cardio or strength? for more results in weight loss

Options
Dont know exactly how much cardio and strength exercises should i do to maximize the weight loss.
Advises?

Replies

• HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    All you need to lose weight is a calorie deficit. This can come through food or exercise or both, it doesn't matter.
    A lot of people say that cardio is best for weight loss, but this is only because it burns more calories, if you already have the deficit in food (which MFP sets everyone aiming to lose, up with anyway) then it's not necessary, aside from cardiovascular benefits.
    Strength training however, helps to minimise the muscle loss. Most people when they lose weight, lose a combination of fat and muscle. A good strength training program with sufficient protein, helps to keep the loss mostly fat :smile:

From personal experience, I've never done any cardio on a regular basis, outside of general daily activities (walking etc), and a once a week body pump class. I have however, done strength training regularly for a few years now. I still manage to lose weight, because I keep the deficit there through food (and eat exercise calories back, to ensure the deficit doesn't get even larger)

Most people would agree that a combination of both strength training and cardio with produce optimum results.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    For more change in your body size and shape, strength training. Hands down.

You might not see as dramatic of a change on the scale, but that's because you're keeping more of your dense muscle mass and losing more of the marshmallow fluff body fat.

I'm certainly not AGAINST cardio, since I'm a runner. But heavy weights give you more bang for your buck.
  • bossmodehan
    bossmodehan Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I agree with these ladies! i would put my success down to resistance training and clean (as possible) eating. i do cardio regularly but more because i enjoy it and it helps regulate my mood. i'm also training for a race, which will obviously involve more running - not sure of many ways i can fundraise through squats etc!
  • lifeskittles
    lifeskittles Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Combine them :D
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Neither one is going to make you lose weight any better. Losing weight has to do with having a calorie deficit, period. You can have a caloric deficit without any exercise at all.

Cardio burns more calories, but strength builds muscle and makes your body actually look better. I do both.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    It's really about the calorie deficit, like others have said. That being said, I have seen incredible improvements with 4 days of lifting heavy and hard for about 45min-1hr and only minimal cardio 3 days a week (30 min tops).
  • kelseyk14
    kelseyk14 Posts: 95
    Options
    It really depends on the type of results that you want. If you just want to be skinny than have a calorie deficit and do lots of cardio, if you want to be thin AND toned then do interval training weight weights!