People haven't noticed

Options
13»

Replies

• betterby30
    betterby30 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My good friends have just started saying things, after about 80lbs. People at work said things sooner. I have trouble knowing how to deal with their comments, so that not a lot of people had said anything didn't actually bother me much! I think it just needs to reach a critical mass (haha), then the comments will come in heaps! :)
  • koumbay
    koumbay Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming maybe people are just afraid to say anything, I can notice just from your profile headshot, I'm sure there are many other changes on all of your body, I'm sorry no one has commented, but just keep at it, the comments will start to come. But you are doing this for you, not them so don't let them discourage you, you're doing great, and the scale will tell you so!!
  • JMHJess
    JMHJess Posts: 24
    Options
    I NEVER say anything to people unless they ask me or if it is someone I am really close to. I think it is a touchy subject for many people and they don't know how to address it. They could be jealous too! Congrats on losing 40 pounds. The real reward is a healthy body!
  • thriftycupl
    thriftycupl Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Just remember that you are doing this for you. If they notice, great. If not, you definitely notice the difference. Stay the course and do what's best for you! Congratulations and keep going!
  • karmaticgeek
    Options
    I lost 60 lbs before and nobody said anything to my face. I later found out they were all gossiping and telling each other how amazing my transformation was haha. They were just afraid to congratulate me in case I got offended. So don't worry, I bet they have noticed but aren't sure whether you'll be offended somehow.
  • TheLittleVoice91
    Options
    I know how you feel. I went from a size 10 to a 6 (UK) in like 6 months and nobody noticed. It sucks!
  • limesublime
    limesublime Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I think people are sometimes afraid to compliment weight loss because the run the risk of insulting your 'previous' self. Like I once had someone say "Wow you look great! You were really - ugggh yeah, you know- BIG before before, but you turned it around!" I don't think he meant to be rude, but I kinda thought Geez I didn't know you were judging me before.

Also been in the situation where I've complimented someone on their weight loss only to find it is a result of some sort of terrible health issue. Then I feel like an *kitten* for congratulating someone on cancer or something :\

Just a thought.
  • bunnzye2
    bunnzye2 Posts: 56
    Options
    I remember going through that feeling a long time ago (I've lost weight hundreds of times). But this was a significant weight loss, smaller clothes, the works. and not ONE person noticed. I didnt feel like a failure, I felt like nobody really wanted to accept the fact that I had lost weight, and just didnt want to encourage me to lose more. I'm talking my close circle of friends and co-workers here. Nope, nobody said a word.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    I think the more you weigh, the more you have to lose before people notice.
    In the past, knowing several people who have lost weight with about 50 pounds to lose total; it takes about a 20 pound loss before people you work with every day notice you lost anything.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Eventually people will start to notice. For, me this started happening more and more after I'd lost about 60 pounds. Enjoy this time, eventually you will have so many comments you'll start to get sick of it.
  • rhichi
    rhichi Posts: 133
    Options
    So, interesting story. I wasn't getting many comments either after dropping 20 lbs, and then my fiance told me that our friend asked him if I was really ill. She said I looked great but she didn't want to comment to me in case I had "some sort of wasting disease" (her exact words apparently). Perhaps for one reason or another, they're hesitant to mention it in case you aren't doing it intentionally. Also, they may be afraid you'll take it the wrong way and assume they're saying that you used to be super fat.
  • irishcanadianwoman
    Options
    U r losing weight and getting healthy for u not others. Don't worry about what they say or don't say. Focus on how u feel and look when u look in the mirror.

Excellent advice!
    I would not comment on someone's body unless I (1) knew them very well (2) knew they were trying to lose weight (3) knew they were not ill and weight loss was positive for them (4) they told me they wanted my opinion!!!
    Get healthy for yourself.
  • pstaceyca
    pstaceyca Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    How can you say you are not successful...you lost almost 40lbs!!!!! That is success girl!!
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SusanLovesToEat
    SusanLovesToEat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should treat yourself to some better fitting clothes?
  • skinnieminniemouse
    Options
    I have been doing this for about 18 months and only my partners grandad has said something, he said "I hope I don't offend you but have you slimmed down" he was worried about hurting my feelings.
    I think most people don't like to say something incase the person feels like they are saying they were fat before. Focus on seeing the changes for yourself, the rest will come :)

They probably do notice, but just don't want you to be hurt if they say you look a lot better
  • fromfattofine
    fromfattofine Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Don't feel bad, I've lost 65lbs and no one has said a word to me either. It doesn't bother me at all cause I'd rather them not make such a huge deal over it. I do better just going through this transformation by myself without all of the acknowledgement from others.

I know it probably makes you feel better knowing that someone noticed but you've done so well. You are losing weight so you're doing something right. Keep at it and before you know it, your weight loss will creep up on them and you'll probablly get tired of people making such a fuss over you, lol. You are doing great!
  • KarenJC2012
    Options
    Keep doing what you're doing Gwen - you're doing great work. You know what you've achieved and that's what matters. People can be funny like that - I've experienced the same thing in the past - the trick is to not let it get you down. Don't worry about the weigh-in - you've put in the hard work and it will pay off in the end. Chin up!
  • Yunnieh
    Yunnieh Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    sometimes people are jealous,so they act like they dont notice and dont care.
  • moonchyld62
    moonchyld62 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Just remember where you started and where you are currently.. Don't lose sight of that! I have been told by others since they would see me everyday, they didn't notice. Then all of a sudden I'd wear something that fit my form better and EVERYONE noticed. I had to lose about 40-45 lbs. before the majority of people noticed and once they did, compliments were flying. Be patient and remember the only one you are truly doing this for is YOU. Noone else matters! YOU DO! And that alone should bring you satisfaction as you know you are going down, down down, in weight! Good luck!