Weight loss while breastfeeding

Options

Replies

• FITMOMMA6
    Options
    wow! that's amazing....it seems like i'm hungry all the time and gaining weight :( Gotta keep at it tho!
  • kristinL16
    kristinL16 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Are you logging what you are eating to see how many calories you are eating?
  • N4monsters
    N4monsters Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I am nursing a 6.5mo old and have lost almost 30lbs so far (I weighed 170lbs at delivery) . I am eating 1900 calories right now and with exercise I can eat up to 2400 calories. I may not have the best 40/30/30, but I'm still loosing! Breastfeeding is the most important thing to me right now so I'm making sure that my calorie intake is high enough so my milk supply doesn't drop.

You can calculate your your caloric needs while breastfeeding here: http://www.freedieting.com/tools/breastfeeding_calorie_calculator.htm

That will be a start! If you want, add me as a friend! I try to help encourage everyone! :)
  • saralynn594
    saralynn594 Posts: 321
    Options
    Hey!! I am breastfeeding as well,have been for almost 10 months now and I stay at 1500-2000.I drink a TON of water every single day and in 9 1/2 months I've lost 66 pounds :D:D And just last week started working out...Its nice to have some extra calories daily lol
  • bfbooty
    bfbooty Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I am bf my 1 year old I add 250 cals extra a day to eat as she is well established on solids but still feeds a lot especially at night, up till last couple of weeks I have been losing weight consistently I have lost 29lb since January, I do need to get out of this plateau
    now but otherwise bf has not hindered my weight loss at all I have bf friends who are also losing weight consistently following either mfp or weight watchers or slimming world
  • kristinL16
    Options
    I am nursing a 6.5mo old and have lost almost 30lbs so far (I weighed 170lbs at delivery) . I am eating 1900 calories right now and with exercise I can eat up to 2400 calories. I may not have the best 40/30/30, but I'm still loosing! Breastfeeding is the most important thing to me right now so I'm making sure that my calorie intake is high enough so my milk supply doesn't drop.

You can calculate your your caloric needs while breastfeeding here: http://www.freedieting.com/tools/breastfeeding_calorie_calculator.htm

That will be a start! If you want, add me as a friend! I try to help encourage everyone! :)

Just curious what calorie goal freedieting gave you for breastfeeding. They calculated my "caloric needs while breastfeeding" at 1620, which is less than 100 calories more than what they said my TDEE is without taking breastfeeding into account. Is their calculation low for everyone or just me?
  • mermeg11
    mermeg11 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone! I have a 2 1/2 year old and a 3 month old and I just joined today! If anyone wants to friend me it would be nice to have fellow mothers as diet buddies! I'm bf also and wondering how to add calories to my total...
  • JanSmelly
    JanSmelly Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    HI, I', a BF mom of a two month old! My goal is to lose about 25lbs. MFP has me on a 1200/day, but with BF I've upped it to 1300/day which I'm more than comfortable with. I've also started to do insanity workouts 4-5 times a week. When I started I was worried that 1300 wasn't enough and that it would affect my supply, but so far it hasn't. I'm trying to reach my goal by the end of July before my husband comes home ffrom deployment, I guess you could say I'm on a mission! Good luck on your journey, I'm sure you'll do great!

Feel free to add me, along with any other BF moms. The more motivation the better!

Please be careful of rapid weight loss. Fat soluble toxins may be released into your milk with low calories. Also you may be compromising your own health.

I am still breastfeeding my 22 month old, but I no longer add in calories because she only nurses 3 times a day.
  • sarag2012
    sarag2012 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Wow - great to see so many feeding mummies on here!
    Im currently breastfeeding my 2nd baby (10 weeks old) and MFP gave me almost 1400 calories a day to lose 1lbs a week and I add 500 for BF. Im quite lucky that BF has helped me lose all the weight I put on during pregnancy but I still need to lose the weight I put on before I got pregnant.
    Am also doing C25K three times a week and am about to start 30 day shred.
    Would love some mummy friends so feel free to add me :)
  • kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Just curious if anyone out there is trying to lose while breastfeeding an infant?
    And if so, what's a normal day like for you calorie wise??
    I'd love to hear success stories on what worked. For some reason things aren't just melting away like they did with my first lol

