Becoming a runner

Options
so i really want to be able to run 5Ks and stuff so whats the best way to start everyday i run a mile warm up in lax and now that its ending im gonna start running real long on my treadmill. whats the best way to build my endurance i read that if your starting try walking for 1 min and run for 3 or 4 min and do that like 5 times is that good? if you werent a good runner and are really good can you tell me your running schedule on how you got so good

Replies

• 2Grtkids
    2Grtkids Posts: 93
    Options
    Have you done the Couch to 5k program? If not, google it. It's the best I've found.
  • sgmomma
    sgmomma Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    www.coolrunnings.com c25k program...I'm on week 7 I completely believe in it. Prior to this i could barely run after my kids let alone 2.5 miles but here I am!
  • hayleydev13
    hayleydev13 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    The couch to 5k app for iPhone/iPod is really good. Ive been doing it for 6 weeks and have gone from not being able to run any more than 30 secs to running for 15-20 mins at a time. Hopefully in the next few weeks I'll be able to do run 5k
  • soontobesam
    soontobesam Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    C25K Program. Today will be Week 1, Day 3 for me so I have a long way to go but its the best place for me to start.

I track my whole workout (miles, time, mph, estimated calories etc) using the Endomondo app and I use Ullrey Podcasts as my trainer for the actual C25K portion (plays music but directs you when to jog and when to walk).

I'm still at the very beginning - I dread it while I'm jogging BUT I can't stop smiling after I'm done and I'm excited to get back out there after lunch.
  • kkmarie11
    kkmarie11 Posts: 114
    Options
    im an okay runner and i was looking at the plan do you think i will get the same results if i dont start at week one since i find that to easy do you think if its okay if i just start it at like week 3
  • soontobesam
    soontobesam Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    It's your fitness goal and your weight loss goal - so ultimately you should do what works for YOU. I'm a novice runner so it's important to me to follow the program to the T.
  • willismack2
    Options
    Yes, you can start at week 3 if you are comfortable there. Good Luck
  • pkfrankel
    pkfrankel Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    If you were starting from scratch, I would suggest run 1 minute, walk 2 minutes. But since you can already run one mile, I would suggest running one mile three days a week. Then set one day, preferably Saturday or Sunday, to run one and a half miles. Then back to one mile a day during the week and two miles the next Saturday. Keep increasing your distance weekly and you will be at 3.1 miles in no time.

Best of luck from one (former) lax player to another.
  • kkmarie11
    kkmarie11 Posts: 114
    Options
    i like that idea a lot since everyday (mon-sat) we have a mile run in lax on Sundays im gonna step it up thanks for the help guys!