistance, so as you get stronger you can move to the next color. I started with orange which is 4.5 to 7 lbs resistance and went up from there. They really help and they are low impact, so your least likely to over do it. Here is a chart to show you what the resistance is for each band.

extra- light red 3 - 5 lbs.
    light orange 4.5 - 7 lbs.
    light-medium yellow 6 - 9 lbs.
    medium green 8 - 12 lbs.
    medium-heavy blue 10 - 15 lbs.
    heavy indigo 15 - 22.5 lbs.
    extra- heavy violet 20.5 - 30.5 lbs.
  • duetwithjosh
    Options
    I've been using a rowing machine at the gym for a few months now and I can REALLY tell a difference in my arms. I don't do any weight/resistance training so I know that the chanages are all due to the rowing.

I like the rowing machine :D I feel like I get a pretty decent full body workout with good cardio, too.
  • feathernodot
    Options
    if you go to walmart on line there are some forearm weights that like sleeves pretty light 2 lbs each if u were them your hands are free great for just daily activities and add to resistance excercise i think julian micheals is the maker there under 20 and she also makes some calf wieghts for walking
  • Kay2405
    Kay2405 Posts: 54
    Options
    Thank you for the advice, guys.

I live in the UK, so I don't think we have a Walmart here :)

I might give those resistance bands a try, lots of people on here seem to be rating them, so it's worth a go.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Pushups - modify by dropping your knees or elevating your hands so that your body is at an incline. Start against a wall and then just find things that are lower and lower until you can do one from the floor. Form is key here, so master each modification then move on.

Tricep Pushups/Chataranga (http://www.theragear.com/exercise/yoga_position_chataranga.php) - modify by dropping your knees to the floor.

Downward Dog with Leg extensions (http://www.yogamazing.com/asanas/dog1pose.html) - if this bothers your wrists you can do it from your forearms (called dolphin pose) but you shouldn't be putting any weight on your head or neck - support yourself from your shoulders and triceps.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Bands are nicely portable too....so you can take them anywhere.
    Heavy is a relative term....it's all about pushing yourself. 6 months ago, I couldn't do a single pushup. Now I can do around 60.
    Good luck to you :)
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Bench Press, Overhead Press, and Chin-Ups (or Pulldowns with a Chin-Up grip). Curls not needed.

Also, excellent bands here: http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=CB&cid=138&bid=210

My gym has these, and they're pretty good for a variety of exercises. I honestly prefer straight weight (barbells and maybe dumbbells and cable machines), but these can definitely be good for a variety of exercises.
  • Raddichio
    Raddichio Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    save for later
  • jeyko
    jeyko Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to get rid of the same thing. I'm doing arm curls, push ups with 5-10lb weights. AND today I came up with the idea to wear wrist weights while folding laundry. Not sure if it will help but man my arms were burning at the time!