I went to a nutritionist to lose weight while breastfeeding my first son. She figured an additional 500 calories to support milk production. So, if I were breastfeeding right now (ha ha...it's been 24 years since my 4th child stopped), I would be losing weight on 1850 Cal's instead of 1350.
  • lakaymwen
    Options
    I'm breastfeeding a 5.5 month old and a 2.5 year old. My suggested caloric intake was 1290 and I added 300 calories to make it 1590 a day. I've lost 20 lb in the last 3 months and have lost all of my pregnancy weight plus the extra 5 I never lost with my daughter. I also drink 160-200 oz of water a day which I think helps.
  • lesleyls
    lesleyls Posts: 24
    Options
    Man I wish I had this site 4 years ago when I bf my son! I have 2 boys and bf them each for 2 years. I lost weight with my first son, who's now 7, much faster but I exercised much more also because of my wedding. I went up to 190 with my second son and only went down 10 lbs but I think it had a lot to with my depression. I'm finally losing weight lol so don't be discouraged if you don't drop the weight that fast. Big props to all the breastfeeding mommies! Anyone feel free to add me as a friend, we could all support eachother!
  • kristinL16
    Options
    Hello Everyone! I have a 2 1/2 year old and a 3 month old and I just joined today! If anyone wants to friend me it would be nice to have fellow mothers as diet buddies! I'm bf also and wondering how to add calories to my total...

I have always heard that you should add 500, especially in the early months, but some people here have said 300. I would start with 500 and go from there.
  • bfbooty
    bfbooty Posts: 189 Member
    Options

I have always heard that you should add 500, especially in the early months, but some people here have said 300. I would start with 500 and go from there.

you burn 500 cals a day when ebf as no solids no formula just mommas milk feeding baby this is fact once feeds reduce and solids are introduced you obviously burn less, i add 250 cals a day as my lo still feeds quite a lot refusing any water formula or juice e.t.c but is on solids now so not feeding as much as she was before.

the guidline is 500 cals when ebf and 250 cals when solids are introduced
  • jipsybird
    jipsybird Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    {quote}
    {quote}

When you add food to your diary look up breast feeding. You can pick one you think fits.

I am also bfing a 9mo. The weight has been coming off so slow, but I'm starting to workout more now that I have my eating more under control. I'm training to run my first 5k and it really helps motivate me to keep moving. I also have a toddler turning 3 in August.

I can use some extra support from other moms who are going through the same thing. Together, we can do this!
  • sasarafo
    sasarafo Posts: 18
    Options
    I am currently still breastfeeding my almost 10 month old. I aim for 1900 calories a day (I was eating a lot less and actually lost nothing until I ate more!). I also walk very briskly for 5.5 to 9km a day and just started adding the 30 Day Shred this morning for the next month.

To be honest some days I find it hard to eat 1900 calories without just eating crap. I am trying to eat much cleaner, no processed food, etc. I have a son with many food allergies so it is partially for our health and partially because he can't eat so many commercially processed foods.

I have a long road to go...another 40lbs or so. Just going to take it one day at a time. Feel free to add me as a friend if you like :) Nice to see so many other nursing moms out there!
  • amyvt76
    amyvt76 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am no sure how to adjust my goals to lose 1 pd a week while bf. My son is almost 7 weeks old. I am down to 144 which is 3lbs less than pre preg weight. I would like to get to 130 without affecting milk supply. Anyone know how I can do this on here????? It says I should eat 1200 cals a day, which is not nearly enough with ebf. Any help? Would love friends in the same boat!
  • mom2scc
    mom2scc Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    wow it so good to see so many bfing moms! i am also bfing mom to my 16mth old daughter.she to point i dont add cals because it more snacks to her
  • kristinL16
    Options
    amyvt76--you can change your goals manually by going to your profile and doing custom goals. I just added 500 to the goal they gave me (1200) but you can also do more complex calculations with your BMR/TDEE/etc. For me the two methods end up to be about the same amount of calories but many others end up with more cals per day by subtracting 10-20% off of your TDEE (and then adding 500 for your breastfeeding). You can calculate your TDEE on various websites if you google it.
  • Cuddlebug12
    Cuddlebug12 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hey Everyone! I just had my second daughter just over 3 months ago and have decided to start trying to lose weight! I'm going to aim to workout about 3 times a week! I went to the freedieting website and it says I should be consuming 2093 calories while breastfeeding and that was with 3 workouts a week! MFP has me at 1480 calories a day and I came in way under that today... guess I'm not eating enough for workingout and breastfeeding! Thanks for sharing that link!!

Anyone feel free to Add me!